Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

It's a fúcking concert at the end of the day. If you're heartbroken over the whole thing then you may need to seriously reassess your priorities in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    It's a fúcking concert at the end of the day. If you're heartbroken over the whole thing then you may need to seriously reassess your priorities in life.

I don't think a comment like this is very constructive or helpful.

You could have said the same for the Argentinian fans in the stadium in Brazil crying last night after the World Cup Final.

sunbabe08 was just emphasising the disappointment felt by fans and the absurdity of how such a huge event which had sold so well and had, upon its announcement in January, such huge positive news and interest, is now not happening.

And of how it is now believed, that many of the objections, that contributed to the cancellations, were not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Was in work last night when this news broke but to say I'm sickened is an understatement I've waited since I was 13 to see this show and to come that close and for it all to be f*cked up like it has been. .. ireland will never change.
    We've turned into a nation of Begruders and moaners, to be so against a music concert ffs country music at that!
    Dublin can honestly f*ck itself and all those whingers hope it never gets another licence granted again for any concert

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

There's little children in Palenstine waking up in heaven today , so don't get to upset please .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Yay. Brand new music in the USA next week, whether thats a single or an album, I dont know. Wonder will he ship the cd's over here?

But new music always comes before a tour. So I reckon, his plans was to start the USA tour later in the year, maybe October.

• Advertisement

Was in work last night when this news broke but to say I'm sickened is an understatement I've waited since I was 13 to see this show and to come that close and for it all to be f*cked up like it has been. .. ireland will never change.
    We've turned into a nation of Begruders and moaners, to be so against a music concert ffs country music at that!
    Dublin can honestly f*ck itself and all those whingers hope it never gets another licence granted again for any concert

So sorry paddyirish23, I knew how much you wanted it to happened.

Save your money and see him on his world tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

This is not about the music it's about the DISRUPTION that these concerts would cause to a city, But you keep thinking it's all about the music if it makes you feel better.

bumper234 wrote: »
    This is not about the music it's about the DISRUPTION that these concerts would cause to a city, But you keep thinking it's all about the music if it makes you feel better.

Well, it was about begrudgers and moaners and their issues oveir their handball alley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

So, we have an 'artist' and a promoter who sold tickets for an event they didn't have planning permission for.

We have DCC who pushed it and allowed 3 of the 5 gigs, even though Croke Park had already used up it's annual allowance for 3 gigs earlier in the year.

We then had every politician in the country trying to influence DCC to get them to change their mind.

DCC refused to be influenced and a petulant hasbeen decided to cancel all the gigs.

Fair play to DCC for doing their jobs properly, there may be some hope for the country yet, maybe the days of dodgy planning being forced through by dodgy politicians are over.
    I doubt it though and I reckon this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Well, it was about begrudgers and moaners and their issues oveir their handball alley.

You really really REALLY have no clue about the area do you? Forget the handball court and the local residents for one minute. If you are familiar with that area you will know what the traffic is like on a normal weekday evening. Now add 80,000 people plus the cars/coaches/mini buses that they have and tell me that the area wouldn't descend into chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Fair play to DCC for doing their jobs properly,

Eh your kidding right? DCC have not come out of this in any way have "done their jobs properly" between

A: not verifying objections (at least 40% fradulent)

B; offering 4 privately, then saying actually it will be 3 events licensed

C: refusing the other 2 gigs because of disruption and over intensification and then proceeding to agree to 2 shows a day contradicting their reasons for refusing the gigs in the first place

Throughout this whole thing DCC have been nothing but a bad joke and havent done their job properly in the slightest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Heres that apology from the Charleville Lodge hotel who caused that fuss on facebook yesterday. Charming.
    At this stage we think it’s about time we made an official statement. If we got your hopes up earlier on, we apologise. Our source obviously wasn’t as reliable as we were led to believe (perhaps this is why they wanted to remain anonymous).
    However, while we may be personally angry with the source, it will remain protected. We thought the ‘OOPS’ comment earlier would be a light-hearted way of diffusing the already escalating hate mail at the time. Unfortunately it looks like it exacerbated it.

As for those of you waiting impatiently for a post saying our Facebook was hacked. You’ll be waiting. Our Facebook page wasn’t hacked. We take full responsibility. All Garth Brooks posts have subsequently been removed, however. Reluctantly so, may I add. This isn’t because we were wrong. It’s because we were contacted by Aiken Promotions who threatened legal proceedings if they were not removed.

We look forward to receiving your continued hate mail and abusive phone calls, and we look forward with a similar amount of excitement to reading the continued torrent of abuse on our Facebook page. Those of you who have said you would not set foot in our hotel and that we are ‘scumbags’, that’s perfectly fine, you are most entitled to your opinions.

Those of you who want to damage our business by writing disparaging (that means bad) reviews on TripAdvisor about how we gave you false hopes, be our guest (pardon the pun). The link is clearly visible on our website www.charlevillelodge.ie.

You might want to get a life though.
    Many thanks,
    The Management

Wow! talk about treating Joe public with contempt! What type of hotel in a recession advises people to "get a life" that's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Wow! talk about treating Joe public with contempt! What type of hotel in a recession advises people to "get a life" that's hilarious

What recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    So, we have an 'artist' and a promoter who sold tickets for an event they didn't have planning permission for.

We have DCC who pushed it and allowed 3 of the 5 gigs, even though Croke Park had already used up it's annual allowance for 3 gigs earlier in the year.
    1) they didn't need "planning permission" for any concert.

2) The "3 gigs a year" agreement has no legitimacy and has nothing to do with DCC and their granting of licences. If the application was for Fri, Sat, Sun and then another 2 Saturday and Sunday gigs the following weekend, they would likely have granted all 5.

these 5 gigs ultimately failed to happen because of too much disruption to an area over a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

miju wrote: »
    Eh your kidding right? DCC have not come out of this in any way have "done their jobs properly" between

A: not verifying objections (at least 40% fradulent)

B; offering 4 privately, then saying actually it will be 3 events licensed

C: refusing the other 2 gigs because of disruption and over intensification and then proceeding to agree to 2 shows a day contradicting their reasons for refusing the gigs in the first place

Throughout this whole thing DCC have been nothing but a bad joke and havent done their job properly in the slightest

D: didn't make the decision you wanted them to make.

Everything else is speculation and, although you could well be correct about some of the objections being forged, it's not DCC's remit into.investigate each and every complain for validity, just to report them if they suspect they are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The DCC have ensured a venue and promoter will not mess up again imo. The planning system works if you listen, adapt and ultimately comply. That is why we have had years of successful events and gigs.
    The damage to Aiken will not just be financial, promoting and representing is all about confidence. The reputational damage here (which anyone who understands the process can plainly see is the applicants fault) will be severe.
    Brooks is nothing but a patronising liar, he is lining up to take the first pound of 'Aiken' heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

had they finalised all the planning and applications before they started selling tickets,
    is this the root of the problem,
    i may be reading things wrong,
    but had they not dotted every i and crossed every t

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

This whole saga reminds me of the film "the field", the Yank who's a decent guy comes into town thinking he's popular with everyone, steps on toes and meets Paddy Irishman who's not for rolling over, he gets ready to move in his big gear but secretly he's being plotted against, he's engages with the other side and eventually takes a bashing, The winner ends up being the loser and local community are divided, fair play to you John B, you captured Ireland of the past and the future!!!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    This whole saga reminds me of the film "the field", the Yank who's a decent guy comes into town thinking he's popular with everyone, steps on toes and meets Paddy Irishman who's not for rolling over, he gets ready to move in his big gear but secretly he's being plotted against, he's engages with the other side and eventually takes a bashing, The winner ends up being the loser and local community are divided, fair play to you John B, you captured Ireland of the past and the future!!!

the good guy who wouldn't play 3 gigs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

EyesClosed wrote: »

Except this yank wanted 5 fields!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I presume the Garth brooks fans were the cattle that were driven over the cliff.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I see the "up to 40% of objections might have been fraudulent said somebody" has already graduated to "40% of objections were fraudulent said the Gardai."
    Would sir like a sinker to accompany the hook and line he has ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

At this stage we think it’s about time we made an official statement. If we got your hopes up earlier on, we apologise. Our source obviously wasn’t as reliable as we were led to believe (perhaps this is why they wanted to remain anonymous).
    However, while we may be personally angry with the source, it will remain protected. We thought the ‘OOPS’ comment earlier would be a light-hearted way of diffusing the already escalating hate mail at the time. Unfortunately it looks like it exacerbated it.

Pretty much fine up to here, and that's probably where they should have left it.

then everything below here was pretty much childish. Not a way for any self-respecting business to conduct itself.
    As for those of you waiting impatiently for a post saying our Facebook was hacked. You’ll be waiting. Our Facebook page wasn’t hacked. We take full responsibility. All Garth Brooks posts have subsequently been removed, however. Reluctantly so, may I add. This isn’t because we were wrong. It’s because we were contacted by Aiken Promotions who threatened legal proceedings if they were not removed.

We look forward to receiving your continued hate mail and abusive phone calls, and we look forward with a similar amount of excitement to reading the continued torrent of abuse on our Facebook page. Those of you who have said you would not set foot in our hotel and that we are ‘scumbags’, that’s perfectly fine, you are most entitled to your opinions.

Those of you who want to damage our business by writing disparaging (that means bad) reviews on TripAdvisor about how we gave you false hopes, be our guest (pardon the pun). The link is clearly visible on our website www.charlevillelodge.ie.

You might want to get a life though.
    Many thanks,
    The Management

I would find it hard to believe the Aiken promotions thing. They did not dis Aiken in any way, all they said was they had a source somewhere who told them the gigs were going ahead. sure they weren't the only ones to say stupid things like that over the last 2 weeks! Aiken are going to be busy suing......

Of course it was removed because they were wrong.... wouldn't look good on their site for prospective guests now would it??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It was after they posted "oops" to try and make light of their error and then that "full" apology was posted after about the 1000th message saying they gave their hotel a 1 star rating on trip advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

EyesClosed wrote: »

That's him alright:eek:

I see where Brooks says in his statement he just received the news that Dublin City Council 'cannot change their earlier ruling to not allow the licence so its not his fault. Brooks says to say he is crushed is an understatement. He goes on to say all he can see is his mother’s face and I hear her voice. She always said things happen for a reason and for the right reason.
    Reason being................
    As usual greed took over and all he saw was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    At the end of the day he could have played 3 and made 250,000 fans happy, instead he prefers to make 400,000 fans unhappy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

goat2 wrote: »
    had they finalised all the planning and applications before they started selling tickets,
    is this the root of the problem,
    i may be reading things wrong,
    but had they not dotted every i and crossed every t

You cannot find a more suitable stadium than CP for an event like this. There is no reason in the world why you wouldn't be able to successfully run gigs there.
    Unless there where issues with residents and unless you failed to comply with planning.
    There where 2 organisations responsible for those aspects and they messed up, nobody else.
    Potentially DCC would also have gained from this event, they would have been on the payroll too for services supplied.
    Nobody (of any importance)outside Ireland will form a view on this based on Facebook posts or forum posts from disappointed fans.
    They will look at the cold hard facts of who failed to deliver this. Planning works pretty much the same the world over with minor variations. Listen, Adapt, Comply. 2 organisations didn't in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Except this yank wanted 5 fields!

And then they offered him 6 and he still said no.

And then they offered him 6 and he still said no.

Maybe because he has life and is planning a tour. Cannot drop everything and comeback again in three months time.

• Advertisement

Maybe because he has life and is planning a tour. Cannot drop everything and comeback again in three months time.

HE screwed you HardLuckWoman, no point in arguing that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement