Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    oh goody :D

You can plaster it all over you books in September. It was you that mentioned that you were waiting on CAO or have I got the wrong poster. You'll look so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

this is so incorrect i don't even know where to begin.

People are still criticising the DCC for the new matinee proposal, they need to read what the response of the DCC was to Aiken's proposal,
    they will only approve it on foot of an updated Event Management Plan...the onus is on Aitken and the GAA to prove they can do this safely before they will approve it.
    The discomfort and cost to fans getting to and from the gig has never been the concern of the DCC, neither is the potential to make profits. The proper running of the 'event' taking into account safety and nuisance is their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

secman wrote: »
    Going forward, we should adopt a similar situation that is in the Uk, all venues are assessed and have a set number of maximum days and then nobody can ever cause a fck up like we have just had. Takes it out of promoter's, artists, stadium owners, council's, politicians hands.

Sigh. Ireland is too corrupt for that sensible approach to work. Even if it were introduced, and it showed be, the promoters would just grease the palms of people who can change the legistlation at the drop of a hat. Look at DCC in this case, allowing three concerts, then five, when they shouldn't have allowed any.

And it's not just the people in 'power' who are corrupt. Any GB ticketholders who want legistlation changed or ignored to suit them fall into that category too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MOD:
    As the last Mod warning seems to been lost in the depths of the thread please allow me to restate some basics.

Be civil.
    Attack the post not the poster. Personal attacks will result in a banning.
    Do a little search before jumping in with points that have been thoroughly debated already.

Remember that this is a music forum and we are supposed to be discussing music. Mods have (rightly) allowed the topic to flare out about from that rigid boundary but lets not take the piss, we are still a music based forum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I mourned and grieved all fùcking day on tuesday at the news of these gigs. News came last night that enda was intervening and more news came about today there was due to be a meeting at 12, moved to 3, then 5pm. News came as well that the croker objectors were happy for the gigs to go ahead now. Giving false hope to people. Like wtf is happening? I want my money back from the tickets I bought at this stage and I never want to step foot in the dirty kip that is dublin again until I step on fùcking plane to get out from this sh1thole of country.

This reaction is acceptable in under 16s only if dealing with One Direction or whoever.
    Seriously, if your an adult, you need to get some help. This is out of all proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    This reaction is acceptable in under 16s only if dealing with One Direction or whoever.
    Seriously, if your an adult, you need to get some help. This is out of all proportion.

no it's not, especially when some of us have been fans of his for over 20 years and 1 he hasn't been in Ireland for 17 years, 2 some of us were too young to go to see the concert back then and 3 this is his first show in outside of the U.S in over ten years and 4 we have been excited about this since February.

I have been in tears myself over this concert and I have no problem saying that either. I've been waiting 20 years to see him live

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

leahyl wrote: »
    Well, there's no chance of it happening so - the council won't back down I'd say
    well they've backed down from:

"3 gigs is as much as the area can hold"

to:

"actually we were offering 4 gigs privately (ignore what we said about 3 being the max the area can handle)"

to

"actually we'll do 5 gigs in 3 days and all the disruption that goes with it"

they may as well just go the whole hog and say 5 gigs in 5 nights now.

i don't know how, legally they can do that, but at the same time i don't know how, legally, they were offering 5 gigs in 3 days, given the licence application wasn't for that, and it's too late to resubmit, and licences can't be changed, apparently....

to:

"actually we were offering 4 gigs privately (ignore what we said about 3 being the max the area can handle)"

to

i don't know how, legally they can do that, but at the same time i don't know how, legally, they were offering 5 gigs in 3 days, given the licence application wasn't for that, and it's too late to resubmit, and licences can't be changed, apparently....

this is so wrong.
    They offered 4 before the official application went in, in an effort to diffuse what they thought (and underestimated) would be a ****storm and out of concern for the fans.

Aiken refused that compromise, and insisted, against advice, on applying for 5. There is one person responsible for that.

Legally the matinee proposal is sound...it does NOT break the licencing law as all 5 events will be within the 3 days. And as of yet it is just a proposal, it will still have to be approved legally on foot of an updated Event Management Plan.

Read what the DCC are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

to:

to

We'll see by the end of the day I guess ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Happyman42 wrote: »
    People are still criticising the DCC for the new matinee proposal, they need to read what the response of the DCC was to Aiken's proposal, they will only approve it on foot of an updated Event Management Plan...the onus is on Aitken and the GAA to prove they can do this safely before they will approve it.

At which point they will refuse again as it's actually impossible to move 80,000 people travelling in head on directions within such a confined area over a 2 hour period safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Years and years of gigs and events and no problems, licencing worked well for everyone alike.

Sit down and ask yourself why this one didn't

Didn't residents object to the extra concert for U2 in 2009?
    The DCC did not listen to them then, obviously. Corporate
    GAA have been totally disrespectful towards the locals for years.
    Maybe, after this fiasco, they will be forced to change their
    brow beating attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

An alternative reading of that is that DCC have bent over backwards to try to compromise within the terms of the event licence and GB hasn't compromised at all- hasn't even come up with a single alternative arrangement as far as I'm aware.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Didn't residents object to the extra concert for U2 in 2009?

The DCC did not listen to them then, obviously. Corporate
    GAA have been totally disrespectful towards the locals for years.
    Maybe, after this fiasco, they will be forced to change their
    brow beating attitude.

I don't think it's been forgotten how this whole mess started. Residents using the Garth Brooks gigs as a bargaining chip in their legal issues with the GAA over the Handball Centre and of course the forged objections which is still under investigation by the Gardaí.

I'd also say that after this fiasco the GAA if anything will be more hardlined towards residents
    baaba maal wrote: »
    An alternative reading of that is that DCC have bent over backwards to try to compromise within the terms of the event licence and GB hasn't compromised at all- hasn't even come up with a single alternative arrangement as far as I'm aware.

Not at all, that is a statement that is basically as fuck you to everyone and they are still staying stubborn and is an attempt of trying to take blame off them and foist onto Garth.

DCC have completely contridicted themselves with the latest statement as they are now intensfying all the factors that they refused the extra 2 nights for in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Apparently Bob Doyle, brooks manager, is emailing Enda later today with a view to stepping in again for the sake of the ticket holders.
    This is like a ride at funderland that you hate but can't get off till the end now ha
    Dcc have come out badly on this I can see this city manager having to step down or forced out for all this mad eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I never want to step foot in the dirty kip that is dublin again until I step on fùcking plane to get out from this sh1thole of country.

You're just being nasty now. Stop slagging off our wonderful capital and amazing country because your not going to a concert. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

How can you have a concert with 80,000 people, clear them out, clear up and have 80,000 people barrelling back in again a couple of hours later? And assuming that many have multiple tickets, they will be staying in the stadium?

Lets cancel the whole thing, hire out a big field down in Laois or wherever in September and let them at it.

miju wrote: »
    I don't think it's been forgotten how this whole mess started. Residents using the Garth Brooks gigs as a bargaining chip in their legal issues with the GAA over the Handball Centre and of course the forged objections which is still under investigation by the Gardaí.

I think it's the latter that has made the residents back down as now thru all look bad from it as for the handball issues they were the driving force behind most of this as that o brien lad had brought them up from the very start.
    It is all over the gaa suing something like 500 families but not sure on the full details on that so don't quote me!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You're just being nasty now. Stop slagging off our wonderful capital and amazing country because your not going to a concert. Thank you.

As a born , bred and buttered Dub myself I wouldnt exactly call our city wonderful unless you think junkies walking along the Liffey and O Connell street as wonderful.
    Dcc have come out badly on this I can see this city manager having to step down or forced out for all this mad eh!

He has no credibility and should be sacked straight away at this stage

lazza14 wrote: »
    So the inbred hick is coming after all ....

All the spud munching line dancers will be happy ..

Truly hateful - and hating - post!! :(:(

I'd also say that after this fiasco the GAA if anything will be more hardlined towards residents

Not at all, that is a statement that is basically as fuck you to everyone and they are still staying stubborn and is an attempt of trying to take blame off them and foist onto Garth.

DCC have completely contridicted themselves with the latest statement as they are now intensfying all the factors that they refused the extra 2 nights for in the first place.

Residents objected through the legal process just like they have done for many gigs that they saw as overstepping the agreement. Garth Brooks had nothing unique about it.
    Legally the DCC have not done anything outside the terms of the Licence. If they have please point out exactly what that is.

You are blaming the wrong people here, Brooks hasn't compromised one iota and Aiken was completely irresponsible insisting on applying for 5 nights against advice he was getting at the consultation phase. The GAA should not have allowed 5 nights to be sold in the first place.

• Advertisement

Makes you wonder what they have for brains!!

Where are all those people going to get accommodation when everywhere is
    booked out?

How are those organising the show expected to do a quick turnaround?
    Do they think they are Ryanair, ffs!!

I've come up with the solution!!
    Seeing as he mentioned Limerick again yesterday why not just Park The boat on the Shannon here.
    We are having a big screen in town for the Munster final on Sunday.. Now it's not gonna be 255ft long but it'll do for me ;)

As a born , bred and buttered Dub myself I wouldnt exactly call our city wonderful unless you think junkies walking along the Liffey and O Connell street as wonderful.

Use your refunded money to take a trip to Garth's current city of Tulsa, I was there for a week while doing Route 66.
    I have never seen so much poverty and homelessness in a city in the so called developed world.
    In other words...you need to get out more. :D

It brings up Health & Safety issues. It's a complete and utter clusterf&@k!!!

Which would make you wonder why the GSA said it would be OK!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The thrill of the ticket sale last jan was very exciting and nothing will beat that. The suspense was good but tbh I can't see any resulution even if Enda stepped in again ( which he probly won't and I believe he done his best). the matinee Idea just wud not work out and cud put people's life's in danger.

I lost my mother in jan so the excitement of the concert was a good healer but I'm gutted and just have to accept that I won't be in Croke park on the 25th July

Hopefully Garth does come here for his world tour possibly a week in the O2 or 3 days in Croke park or someother outdoor venue

Legally the DCC have not done anything outside the terms of the Licence. If they have please point out exactly what that is.

Certainly, there is a high court case going on atm regarding mobile licenses which relates to this case as the DCC didnt verify the objections being made so was undue process.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

There are some nice places in Dublin but for the most part it's a god damn dirty run down kip.

One of the stages of grieving is anger and you poor thing, you're lashing out now. As somebody who lived in the centre of Dublin for 20 years I'm qualified to say it has good and bad aspects. All it is really lacking is 400,000 people wearing cowboy hats for a weekend:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder what they have for brains!!

Where are all those people going to get accommodation when everywhere is
    booked out?

How are those organising the show expected to do a quick turnaround?
    Do they think they are Ryanair, ffs!!

You'll also have buses of people getting of the city. And buses of people getting into the city for the gigs.

Traffic would be a nightmare

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm on the verge of just shutting this thread down.

This is a music forum, if people want an excuse to attack Dublin- or anywhere- or anyone else- find a more suitable forum.

If this thread continues in this vein I will be supporting the mods in long bans for those responsible.

• Advertisement

You'll also have buses of people getting of the city. And buses of people getting into the city for the gigs.

Traffic would be a nightmare

I'm sure Aiken, who proposed it, will have all the answers when he submits the updated Event Management Plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement