Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The Gardai haven't said that. The Sindo says it.
    Can you link to a direct quote from a Guard?

Thats what newspapers are for if you dont take Newstalk and the Sindo for being with any foundation thats your prob not mine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

secman wrote: »
    Aiken stands to lose a lot so he obviously is trying his best to resolve the issue. His Only chance is if Brooks decides to 3 nights or 5 shows over the 3 days. TM are in full refund mode as the belief is the council have made their decision which CANNOT be changed and Brooks is playing hardball and won't change his stance. Extra staff in for next 2 weeks to do refunds. Posters should really read up on planning laws, the ignorance of same is astounding with some of the hair brain suggestions.

Any particular ones????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

miju wrote: »
    Thats what newspapers are for if you dont take Newstalk and the Sindo for being with any foundation thats your prob not mine

Journalism should not make things up without fact. Sindo have been guilty of this type of sensationalism many many times before. Reader beware, no other paper of note is picking up on this, they are only quoting the Sindo. Obviously these 'sources' are hard to find as they probably don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/488285414533648384
    Tánaiste Joan Burton says there is a window of possibility in reaching an agreement over the staging of the Garth Brooks concerts

Just ****ing get it over with at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

hynesie08 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/488285414533648384

Just ****ing get it over with at this stage.

Up there with the most classic 'kick to touch' cliches of all time.

'In the pipeline', 'going forward' etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Tanaiste Joan Burton: 'There's a still a window of opportunity to get Garth Brooks concerts over the line'
    Speaking on The Week in Politics earlier this morning, the Labour party leader said she would like to see the country and western singer come here.

She also said there appears to be a strong indication that a number of names which were used as objections against the planning application “were not in fact properly consulted or their names were used without their knowledge”.
    advertisement

She said that she will now be asking the recently appointed Environment Minister Alan Kelly to “have a look at licensing events” as the law “needs to be updated”.

Meanwhile, concert promoter Peter Aiken was last night locked in eleventh-hour negotiations to broker a new deal to salvage the Garth Brooks concerts.

After a week of drama, discussions to broker a new deal took place behind closed doors as up to 100 Garth Brooks fans marched on the Dail in protest at the concelled concerts, which are estimated to be worth up to €50m to the economy.

In a brief phone call, Mr Aiken told the Sunday Independent he was “talking to people about it right now”, but he could not provide any further details.
    Mr Aiken did not say who he was talking to, but the Sunday Independent has learned that the new Environment Minister, Alan Kelly, has intervened in an attempt to broker a deal. A spokesperson for a party involved in the negotiations said: “We hope to have a positive update on Monday.”
    Earlier yesterday, protesters met at the GPO on Dublin’s O’Connell Street at 12pm before marching towards College Green, up Grafton Street and then down Kildare Street singing Garth Brooks songs and chanting: “Lets go – five in a row.”

The demonstration was organised online on social media, with fans travelling from Donegal, Louth, Wicklow and other countries across the country to make their voices heard.
    Leanne O’Hagan, from Newry, had travelled home from Australia to see the concerts.
    She said that she is “embarrassed” with how the fiasco surrounding the Croke Park concerts portrayed Ireland abroad. “It is not even about the concerts any more. It is more to do with the fact that we are a laughing stock around the world once again because we never seem to know what we are doing”, she told the Sunday Independent,

Leanne was due to stay in Australia on a visa for another 10 weeks but flew home last weekend to attend the concerts. “It was the cheapest flight I could find, it is pretty expensive to fly from the other side of the world,” she added
    “I gave up my job in Australia and sold my car to come back to Ireland to go to this concert.”

Claire Thomas, from Donegal, who helped organise the protest, urged Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan to reverse the decision not to allow the final two concerts to go ahead. “In light of recent developments, such as all of the local residents now being in favour of the concerts, the court action being dropped, local businesses crying out for them to go ahead and the majority of the city council voting in favour of the concerts, we would appeal to Mr Keegan to grant a licence for the last two shows.”

Claire said she initially struggled to get a ticket for the show, but eventually managed to source one for the final show on Tuesday.
    “We are out in the sticks in Donegal. We don’t have broadband so I was sitting in front of the computer crying when I was not able to get tickets for the original shows,” she added.

Claire added that the mooted proposal for Brooks to perform matinee concerts on Saturday and Sunday is unworkable.
    “The spectacle wouldn’t be the same,” she said. “The lights would be useless and I have heard people say that they would look for a refund because they did not book for that day. They booked for Monday or Tuesday.”
    Kevin Dixon, from Coolock, Dublin, said he was ashamed of the council for cancelling the final two concerts.

“They won’t do a thing. All that they have to do is to allow the five concerts happen and then never let this happen again,” he said. “If it was U2 fans – they would get to see their heroes. It is disgraceful for 400,000 fans to be told three weeks before that the concerts are not going ahead.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That girl who came home from Australia mentions about being a laughing stock. I'd say someone who came home from Australia 10 weeks early and sold her car just for the concert can pretty much throw herself into the laughing stock category too. ****ing mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

jacko1 wrote: »
    If anyone can get this sorted it is Kelly -

Had dealings with him a couple of years ago - a breath of fresh air in irish politics

totally pragmatic no nonsense type of guy

Great!
    Now all he has to do is rewrite Irish Planning law, introduce the heads of a Bill to the Dail, get it through first stage, committee stage, second stage, the Seanad, and signed by the President in just 48 hours.
    Bearing in mind that it is not a "money bill" and he is Constitutionally barred from fast tracking it as "Emergency Legislation" he is going have to be a miracle worker to get GB his 5 in a row on the dates already planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NOTICE TO GARTH BROOKS TICKET PURCHASERS – REFUNDS PROCESS NOW TO BEGIN THURSDAY 17TH JULY.
    Ticketmaster understands that negotiations to try and find a resolution to the Garth Brooks concerts situation are still ongoing.
    As a result, Ticketmaster will be delaying commencement of the refunds process until Thursday, July 17th 2014.
    We would ask customers/fans to continue to be patient and to hold onto their tickets for now.
    Check http://www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds where updated information in relation to Garth Brooks will be posted when made available.

Just gimme the damn money back

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Mushy wrote: »
    Just gimme the damn money back

Refunds have been put back till Thursday to allow for Garth to make a decision with regards to playing the three that were granted permission. It's 3 or none, Garth's call.

• Advertisement

Refunds have been put back till Thursday to allow for Garth to make a decision with regards to playing the three that were granted permission. It's 3 or none, Garth's call.

I know, I quoted Ticketmaster sure.

Another reason to hate ticketmaster though. Even just do the refunds for Monday & Tuesday!

Even just do the refunds for Monday & Tuesday!

I assume we'll know by tomorrow for sure. They can't leave it run on any longer. Work was supposed to begin in Croke Park this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I know, I quoted Ticketmaster sure.

Another reason to hate ticketmaster though. Even just do the refunds for Monday & Tuesday!

True but if he agrees to do 2 at a later date I guess they need to give ticketholders the option of an exchange?

True but if he agrees to do 2 at a later date I guess they need to give ticketholders the option of an exchange?

I have serious doubts that he'll do later dates with the stage setup they were planning. If he did it'd be without a doubt scaled back from what they were planning for the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

The whole Country have their fingers crossed for the 400,000 ticket holders...... That's the impression I got from people last couple of nights in my taxi... And these are real people, not keyboard anti Garth Brooks trolls...

Statement from the Labour Party
    http://www.labour.ie/press/2014/07/13/brooks-must-decide-on-fate-of-croke-park-concerts/

It is time for Garth Brooks to make a final decision on whether he will play the three sellout concerts for which he has been granted a license by Dublin City Council.
    It is time to take the quarter of a million fans who have purchased tickets out of their misery.
    To date he has rejected all compromises and declared that it is “5 or none”. Nevertheless the ship with the equipment for the concerts was due to arrive in Dublin on Saturday and none of the tickets have been refunded to date.
    The option is still there to play the three concerts now for which he has permission and apply for the two that were refused at a later stage.
    He can thus accommodate 60% of his paying fans immediately and give the other 40% the option of a refund or a concert at later date in the same venue which would could take place under the original planning permission.
    If Garth Brooks has his fans interest at heart as he says he has, then he should be prepared to accept such a reasonable compromise solution.
    Issued by Joe Costello TD
    Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade with responsibility for Trade and Development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Well, Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Joe ^^^

I assume we'll know by tomorrow for sure. They can't leave it run on any longer. Work was supposed to begin in Croke Park this week.

Monday and Tuesday don't have a licence....done...finito! Barring obvious political intervention of course, so I wouldn't be surprised in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

So when is the official, final, final, final announcement then?

So when is the official, final, final, final announcement then?

That's up to GB, he has a licence for three concerts, its up to him to announce if he intends to let his fans down, nobody else has anything to announce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

That's up to GB, he has a licence for three concerts, its up to him to announce if he intends to let his fans down, nobody else has anything to announce.

Well then, he has already said it. 5 or nothing.

Well then, he has already said it. 5 or nothing.

I think he'll do the 3...think of all that money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Some people will have already printed off their refund forms and posted their tickets back. He will still make a very healthy profit from playing three nights. His fans are being treated appallingly by this brinkmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Peter File wrote: »
    Some people will have already printed off their refund forms and posted their tickets back. He will still make a very healthy profit from playing three nights. His fans are being treated appallingly by this brinkmanship.

Who has sent there tickets back as ticketmaster had said refunds begin on tues and now it's thurs so clearly leaving our that late some of the concerts ates going to happen now it's just down to the agreement they come up with but I'm fairly confident that 3 will go ahead now and yes most ppl think he's playing but he's not he just wants what is fair to everyone but only problem now is how he compromises on fair as 5 in a row won't be happening now

I ordered my tickets with my danske bank account in January, they have since pulled out of Ireland and closed my account. I rang ticketmaster on Wednesday to register my new account, I didn't do it online because their website stated that if refunds were sent to an old bank a/c you should ring your old bank & ask them to transfer the refund to your new a/c. That was not an option for me as my a/c was void.

The problem is I have received my refund yesterday- does anyone know where this leave me if the concerts go ahead, will they reverse the refund and will my tickets still be valid? I'm freaking out about this, does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

I ordered my tickets with my danske bank account in January, they have since pulled out of Ireland and closed my account. I rang ticketmaster on Wednesday to register my new account, I didn't do it online because their website stated that if refunds were sent to an old bank a/c you should ring your old bank & ask them to transfer the refund to your new a/c. That was not an option for me as my a/c was void.

The problem is I have received my refund yesterday- does anyone know where this leave me if the concerts go ahead, will they reverse the refund and will my tickets still be valid? I'm freaking out about this, does anyone have any advice?

I'd say ring them just to be sure but sounds like you'll need new tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I got an email from ticketmaster telling me there holding of refunds until Thursday due to on going negotiations. Seriously stop getting my hopes up please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Who has sent there tickets back as ticketmaster had said refunds begin on tues and now it's thurs so clearly leaving our that late some of the concerts ates going to happen now it's just down to the agreement they come up with but I'm fairly confident that 3 will go ahead now and yes most ppl think he's playing but he's not he just wants what is fair to everyone but only problem now is how he compromises on fair as 5 in a row won't be happening now

These people:
    3. Question - I want to get my refund by returning the form and tickets by post. What should I do?
    Answer - A refund form is available by clicking here. Please print, complete and return this form along WITH your GARTH BROOKS TICKETS to PO Box 4695, Dublin 2. Please make a note of the show date and your seat details and retain the left hand portion of the refund form for your records. A full refund including service charges will be processed by bank transfer within 21 days of receiving the form and tickets.

This is from the ticket master site last week and email said similar. Doesn't say wait until this Tuesday/Thursday to post, just says post in your tickets with the form and you'll get a refund within 21 days. I'm sure a lot of people would have sent them off straight away to get the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

If you've sent it back and the concerts go ahead, maybe the portion you've kept will get you in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement