Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

blueb wrote: »
    Just announced by user.....

Mod carded for being a dry Sh1te:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKshWnI3ok

Goodbye Everybody :)
    Bye. [Waves]

User banned.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no the promoter didnt break any law by selling tickets "subject to licence"

there have been no laws broken, just a fcuked up system finally being exposed.

True, but there is no evidence that the system is 'fcuked up' either. One refusal in years of successful events doesn't make it so I'm afraid and when the dust settles here, lessons will be learnt by everybody. Promoters: Don't assume anything, comply with protocols and proceedure. Punters: Buyer beware. Artists: Don't assume you are above the law. Venues: Ensure good relations with those you are affecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Happyman42 wrote: »
    True, but there is no evidence that the system is 'fcuked up' either. One refusal in years of successful events doesn't make it so, I'm afraid and when the dust settles here, lessons will be learnt by everybody. Promoters: Don't assume anything, comply with protocols and proceedure. Punters: Buyer beware. Artists: Don't assume you are above the law. Venues: Ensure good relations with those you are affecting.

On that last point, how hard would it have been for Aiken and GAA to have called a meeting with the residents and inform them of their intent to add 2 more shows, I mean there was a gap between the 3 and 2 nights tickets going on sale, they could have easily met with them and maybe avoided some of the problems.

calex71 wrote: »
    On that last point, how hard would it have been for Aiken and GAA to have called a meeting with the residents and inform them of their intent to add 2 more shows, I mean there was a gap between the 3 and 2 nights tickets going on sale, they could have easily met with them and maybe avoided some of the problems.

Very hard, it seems. Relations have not been good there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

calex71 wrote: »

I think thats a large part of the reason why this has all happened. If they had kept it to the original 3 dates, absolutely none of this discussion would be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Mushy wrote: »
    I think thats a large part of the reason why this has all happened. If they had kept it to the original 3 dates, absolutely none of this discussion would be happening.

Like yourself, I am just an observer of all this, but I clearly remember being
    gobsmacked when all the extra GB concerts were announced. My sympathies
    were for the residents at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

True, but there is no evidence that the system is 'fcuked up' either. One refusal in years of successful events doesn't make it so I'm afraid and when the dust settles here, lessons will be learnt by everybody. Promoters: Don't assume anything, comply with protocols and proceedure. Punters: Buyer beware. Artists: Don't assume you are above the law. Venues: Ensure good relations with those you are affecting.

well thats exactly the problem....

and thats what is wrong with the law as it stands.

it simply should not be acceptable that 3 weeks before an event planned for 6 months beforehand is refused a license.
    neither should there be no appeals or amendment process.
    neither should it be the executive power of one person.

pure common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

it simply should not be acceptable that 3 weeks before an event planned for 6 months beforehand is refused a license.

Clearly it wasn't planned very well if the licence application wasn't put in 6 months ago.

How would you propose framing a 'law' that deals with what you bolded?
    it simply should not be acceptable that 3 weeks before an event
    The DCC had no power to stop Aiken submitting his application, all they could do (and they say they did this) was point out problems during what is (Brooks confirmed this) an exhaustive and comprehensive consultation process. (details of that process are on DCC's website and are very transparent) Aiken choose the timing of his application, there was nothing to stop him doing it earlier.
    planned for 6 months beforehand is refused a license.
    Aiken' advertising and planning has nothing to do with the DCC. They did their jobs from the get-go.
    If the consultation process is used properly there should be no need for an appeals process (that is fraught with dangers of political intervention) and the evidence of years of successful events highlights this.
    One person signed the licence, to suggest that he is the only person contributing and deciding on the issues is a bit of a stretch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Why is anyone debating who's to blame for only 3 concerts??

Did they not watch that cringey stage drama staring Garth b and produced by Zanex?
    He cares about nothing or nobody other than stroking his own ego.

I wouldn't want to have a drink with him, never mind paying to see him.

He should be grateful he still has paying fans. And that not everyone sees him as I do. an uninteresting pretentious 90s relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Just emailed her this on behalf of a partnership I am in...will be waiting with bated breath for a reply.

I respect that opinion sure but he's not really to blame on the whole thing, after selling 400000+ tickets 5 months ago to be told 3 weeks before they due to go ahead that you can't have 2 must make it look really silly to him and probably other artists would feel the same.
    It sounds like he's put a lot of effort into these shows and to be told that at the last minute is a kick in the teeth wouldn't most agree on that?
    A simple amendment to the application for these licences to state that the application must be in 20 or 30 weeks before shows are due to take place gives everyone a chance to get the go ahead or cancel with a reasonable amount of time before the shows.
    I think at this stage everyone just wants the 5 shows to be done and this whole fiasco put to bed as it's more drawn out than summer signings in the football transfer market!!

I respect that opinion sure but he's not really to blame on the whole thing,

I didn't blame him for the 'whole thing', but he is to blame for some of it and my email is criticising what 'he' had to say at his press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

And has been quoted here previously, Aiken and the GAA were aware of both the legislation and the risk attached to doing extra gigs at Croker at the time of the extra U2 concerts previously. Where were IBEC, ISME, the promoters, every vested interest in and around Croke Park and all the political representatives etc. since then? As usual for Ireland, they were collectively waiting for the next crisis to roll up. The one group I have excluded from this is the council officials- they are precluded from commenting on legislation, let alone amending it. This doesn't apply to the elected reps in DCC (the councillors) who can vote on motions to central government requesting amendments to legislation and regulation. They can also adopt byelaws for their own jurisdiction once these byelaws are not counter to existing national legislation. It will be interested to see what momentum for reform of the laws exists once all of this dies down.

With regards to the decision being the executive power of one person, the planning laws have had to be amended precisely to take them away from elected representatives who have demonstrated time and time again that when it comes to planning, they cannot be trusted. Can you suggest an alternative to having the CEO of the relevant authority as the final decision-maker? (and I'm asking this genuinely- remember that government appointed regulators have proven to be as incompetent as the politicians that place them there), having one visible person to carry the can on this is the best compromise imo (and as I stated previously, I vehemently disagreed with some of Keegan's previous decisions such as the new library at Dun Laoighaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Clearly it wasn't planned very well if the licence application wasn't put in 6 months ago.
    well then every other gig in the country must be planned poorly, seeing as they all take a long time to submit applications.
    having read a few, it's not surprising that all the logistics take so long to sort out and be submitted.

clearly you know better than the promoters in this country how easy it is to put together an application though....

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I respect that opinion sure but he's not really to blame on the whole thing, after selling 400000+ tickets 5 months ago to be told 3 weeks before they due to go ahead that you can't have 2 must make it look really silly to him and probably other artists would feel the same.
    It sounds like he's put a lot of effort into these shows and to be told that at the last minute is a kick in the teeth wouldn't most agree on that?
    A simple amendment to the application for these licences to state that the application must be in 20 or 30 weeks before shows are due to take place gives everyone a chance to get the go ahead or cancel with a reasonable amount of time before the shows.
    I think at this stage everyone just wants the 5 shows to be done and this whole fiasco put to bed as it's more drawn out than summer signings in the football transfer market!!

And I understand your frustration, but it doesn't matter if he sold a million tickets as either the GAA or Aiken should have impressed on him the very real risk that there would be objections submitted following the licence application.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

baaba maal wrote: »
    And I understand your frustration, but it doesn't matter if he sold a million tickets as either the GAA or Aiken should have impressed on him the very real risk that there would be objections submitted following the licence application.

Perfectly correct. Somebody on the GB side was not doing their job, or doing it badly. Perhaps they were so sure that the juggernaut could not be stopped and would continue regardless of the consequences.

There can now only be 3 concerts.
    The only people that can make this happen are the Garth Brooks FANS.
    They need to start putting pressure on him to hold the events.

Having a go at the Locals, Politicians, and DCC is a waste of energy and time and has an incorrect focus.

Lets hope they see sense and start emailing GB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Perfectly correct. Somebody on the GB side was not doing their job, or doing it badly. Perhaps they were so sure that the juggernaut could not be stopped and would continue regardless of the consequences.

There can now only be 3 concerts.
    The only people that can make this happen are the Garth Brooks FANS.
    They need to start putting pressure on him to hold the events.

Having a go at the Locals, Politicians, and DCC is a waste of energy and time and has an incorrect focus.

Lets hope they see sense and start emailing GB

but where would ya go about finding this email address??

scudzilla wrote: »

Nancy Seltzer, Nancy Seltzer & Associates,

'You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but you cannot fool all the people all the time' "Lincoln" ???

Apparently, Garth can when it comes to the "people" in this lovely little Country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

miju wrote: »
    Simple question for you. Do you believe its actually safe to have 80,000 leave a venue while another 80,000 are trying to enter it over a 2 hour period????

the gardia said they could handle it ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

scudzilla wrote: »

brooks did not care one fiddlers for his fans or Irelands economy either all businesses loseing out because of this egotist he's gone this 15 years let him sink out of view

Hi,

Here is the contact details:
    <snippity>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No posting of phone nos or email addresses, please.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bravobabe wrote: »
    'You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but you cannot fool all the people all the time' "Lincoln" ???

Apparently, Garth can when it comes to the "people" in this lovely little Country
    Who is he fooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

99.9% of the talking in here is by people with half the facts and/or skewed logic. good lord people learn to read all sides of the story before you type out nonsense. go learn about concert licensing practice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

All i want to know now is are they on or off, no word today from looks of it on any movements. anyone got any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 selma patty

garrkell wrote: »
    go learn about concert licensing practice too.

Okay, off to Germany now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

All i want to know now is are they on or off, no word today from looks of it on any movements. anyone got any updates?

this is my feeling, yes or no. just lets be done with it, i either spend my money in Dublin or on a laptop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement