Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'm sure Aiken, who proposed it, will have all the answers when he submits the updated Event Management Plan.

Have you being paying attention? There is no updated plan being submitted as he has rejected the 5 gigs in 3 days offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

If the morons actually listened to the press conference he ruled out matinee shows when asked about them and dead right too.
    Two matinee's?! Screens useless, fireworks useless and light show useless, he'll also be saving himself for the evening show.
    Oh and not to mention 80000 filling out while another 80000 file in!
    Sounds like a councils idea alright.
    And to think the people making these "decisions" are on nearly 200000 a year. Laughing stock.

It would seriously make you question the IQ of some people in DCC.
    Heard some people really push the matinee proposal on Prime Time last
    night. Absolutely bizarre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

miju wrote: »
    Have you being paying attention? There is no updated plan being submitted as he has rejected the 5 gigs in 3 days offer.

Not since the proposal was made afaik. Please post a source if he has addressed it.

I know he spoke about matinees in his press conference btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

well they've backed down from:

"3 gigs is as much as the area can hold"

to:

"actually we were offering 4 gigs privately (ignore what we said about 3 being the max the area can handle)"

to

"actually we'll do 5 gigs in 3 days and all the disruption that goes with it"

they may as well just go the whole hog and say 5 gigs in 5 nights now.

^This

I think this last point is what will likely happen tbh. If its become such a big issue that the Taoiseach is involved and commenting on it in the Dail, then Id say some kind of arrangement will be reached so that the gigs go ahead and as soon as GB is on the plane home they will change the laws to make sure this crap doesn't happen again.

as soon as GB is on the plane home they will change the laws to make sure this crap doesn't happen again.

I don't think Aiken or the GAA will be trying a stunt like this again...other promoters are happy with how the licencing system works and the evidence (years of no problems) suggests that it does work 99.95% of the time. That is a pretty good system if it is respected.

• Advertisement

Not since the proposal was made afaik. Please post a source if he has addressed it.

I know he spoke about matinees in his press conference btw.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/its-off-its-on-its-off-again-as-garth-rejects-new-deal-30423419.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Can he not put on a concert in the states and live stream it on his website ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

would you really be satisfied with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    would you really be satisfied with that?

Probably not, shure it'll be like a dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Just Youtube his earlier concerts if that's the case!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I think Garth and any potential tourists considering coming to Ireland should use this map as a basis for their trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

this is so wrong.
    They offered 4 before the official application went in, in an effort to diffuse what they thought (and underestimated) would be a ****storm and out of concern for the fans.

Aiken refused that compromise, and insisted, against advice, on applying for 5. There is one person responsible for that.

Legally the matinee proposal is sound...it does NOT break the licencing law as all 5 events will be within the 3 days. And as of yet it is just a proposal, it will still have to be approved legally on foot of an updated Event Management Plan.

Read what the DCC are saying.
    there's absolutely nothing wrong with what i said, you've confirmed it yourself :confused:

DCC offered 4 - so we know that their "any more than 3 is over-intensification" reason is nonsense. so clearly it's not a valid reason.
    if 3 is the max, why offer 4?
    if 4 is the max, why only grant 3?

they have no problem putting forward a proposal that has the "intensification" of the area occuring at the same level on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, instead of Monday and Tuesday evenings.
    the licence application states no music will start before 6pm, so how exactly does that conform to being "legally sound" for a matinee show?

DCC are just completely contradicting themselves at this stage, and whatever their reasons at the start for granting a licence for 3 gigs, they're just making it up as they go along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

cournioni wrote: »
    Moving 160,000 in and out of an arena that has a capacity of 80,000 in a space of an hour or two is a safety concern. No matter what anybody says.

Even the garda authorities!!!

there's absolutely nothing wrong with what i said, you've confirmed it yourself :confused:

DCC offered 4 - so we know that their "any more than 3 is over-intensification" reason is nonsense. so clearly it's not a valid reason.

they have no problem putting forward a proposal that has the "intensification" of the area occuring at the same level on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, instead of Monday and Tuesday evenings.
    the licence application states no music will start before 6pm, so how exactly does that conform to being "legally sound" for a matinee show?

Once the application was made and the licence issued there is no going back legally,(Aiken knew that, but tried to bully the 5 nights based on an 'the event was too big to be refused' strategy, he failed magnificently in that and you can only blame HIM for that) that protects us all from interference in planning, might not have worked for Brook fans this time BUT in all our interests this is a good system.
    The DCC DID NOT put forward the matinee proposal and have not 'approved' it yet..they have ONLY said that they WILL if the Event Management Plan is up to scratch.

They have behaved entirely responsibly here, and within the law of the country. Trust me, Enda is so desperate for the 400,000 votes, if Keegan did something wrong here or outside his remit, he would be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Anyone who wants to beg or let him know how badly this has put you out his pr email as follows:
    Garth Brooks
    Nancy Seltzer, Nancy Seltzer & Associates, nseltzer@nsapr.com, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

I don't think Aiken or the GAA will be trying a stunt like this again...other promoters are happy with how the licencing system works and the evidence (years of no problems) suggests that it does work 99.95% of the time. That is a pretty good system if it is respected.

That's a good point, but just one thing about that - has anyone actually broken a law here? I know the whole process has appeared very much arseways but is that whole idea of promote concert - > Sell tickets -> apply for permission afterwards the status quo that DCC have used until now, or did the promotion company / GAA actually break a law?

That's a good point, but just one thing about that - has anyone actually broken a law here? I know the whole process has appeared very much arseways but is that whole idea of promote concert - > Sell tickets -> apply for permission afterwards the status quo that DCC have used until now, or did the promotion company / GAA actually break a law?

Technically the promoter did (I am no expert on this) by selling tickets. But it would not be within the DCC's remit to issue proceedings against them for that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steven71

Mr.S wrote: »
    What so every event in Ireland in forever should never have happened?

Sorry I meant they shouldn't be selling tickets for events without the license they SHOULD have. If anything, this mess proves it.....

Apologies...hadn't seen that.

So much going on its been hard to keep track :D:D:D

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Even the garda authorities!!!

ESPECIALLY the Gardaí :P:P:P

Overtime and lots of it :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There is a wording on the statute books that says something like "you can't promote or advertise an event without planning permission" but that is just a sideline argument in the greater scheme of things.
    No rules have been broken yet and everyone has done what they should do. The issue arises from Mr.Aiken assuming that if you apply for a license you will be granted the license. He was "shocked" when the license application was refused based on complaints of people living in the area to be most affected by the 5 consecutive events.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Anyone who wants to beg or let him know how badly this has put you out his pr email as follows:
    Garth Brooks
    Nancy Seltzer, Nancy Seltzer & Associates, nseltzer@nsapr.com, :)

Just emailed her this on behalf of a partnership I am in...will be waiting with bated breath for a reply.

To whom it may concern,
    As a partnership who have promoted artists in Ireland from all over the world, we would like to express our disappointment at Mr Brooks rather condescending and patronising attitude to our laws (with which we all comply with and are and have been satisfied with) expressed at his press conference yesterday.
    Mr Brooks is not above the laws of this country, and his criticism should be directed at those he choose to represent him and who organised this event.
    We also suggest that like everybody else, he needs to learn to compromise.
    All music lovers in Ireland will be left to pick up the pieces of this shambles...a shambles Mr Brooks has significantly contributed to.
    The first thing he needs to do is respect the laws of the country he is visiting, the same as we would do if visiting his homeland.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

JUST ANNOUNCED ON GARTH BROOKS WEBSITE.. 4 GIGS GOING AHEAD!! VIDEO RELEASED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKshWnI3ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

blueb wrote: »

I'd start running now if I were you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

probably not the best time for rickrolling, my friend.

perfect stage for rick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

JUST ANNOUNCED ON GARTH BROOKS ...

Just announced by Mod - User Carded FOR TROLLING!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Technically the promoter did (I am no expert on this) by selling tickets. But it would not be within the DCC's remit to issue proceedings against them for that imo.

no the promoter didnt break any law by selling tickets "subject to licence"

there have been no laws broken, just a fcuked up system finally being exposed.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Just announced by Mod - User Carded FOR TROLLING!

Just announced by user.....

Mod carded for being a dry Sh1te:p

Goodbye Everybody :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement