Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

KoolKid wrote: »
    The thing is DCC have been spouting they can do nothing since they initially refused the permission for the other two.
    Yet how many different offers have come since?
    They have lost a lot of credibility.

The 4 gigs were never "offered" Owen Keegan said he'd send it back to the planners and see if they could do anything.

The matinees were aikens idea, DCC agreed to consider them if an updated event plan was presented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

at this stage it seems that they can't happen because DCC are not legally able to just allow them straight out. maybe they'll find a loophole...

They weren't legally able to do 2 in 1 day either at the very start of this whole episode but that changed also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

hynesie08 wrote: »

The 4 gigs were never "offered" Owen Keegan said he'd send it back to the planners and see if they could do anything.

The matinees were aikens idea, DCC agreed to consider them if an updated event plan was presented.

So the bit about agree to four was lies yeah?
    I thought it was too late for the plan to be revised or changed?
    Their original statement was nothing could be changed. Followed by the statement something like just play your 3 shows Garth.
    How quick that changed to the ridiculous play 5 in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The matinees were aikens idea

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

source?

"In a statement, Dublin City Council said the proposal for matinees was made by Aiken Promotions."

w w w . rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/

*Apologies for the formatting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd love to see the timline re the 5 shows in 3 days crazy offer. Did this come before or after he dismissed the idea in his press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'd love to see the timline re the 5 shows in 3 days crazy offer. Did this come before or after he dismissed the idea in his press conference?

If we were to go by the way RTE were reporting before the press conference, it was reports that a deal had been made and an announcement was expected at the press conference...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yes
    Because he really wants to do this and he really wants to do it right.
    ps. Didn't know he was from Texas.
    Thought it was oklahoma.

Lol believe what you want then!?

I would be amazed if Aiken alone put this forward. He would be well aware of the impractabilitiy of achieving this.
    It baffles me how DCC, who all along have been concerned of the impact on the locality, could even consider this. If really shows their lack of understanding. Garth is right there needs to be someone above them who came use some common sense.

Lol believe what you want then!?

I will, considering at least I knew where he was from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

agreed!
    Can't understand how allowing 160,000 people in the area is ok in less than 12 hours but spreading it over 48 hours can't be done

So the bit about agree to four was lies yeah?
    It was Before the licenses were granted.
    I thought it was too late for the plan to be revised or changed?
    Their original statement was nothing could be changed. Followed by the statement something like just play your 3 shows Garth.
    How quick that changed to the ridiculous play 5 in 3 days.
    I'm not an expert and i'm open to correction but it was the decision not to grant a license that can't be amended or challenged. No idea if the event management plan can be changed.

About an hour after theres actually an article in todays Indo by the journalist who was at his press conference and became a go between the Irish peoples and the Garth peoples

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

to the lad who got a refund from citywest...well done
    I couldnt believe what I was reading

how a hotel in their right mind would refuse is beyond me
    the publicity they would get from this could finish them in the long run

my heart goes out to all those going through this here but mostly to those
    who bought tickets from touts
    to think that some of these touts would have got a couple of hundred
    a ticket for the first concert then get refunded back to their cc and
    no comeback for the buyer
    that makes me sick to the core, bad enough losing a small fortune for
    those booking flights and hotels on top of all this
    some will never set foot in this country again and who could blame them

I hope for these people more than anyone that a solution can
    be put in place in time to salvage these concerts
    I'm feeling bitter and it doesnt affect me at all

must say though hearing about a certain group of lovely people losing
    a small fortune (clothing/hats) cheered me up no end considering
    they'd steal your sh1te if it wasnt sewn to your hole

It was Before the licenses were granted.
    The way I interpeted it was accepting the 4 was a condition of the 4 being granted a licence.

I would be amazed if Aiken alone put this forward. He would be well aware of the impractabilitiy of achieving this.
    It baffles me how DCC, who all along have been concerned of the impact on the locality, could even consider this. If really shows their lack of understanding. Garth is right there needs to be someone above them who came use some common sense.

Call me a cynic but I dont think DCC had any intention of granting that plan a license and was said to come back to them because they knew it was unsafe and impossible to do but gave them a "sure we tried to compromise" excuse and sure Aiken couldn't make it work which in fairness no one could.

It takes about an hour to clean the O2 with about 20 people doing the stands and main floor at the end of the night and they have it down to a fairly fine art at this stage.

A two hour turnaround in a 80,000 seater stadium is impossible between medical, bars restocking, food restocking, security , staff catering , rigging rechecks and so on even down to the basic things like ensuring theres enough radio batteries with full charges as everyone from cleaners to senior management have them.

Aiken and Brooks knew this which is why it was rejected so lightening fast.

Now with all that said if DCC did actually think this was possible and safe then they should be sacked or suspended from their jobs with immediate effect as they haven't a clue

miju wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but I dont think DCC had any intention of granting that plan a license and was said to come back to them because they knew it was unsafe and impossible to do but gave them a "sure we tried to compromise" out.

I agree as I said earlier is was to make them look like they were making an effort.
    Has any reason been given as to why the meeting was cancelled prior to that offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

How can ye guys keep talking about the same thing over and over???

15 pages or something and its the same stuff from the same people.

Its because it is such a fiasco, Sheer amazement at how stupid it all is. Ireland is punching above its weight in the gombeen stakes again..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its because it is such a fiasco, Sheer amazement at how stupid it all is. Ireland is punching above its weight in the gombeen stakes again..

If your including some of the fans ridiculous overstating of the overall situation then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Where is the media frenzy today? Its been of soap opera proportions all week but today its hardly a story! Maybe Garth will pen another letter to stir it up again or maybe he was too busy picking the cabinet for Enda! Actually come to think of it he is probably a few miles into his Atlantic swim :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Is this farce over yet????

Grid. wrote: »
    Is this farce over yet????
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its a total disgrace, this country is better off run by the Germans as we have not got a rasher whats going on.

Corholio wrote: »
    If your including some of the fans ridiculous overstating of the overall situation then yes.

No the fans presumed when they paid for their tickets there would be concerts..

Its the promoters the nimbys the gaa and the politicians who come across as headless Chickens..

I don't really blame the residents, As much as I think they are a bunch of miserable cúnts, They have a point regarding their agreement with the GAA to have a limit of 3 concerts yearly.

So the GAA sets a limit of 3 lousy concerts a year then has 3 1D concerts and then happily agrees 5 more with the promoters, Words couldn't describe that type of stupidity.

The promoters must have clearly been aware that 3 concerts were held this year, But still sells tickets for 5 more, Its been hyped up as the big Irish event of the year, Houses built on sand spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

No the fans presumed when they paid for their tickets there would be concerts..

Its the promoters the nimbys the gaa and the politicians who come across as headless Chickens..

I don't really blame the residents, As much as I think they are a bunch of miserable cúnts, They have a point regarding their agreement with the GAA to have a limit of 3 concerts yearly.

So the GAA sets a limit of 3 lousy concerts a year then has 3 1D concerts and then happily agrees 5 more with the promoters, Words couldn't describe that type of stupidity.

The promoters must have clearly been aware that 3 concerts were held this year, But still sells tickets for 5 more, Its been hyped up as the big Irish event of the year, Houses built on sand spring to mind.

There is no law prohibiting any more than 3 events. Any extra gigs are decided by Dublin City Council.

I don't see what Aiken have done wrong in the selling of tickets, for which people are criticising them, before getting the licence approved.

Each of the various promoters run outdoor gigs similarly, with the subject to licence process clearly mentioned on their notices and newspaper advertisements for the concerts.

It has been mentioned during the week, that Local Councils are quite slow to respond to these applications, that if promoters were to wait for the local councils to give approval to specific shows, that it'd be far too short notice, too near the date of the gig, to arrange and plan these outdoor events.

There is no law prohibiting any more than 3 events. Any extra gigs are decided by Dublin City Council.

I don't see what Aiken have done wrong in the selling of tickets, for which people are criticising them, before getting the licence approved.

Each of the various promoters run outdoor gigs similarly, with the subject to licence process clearly mentioned on their notices and newspaper advertisements for the concerts.

It has been mentioned during the week, that Local Councils are quite slow to respond to these applications, that if promoters were to wait for the local councils to give approval to specific shows, that it'd be far too short notice, too near the date of the gig, to arrange and plan these outdoor events.

They would know the GAA had that agreement and that by holding 5 concerts that the residents would kick up a stink. Piss poor Irish planning at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

They would know the GAA had that agreement and that by holding 5 concerts that the residents would kick up a stink. Piss poor Irish planning at its finest.

The promoters have stated that they received no indication - throughout their discussions with Dublin City Council about the shows - that these shows might not receive permission.

Aiken would not have arranged the shows, if they were told, or if it was even suggested, that they might not get approval.

Anyhow, it appears that members of one of the residents groups, The Croke Park Streets Committee, who were against the gigs, have changed their minds somewhat, and seem to be more accepting of the gigs taking place as long as residents get something in return.

Eamon O'Brien of the Croke Park Streets Committee was on Prime Time last night talking about it

http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2014/0711/630056-prime-time-thursday-10-07-2014-click-here/

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10302399/

This embarrassing situation has dragged on long enough. I think Garth is right. Someone needs to show some balls and stand up and say this is wants going to happen.
    It's beyond a joke that this is being dictated by a few hundred people who may already be in the subject of an investigation by the fraud squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The promoters have stated that they received no indication - throughout their discussions with Dublin City Council about the shows - that these shows might not receive permission.

Aiken would not have arranged the shows, if they were told, or if it was even suggested, that they might not get approval.

Anyhow, it appears that members of one of the residents groups, The Croke Park Streets Committee, who were against the gigs, have changed their minds somewhat, and seem to be more accepting of the gigs taking place as long as residents get something in return.

Eamon O'Brien of the Croke Park Streets Committee was on Prime Time last night talking about it

http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2014/0711/630056-prime-time-thursday-10-07-2014-click-here/

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10302399/

Its a bit late for that hypocrite to turn around now. Its only now that he realises that its too late to get money out of the GAA or whoever. Would love to hit him with a shovel.

• Advertisement

Its a bit late for that hypocrite to turn around now. Its only now that he realises that its too late to get money out of the GAA or whoever. Would love to hit him with a shovel.

There are rumors that residents retracted their statements due to abuse and threats, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement