Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

secman wrote: »
    Aiken still trying to salvage 3 days, refunds put back till Thursday.

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Is that confirmed or are you just going by the "misprint" in tomorrow's Sunday World?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Still says the 15th on ticketmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭secman

Is that confirmed or are you just going by the "misprint" in tomorrow's Sunday World?

Not from any paper, from within the .......

Not from any paper, from within the .......

• Advertisement

Not from any newspaper, can't say anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yeah the stage. Its painful now.

Its in tomorrows sunday world.

well that just hurts an awful lot :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Peter is that you? :D

Ok you can't name your source, but you're saying that he's trying to get Garth to just do the initial three? Or did I understand that wrong and they're trying some other loophole/compromise?

Actually wait, you work for (or know someone that works for) ticketmaster. That's your source right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

What's there to save? There's 3 licenced days. Garth wants 5. I dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What's there to save? There's 3 licenced days. Garth wants 5. I dont get it.

3 gigs, aiken loses some money

0 gigs, aiken loses his bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Still convinced that Aiken and Brooks are at loggerheads. Garth's threat is not '5 or none' but rather '5, because if I do 3, I can't sue'.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    3 gigs, aiken loses some money

0 gigs, aiken loses his bollocks.

Yep, I think this is it. I think aiken will lose alot.

So how does aiken drug GB and get him to play ? Cause its not happening as much as I would love all 5 to go ahead.

Yep, I think this is it. I think aiken will lose alot.

So how does aiken drug GB and get him to play ? Cause its not happening as much as I would love all 5 to go ahead.

Strip away all the guff in the press conference about love and what a great guy he is and notice that he never mentions the residents (does he not love them too?:D) and keeps going on about 'Ireland, we don't know what is going on there' etc. A quick phone call would explain what was 'going on'.
    But he is very careful to say...'We where never told that these gigs where subject to licence'. And that is probably the case.
    There are your grounds for suing. He'll make a fortune(or rather his management company, who you will find, don't go on about 'love' and loyalty to fans) without having to do diddly squat.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Strip away all the guff in the press conference about love and what a great guy he is and notice that he never mentions the residents (does he not love them too?:D) and keeps going on about 'Ireland, we don't know what is going on there' etc. A quick phone call would explain what was 'going on'.
    But he is very careful to say...'We where never told that these gigs where subject to licence'. And that is probably the case.
    There are your grounds for suing. He'll make a fortune(or rather his management company, who you will find, don't go on about 'love' and loyalty to fans) without having to do diddly squat.

In that case, didn't he pull out of three licenced concerts. Would there not be something in his contract with subject to licence and can aiken sue for those three concerts?

I dont know who to believe any more. Its not as if GB was letting 160,000 of his fans down. DCC was. The ship and stage is here and all that is left is GB and his band to come over....but I dont see that happening. Happyman makes sense.

In that case, didn't he pull out of three licenced concerts. Would there not be something in his contract with subject to licence and can aiken sue for those three concerts?

There's the rub...ordinarily he would have to play the 3 under contract (or under any contract I have ever seen, and I've seen a few) but for some reason Aiken doesn't seem to have that power, so my suspicion is that it isn't there.
    Look at the whole 'matinee' stuff. It is patently obvious that Brooks had been contacted on this imo. Earlier he had been interested in doing them, suddenly he wasn't.
    But there was a breakdown in communication (because relations are not good) somewhere. While Aitken was proposing them in Dublin, Brooks was rubbishing the idea in his press conference.

Court case coming...if 5 in a row don't happen...there is no salvaging of the 3, unless Brooks and his management company are recompensed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Garth's 'Weary Blues from Waitin' in Nashville, Tennessee
    I have spent the last three days with Garth Brooks in the home of country music - Nashville Tennessee.

I broke bread with his legendary manager Bob Doyle and learned what they really think of us.

As the White House was being contacted and the big networks scrambled to cover what quickly became known as "Garthgate," I did my best to explain to them how they are being perceived in Ireland.

I told them that turning down the proposal for matinee performances and asking for five nights in a row was seen, rightly or wrongly, as akin to a six-shooter to the head.

"He never meant the five or nothing as an ultimatum. He has always had a very low price on his tickets, there has never been a golden circle, people can't buy tickets before others on some special deal. When Garth says it's all about his fans, it is all about his fans," a source close to Mr Brooks said.
    I responded that many at home saw it as a ransom demand and Irish people might not buy the line that he was doing it for the fans.

The source explains that the "ginormous," stage currently on the high seas coming to Ireland was meant to be a "gift of love" to Ireland.
    "After Croke Park we have no use for the stage. Garth thought and thought about how he could make this show better than his last one there and so this vast stage was created, I wish I could show it to you."
    The stage with its hundreds of screens was designed specifically for an Irish dusk. That is why the Aviva is not an option and why matinees in bright daylight would not work. "I don't want to do a half-assed show," Mr Brooks said at his press conference.

I suggest gently that shooting down the Aviva and afternoon shows is being interpreted by some as petulance. That it's Garth's way or no way.
    Now ongoing talks are turning to alleged fraudulent licensing objections submitted to Dublin City Council.
    A judicial process is one option on the table.
    And secondly, on the day he was appointed Minister for the Environment, Labour's new deputy leader Alan Kelly was contacted directly by the Garth Brooks organisation.

His entry into the conversation is seen as a huge step forward with one party involved in the talks saying: "We hope to have a positive update on Monday."

Shortly after the news broke Thursday two weeks ago that Dublin City Council was only granting a licence for three of the five concerts, Garth Brooks issued a statement saying: "For us it's five shows or none at all."
    Seen by many as an all- or-nothing demand direct from Music City to Ireland, it was anything but, according to those closest to him.
    "I don't think Ireland understands how passionate he is about his fans. This is a man who defied his own management by refusing to do radio and promo and spent 23 hours shaking the hands of fans," states Marvin Baker.
    Mr Baker is the chairman of radio station Cafe Nashville, which sits right in the heart of Music Row, up from the offices of BMI and across from Warner Bros.

"Garth is a champion of the fans. He's sold his tickets at the same price for years and lost millions as a result. I understand his position clearly about the five gigs or none at all and he'll stick to that."
    Mr Brooks's colleague, Larry Pareigis, the man behind the legendary Dixie Chicks agrees.

"He could have chosen to do his come-back show anywhere in the world and he chooses Ireland. Whatever is going on there we don't know but for the sake of political viability and taking into account that there is no other stadium like Croke Park in Ireland I think if I was there I would find a way to make it happen," Mr Pareigis says.
    Having spent now more than 72 hours in Camp Brooks I have been fully informed of his huge affection for Ireland.

There's a story in their circle of a night he played in The Point. He strummed the first few chords of a song and immediately the crowd picked up the tune and began to sing the words before the country legend uttered a single syllable.

"He picked up this big old cell-phone like the Ghostbusters one and rang his wife with tears in his eyes saying 'listen to this,', Bob Doyle, the 'Major' as he is known, tells me.

Having listened to the first verse in Dublin and heard the chorus of exasperation in downtown Nashville, it seems that Enda Kenny and his Government remain deeply wary of tampering with planning laws for the sake of a country singer and his fans.
    But this story of loss and heartbreak, like an old-time Hank Williams song,is no longer just about the 52-year-old Brooks' comeback. It is now about a loss of more than €5m in VAT on ticket sales, the sacrifice of €15m in revenue for restaurants and some €21m that would have poured into the coffers of Dublin hoteliers.

It's also a fiasco that embarrasses the country.
    And one more thing, the whole debacle has shone a spotlight on our rigid planning legislation, showing that there is no way to reverse a decision once it has been made.
    "If the residents want it and if the residents that opposed it - that don't even live around Croke Park - have backed down, and if dozens of those letters of objection were fraudulent then who in Ireland is against these gigs?" a member of the Brooks brigade asks me.

I politely explain that emergency legislation, as I see it, is the only way forward at this point but I would not hold my breath.
    They tell me they have no more time as the ship carrying the set makes landfall in Dublin early this week. Today Garth Brooks in the words of the legendary Hank Williams - is suffering 'Weary Blues from Waitin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Sounds like aikens is a busy lad this weekend at least someone is trying to sort this, better late than never eh, Alan Kelly is involved now coming from the independent.ie announcement due tomorrow

Sounds like aikens is a busy lad this weekend at least someone is trying to sort this, better late than never eh, Alan Kelly is involved now coming from the independent.ie announcement due tomorrow

I'm really hoping that the lack of news over the weekend is due to ongoing negotiations. I would imagine if it was a definite no, they'd have issued a final statement........

I'm really hoping that the lack of news over the weekend is due to ongoing negotiations. I would imagine if it was a definite no, they'd have issued a final statement........

• Advertisement

Sorry... not sure why the last post went in twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

If anyone can get this sorted it is Kelly -

Had dealings with him a couple of years ago - a breath of fresh air in irish politics

totally pragmatic no nonsense type of guy

I'd imagine it is pressure on Brooks to play the 3. Seems to be zero appetite to interfere with Keegan's office. Thank goodness.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it is pressure on Brooks to play the 3. Seems to be zero appetite to interfere with Keegan's office. Thank goodness.

I don't care how many he plays at this stage just as long as I get to see him. :D The 3 gigs plus 2 at a later date or giving the 160,000 for the Mon and Tues night refund or exchange for World Tour tickets seems to be the best option left at this stage. It's just whether or not everyone can agree to it. I'm lucky enough to have tickets for the Saturday night but I would imagine, people with tickets for Mon and Tues would even be in agreement with it at this point just to allow everyone to see him at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

At this stage the license decision is flawed with over 40% of objections having been forged or dubios in the least according to Gardai

DCC and the City Manager clearly didnt follow due process in a number of ways and with the release of the above stat the City Managers position has to be untenable.

The quote from the above article for me seals the deal in why he should be sacked:
    The Council sent residents an acknowledgement of their receipt of the objections but 11 residents then contacted the council to inform them they had made no objection.

Would also explain why suddenly the original people kicking up a fuss went very quiet, very quickly

miju wrote: »
    At this stage the license decision is flawed with over 40% of objections having been forged or dubios in the least according to Gardai

DCC and the City Manager clearly didnt follow due process in a number of ways and with the release of the above stat the City Managers position has to be untenable

The Gardai haven't said that. The Sindo says it.
    Can you link to a direct quote from a Guard?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If residents objections were part of the DCC decision process (and if not it should have been)then the decision must be revisited and adjusted accordingly.
    If they refuse it would be very hypocritical of them to say Garth Brooks is being the stubborn one.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If residents objections were part of the DCC decision process (and if not it should have been)then the decision must be revisited and adjusted accordingly.
    If they refuse it would be very hypocritical of them to say Garth Brooks is being the stubborn one.

You didn't read the decision either?

• Advertisement

Aiken stands to lose a lot so he obviously is trying his best to resolve the issue. His Only chance is if Brooks decides to 3 nights or 5 shows over the 3 days. TM are in full refund mode as the belief is the council have made their decision which CANNOT be changed and Brooks is playing hardball and won't change his stance. Extra staff in for next 2 weeks to do refunds. Posters should really read up on planning laws, the ignorance of same is astounding with some of the hair brain suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement