Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Looks like prayers have not been answered, is this why he is asking Enda ? :D

garth-brooks-prayers-377x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Enda is stuck between a rock and a hard place on this, He says no and everyone who has tickets, the pubs, restaurants, hotels, shops even the tourism will be affected and the 400000 ticket holders, on the other hand he lets it go ahead and is bashed by the ppl who like that he's sticking to the laws that are here and not getting involved.

Laws that do need to be looked at now so tell me, if the law allows for this situation to occur, how can ppl say they work?

Let the 5 go ahead then lets sort out the law, we already are being laughed at for this

Or alternatively, we accept that the laws have led to this situation. We accept that the concerts aren't going ahead, and then we engage in a process of bringing together all the "stakeholders" nationally (not just in relation to Croker) and they, with the politicians come up with legislation that is fair, proportionate and fit for purpose. To magically "allow" the concerts to proceed undermines further the law therefore making the prospect of proper legislation less likely. In my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

baaba maal wrote: »
    Or alternatively, we accept that the laws have led to this situation. We accept that the concerts aren't going ahead, and then we engage in a process of bringing together all the "stakeholders" nationally (not just in relation to Croker) and they, with the politicians come up with legislation that is fair, proportionate and fit for purpose. To magically "allow" the concerts to proceed undermines further the law therefore making the prospect of proper legislation less likely. In my opinion.

If the law is ignored here I don't think Brooks fans are thinking through the implications of that long after the ship has sailed back to America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Oh look...he is flagging that there may be issues!

Or he is just loading the dice in perpetration:

Moan now that the Oireachtas is knee deep in GAA members and the then, should they find fault with how he has conducted himself during this whole fiasco, he can just say: 'Told you the Oireachtas were biased'.
    'Nasty habit that', says Peter Aiken.

The 'meeting' was called off because there where negotiations ongoing...keep up.
    I didn't buy that line then and I don't buy it now. The meeting would have progressed negotiations if anything.

Or he is just loading the dice in perpetration:

Moan now that the Oireachtas is knee deep in GAA members and the then, should they find fault with how he has conducted himself during this whole fiasco, he can just say: 'Told you the Oireachtas were biased'.

'Knee deep'? Man, you do love to exaggerate.
    Do you think a committee investigating the Gardai should be chaired by The Commissioner of the Gardai?
    He is simply protecting himself, quite a natural thing to do.
    I didn't buy that line then and I don't buy it now. The meeting would have progressed negotiations if anything.

The meeting at that point would have been pointless. The people with the ability to thrash it out where already in session.

• Advertisement

He is simply protecting himself, quite a natural thing to do.

The GAA has around 1 million members. You'd be hard pushed to find any committee in Ireland with none.
    The meeting at that point would have been pointless. The people with the ability to thrash it out where already in session.
    Getting everybody into a room could have for sure seen things progress. Last weeks meeting did not have the same objective as next's week's does.

There was salvage mission on the cards then. Next week it's an autopsy.

The GAA has around 1 million members. You'd be hard pushed to find any committee in Ireland with none.

Agree absolutely, but it isn't hard to find a chairperson who isn't a member is it?
    Getting everybody into a room could have for sure seen things progress. Last weeks meeting did not have the same objective as next's week's does.

There was salvage mission on the cards then. Now it's it an autopsy.
    Keegan and the Lord Mayor could never have found a solution.
    Keegan and Aiken could and did, within the law and the granted licence, but Brooks rejected it. Go figure.

Agree absolutely, but it isn't hard to find a chairperson who isn't a member is it?

He's not just concerned with the chairperson though.

He has suggested that he would not be happy with any member of the Oireachtas committee being present if they were also GAA members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bejabbers and begorrah.

10509562_737585569620292_3281024852717291393_n.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Bejabbers and begorrah.

10509562_737585569620292_3281024852717291393_n.jpg

I'd say DCC are trembling! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Why are they protesting outside the GPO? What have An Post done in this whole affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Why are they protesting outside the GPO? What have An Post done in this whole affair?

Garth's staging equipment is arriving via registered post. They're there to welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sure it's basically the same as the Easter rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Didn't Garth say he would swim, crawl, post or fly over to beg Enda? They're obviously there to collect him (and pay the excess weight charge too)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Well at least we know now from their protest what arrived in the infamous crates coming in on that long lost ship :-) maybe theres room for a scaffolder in one on the way back ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

They were on their way to the DCC offices, (which would possibly be closed on a Saturday?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

OldGoat wrote: »
    MOD: Stop baiting each other

I read that in a country accent for some reason. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Protesting outside the dail I get, but the GPO? Um surely the DCC building would have made more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Central Location with high amount of people passing by.

I pass the GPO a lot, I pay no attention to any of the loonies that use it as a stage for their cause, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Work going on behind the scenes that enda has someone working on emergency legislation for the concerts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Can we lock this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Work going on behind the scenes that enda has someone working on emergency legislation for the concerts :)

Don't twist things. Not once has anyone said it's from Enda himself. In fact all we have atm is the word of one poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Don't twist things. Not once has anyone said it's from Enda himself. In fact all we have atm is the word of one poster.

One can hope someone is doing something sorry to be optimistic unlike most ppl here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Just came across this on twitter......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://twitter.com/Donal_OKeeffe/status/488078302125752320

Hearing from a reliable source that the Taoiseach has rubbished rumours of emergency legislation on #GarthBrooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just came across this on twitter......

Yeah the stage. Its painful now.

Its in tomorrows sunday world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭secman

Aiken still trying to salvage 3 days, refunds put back till Thursday.

He's not just concerned with the chairperson though.

He has suggested that he would not be happy with any member of the Oireachtas committee being present if they were also GAA members.

No diehard fan of the man but perfectly ordinary rhetoric prior to a committee grilling I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

hynesie08 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Donal_OKeeffe/status/488078302125752320

Hearing from a reliable source that the Taoiseach has rubbished rumours of emergency legislation on #GarthBrooks.

Good. A Garth Brooks concert is not an emergency. As much as I feel for people during all this a grip needs to be gotten now at this stage.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Aiken still trying to salvage 3 days, refunds put back till Thursday.

Ridiculous that Aiken and Croke Park seem to have let him write his own contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement