Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

IF they do go ahead, at this stage I want proof its Garth Brooks himself on the stage and not some tribute act.

says a lot about him at this stage that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

IF they do go ahead, at this stage I want proof its Garth Brooks himself on the stage and not some tribute act.

lmao!! totally agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Or Chris gaines

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Why all the speculation :rolleyes:
    The latest info is on the link below including a link to Ticketmaster.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/2153-the-garth-brooks-comeback-special-event.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The Leinster football finals are on next Sunday, how do they propose to put up staging before that?
    Croke Park PLC have no problem moving provincial finals if there is enough mullah to be made.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/croke-park-now-the-final-option-for-ulster-championship-28534842.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Just heard from someone who rang Ticketmaster that even if the concerts go ahead, refunds will still be honoured for people who wish to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

If a certain Bertie Ahearn was still in charge, not only would the 5 concerts be going ahead, but a 6th one too. He would have gone to every household involved and won them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

If a certain Bertie Ahearn was still in charge, not only would the 5 concerts be going ahead, but a 6th one too. He would have gone to every household involved and won them over.

With brown envelopes

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Paddyirish there's not a word on the Indo or Times or RTE about any of this. Its not fair really to be giving false hopes to some of the posters who have taken all this to heart.

Sorry got it wrong it was from irish mirror website... yes i know take it with a pinch of salt...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/garth-brooks-croke-park-concerts-3850372

The five-night Garth Brooks extravaganza could be back ON by Tuesday, it has emerged.

Ministers are knocking heads together to bring the concerts back from the dead.

New talks, coming after Brooks rejected proposals to squeeze the gigs into a three-day spectacular including two matinees, will give 400,000 ticketholders fresh hope.

And Environment Minister Alan Kelly has said a line needed to be drawn under the fiasco within 48 hours - with a final decision due tomorrow afternoon.

He added: “I believe this situation can only be solved by all the parties coming together in an atmosphere of calm...if this happens, I would be optimistic that common sense will prevail. The distance between all parties is not insurmountable.”

In the final hope for fans, Ticketmaster urged them to hold onto their tickets and said it was delaying the start of refunds until Thursday.

The 400,000-strong Brooks army is eligible for refunds after he turned down the chance to do two matinees and three night-time gigs, squeezing all five gigs into three days.

But Ticketmaster is holding on for a few more days as intense talks with key stakeholders continued.

A spokesman said: “We understand negotiations to try and find a resolution are still ongoing.

“As a result, Ticketmaster will be delaying commencement of the refunds process until Thursday.

"We would ask fans to continue to be patient and to hold onto their tickets for now.”

The statement could spell hope for the dedicated fans desperate to see the star perform in Ireland again.

New Environment Minister Alan Kelly, while not directly involved in the new talks, is throwing his weight behind efforts to break the deadlock.

He said he could not legally intervene and admitted any attempt to do so would be inappropriate.

Instead, he was in constant contact with Labour Relations Commission boss Kieran Mulvey over the weekend.

Mr Mulvey will again meet Croke Park residents, Dublin City Council and promoters Aiken.

It is understood the Council has also brought in a senior legal counsel to move things forward.

Mr Kelly said drawing up emergency legislation would jeopardise the shows and lead to further court action.

He added: “Amending the legislation on which Dublin City Council granted the existing concert licence could open up all the concerts to a legal challenge and rushed legislation may not stand up to such a challenge.

“It would only serve to make an already bad situation worse and bring further uncertainty to the situation.”

Mr Kelly said all sides needed to come together and find a solution within the next 48 hours.

The Labour deputy leader added he was confident there could be an agreement reached that suited everybody.

He said: “I believe this situation can only be solved by all the parties coming together in an atmosphere of calm and with all sides being flexible.

“If this happens, I would be optimistic that the common good and common sense will prevail as the distance between all parties is not insurmountable.

“Calm engagement is now required.

“We have many other issues to concentrate on as a country and a line needs to be drawn under this controversy over the next 48 hours. I would ask all sides to engage on this basis.”

VIEW GALLERY

Mr Kelly vowed to ensure the country is never going to be “at this ridiculous juncture again”.

He said: “I am committed to a carrying out a wholesale review of the way major events are handled and this will be progressed in the coming months as opposed to carrying it out in rushed manner that is in neither the interests of concert-goers, residents or the planning system in general.”

Dublin Lord Mayor Christy Burke began the negotiations with Croke Park residents over the weekend.

Brooks is due to land in Dublin next weekend for the concerts with the stage, which was due last Saturday, already delayed. Meanwhile, a Garda probe into bogus objections to the concerts is to examine signatures which reportedly included kids, prisoners and people abroad.

Sources have revealed how officers believe some signatures from criminals, people with intellectual disabilities and people who have fled the country were also provided.

Promoter Peter Aiken is attempting to convince Dublin City officials the revelations surrounding the objections should pave the way for a review on the decision to block the five concerts.

EyesClosed wrote: »
    With brown envelopes

That is the most depressing aspect of all this...that some hanker for those bad old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Croke Park PLC have no problem moving provincial finals if there is enough mullah to be made.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/croke-park-now-the-final-option-for-ulster-championship-28534842.html

Firstly, it is a bit late to move the match. Secondly, the GAA wont move Dublin outside of Croke Park. Thirdly, I think at this stage they would have planned when constructing the stage would begin i.e. Monday.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Firstly, it is a bit late to move the match. Secondly, the GAA wont move Dublin outside of Croke Park. Thirdly, I think at this stage they would have planned when constructing the stage would begin i.e. Monday.

I was being smart. Actually Croke Park got their fingers burned on that one. It probably won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

EyesClosed wrote: »
    With brown envelopes
    Are you for real. Bertie would be the one getting the brown envelope. (Sorry, tip for a horse).

Yes plans show that the Hill get cleaned up immediately after the final on Sunday and stage layout will be started and work finishes at 22hrs on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Application for licence

Wednesday 23rd No application made
    Thursday 24th No application made
    Friday 25th granted
    Saturday 26th granted
    Sunday 27th granted
    Monday 28th denied
    Tuesday 29th denied
    Wednesday 30th No application made
    Thursday 31st No application made
    Friday 1st No application made
    Saturday 2nd No application made

So 5 nights on the trot could be facilitated or even a break of 2 nights would hardly be the end of the world!

I have no idea if Croker is booked for any other surrounding dates, but maybe if it is, there could be a re-schedule for those events?

It's no skin off my nose one way or another, just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

stevieob wrote: »
    Application for licence

Friday 25th granted
    Saturday 26th granted
    Sunday 27th granted
    Monday 28th denied
    Tuesday 29th denied

So 5 nights on the trot could be facilitated or even a break of 2 nights would hardly be the end of the world!

I have no idea if Croker is booked for any other surrounding dates, but maybe if it is, there could be a re-schedule for those events?

You're forgetting/ignoring the fact that the application has to be made at least 10 weeks (or perhaps 16 judging by a previous post highlighting the legislation) in advance of the 1st event taking place.

"186. (1) An application must be made at least 16 weeks prior to the date for the holding of the event to which the application relates or, in the case of an application for a number of events at a venue in a period not exceeding one year, at least 16 weeks prior to the holding of the first event."

irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#part16

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Croker has matches the previous Sunday and the following Saturday so unlikely to have enough time to turn around the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Application for licence

Friday 25th granted
    Saturday 26th granted
    Sunday 27th granted
    Monday 28th denied
    Tuesday 29th denied

Croke Park is required for matches on the 2nd to 4th August. As the stage takes 6 days to put up/take down (going from 1D's work), it will have to end by the Sunday if there's a Saturday match - Tuesday's gig would mean Monday matches.

They would need to start putting up the stage straight after the Leinster Final on Sunday to get it ready for Friday.

They would have been far smarter putting the gigs on in June when they have the dates. End of July onwards to October Croke Park is a busy GAA stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

chinguetti wrote: »
    Croke Park is required for matches on the 2nd to 4th August. As the stage takes 6 days to put up/take down (going from 1D's work), it will have to end by the Sunday if there's a Saturday match - Tuesday's gig would mean Monday matches.

They would need to start putting up the stage straight after the Leinster Final on Sunday to get it ready for Friday.

They would have been far smarter putting the gigs on in June when they have the dates. End of July onwards to October Croke Park is a busy GAA stadium.

Cue a flotilla of "But Garth Brooks concerts means more to Ireland than GAA matches" posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Ahhh now I think there would b uproar if there were gaa matches cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭squonk

At this rate maybe they could have him on as the half time entertainment for one of the All-Irelands, like they do in the SuperBowl! It'd be better than the usual half-time ****e they put on anyway!

All provincial champions have to play their QF match in Croke Park. They moved them off to county grounds about 10 years ago and there was war as provincial champions didn't get to play in Croke Park and reduced the provincial champions to nosense.

So if you think there's war over concerts, they'll be real war over matches being moved. Not enough war to make much news in the papers or Liveline, but a 'swimming with the fishes' moment for someone's future career:pac:

Gaa haven't given up yet I see the hurling quarters are down in thurles for that weekend giving tipp home advantage to give more ppl reason to hate the gaa!
    I know they are usually on in thurles or croke park, thurles last few years indeed but still a good sign roll on 5or6pm today and we get this sh*t flushed one way or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've given up trying to keep track of this,

What's the latest from the residents, what will they do if the gigs are put back on?

Go line dancing

Something to keep fans going till later on...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/garth-brooks-quiz-test-your-3847567

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

6/10 - not bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Gaa haven't given up yet I see the hurling quarters are down in thurles for that weekend giving tipp home advantage to give more ppl reason to hate the gaa!
    I know they are usually on in thurles or croke park, thurles last few years indeed but still a good sign roll on 5or6pm today and we get this sh*t flushed one way or the other!

Hurling QF have been in Semple for some time now. Nothing to do with with Garth Brooks, think you are reading into that a bit too much. The fact it gives Tipp home advantage means nothing. Sure if they were in Croker, Dublin would have it then.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've given up trying to keep track of this,

What's the latest from the residents, what will they do if the gigs are put back on?

Seems the real residents are locked in these talks going on with Aiken and the gaa
    haven't seen mr o brien since all this forgery claims against the licence came to light... Not implying he's involved at all but strikes me as weird he couldn't help himself all last week talking to anyone that would listen and now not a peep.

Hurling QF have been in Semple for some time now. Nothing to do with with Garth Brooks, think you are reading into that a bit too much. The fact it gives Tipp home advantage means nothing. Sure if they were in Croker, Dublin would have it then.

Beat me to it so if people are using that as a sign, its a false one.

• Advertisement

Seems the real residents are locked in these talks going on with Aiken and the gaa
    haven't seen mr o brien since all this forgery claims against the licence came to light... Not implying he's involved at all but strikes me as weird he couldn't help himself all last week talking to anyone that would listen and now not a peep.

That means he is locked in talks along with other residents? Jaysus Paddy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement