Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Maybe because he has life and is planning a tour. Cannot drop everything and comeback again in three months time.

If he is in the process of planning a tour, wouldn't now be the ideal time to arrange three dates later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

EyesClosed wrote: »
    HE screwed you HardLuckWoman, no point in arguing that

Nope DCC. Screwed us to be honest. And I'm being civil by saying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

sunbabe08 wrote: »

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Na if he wanted to play 3 gigs he could have, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

If he is in the process of planning a tour, wouldn't now be the ideal time to arrange three dates later in the year?

This was his comeback special. He had a specific stage for this concert, world tour is completely different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well now that it's all (seemingly) done and dusted, I have to admit that I'm disgusted by Brooks.

There's no doubt that the residents come out badly, they kicked up a huge fuss to save themselves 2 nights of hassle regardless of the massive financial boost to Dublin in general. It also seems that there were dirty dealings and numbers artificially boosted in terms of who was objecting.

The DCC have made an arse of themselves, partly for not investigating the (dubious) objections properly, and partly for making the initial decision to reject 2 of the concerts when they did. If the decision could not be appealed or revised, then a concrete decision should have been made before they set the rejection in stone. Then all this nonsense about offering 4 gigs behind the scenes etc.

Aiken comes out badly too for assuming that he would get away with the 5 gigs. It seems now that if they were applying now, a way would be found for all 5. So if Aiken had done his job better in the first place and planned for every scenario then we would not be left in a situation where the plug has been pulled.

But at the end of the day, when do you ever aim that high and get exactly what you want? Brooks should have always been aware that 5 gigs was optimistic. It also makes a liar out of him that the initial plan was 2 nights. 3 was only announced when 2 sold out, 4 and 5 only announced when 3 sold out. So aim for 5 by all means, but if it doesn't work, swallow your pride and do 3. If you're so worried about upsetting your fans, then why make the decision to upset 240,000 on top of the 160,000 who were already upset?

There are so many ways that the 160,000 could have been accommodated. Give those ticket holders priority access for Irish gigs during the world tour. Set up a viewing party in the Pheonix Park or another big venue etc and let ticket holders in free.

Is it a financial decision? I'd imagine so. I don't buy the theory that he wouldn't make any money at all from 3 gigs. But even if true, so what? At worse he might not make much/any profit, but it's certainly not going to cost him money. He's busy trying to tell us that he decided to play Ireland for the comeback because he loves us so much, then play three nights for free. Put on a spectacular extravaganza that would make headlines and pump up enormous anticipation for the world tour.

There simply isn't any logical justification for him to walk away from the 3 concerts other than greed. I know the OTT crew in here (those who are bawling their eyes out and calling the Samaritans) will slate me for this, but it's undeniable. And this is coming from a fan who had tickets, parking and hotel booking in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Not if he's in the middle of touring the US or Canada. Europe wont see him until next summer, my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Maybe because he has life and is planning a tour. Cannot drop everything and comeback again in three months time.

A good lad for the planning is our Garth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Make no mistake about it HLW Brooks saccharine statement was written by his management (who where playing this all along) because they are lining up the writs as we type.

The notion that a management company would allow an artist who hasn't done diddly squat in 17 years make arbitary and emotional decisions is nonsense.
    Garth Brooks PLC done you over to get to the big money. Watch this space.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well now that it's all (seemingly) done and dusted, I have to admit that I'm disgusted by Brooks.

There's no doubt that the residents come out badly, they kicked up a huge fuss to save themselves 2 nights of hassle regardless of the massive financial boost to Dublin in general.
    They didn't 'kick up a huge fuss', they did what they have done many times...paid their money and lodged their objections.

The origin and scale of the forgeries is unknown and could have come from anyone involved. Aiken tried to invoke them to get the decision reversed remember, had that worked they would have been very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Just delighted this whole thing is over now. It's been blown out of all proportion for far too long with a ridiculous amount of media coverage. No doubt Joe Duffy and co will milk it for another few days, hopefully thats it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The origin and scale of the forgeries is unknown and could have come from anyone involved.

If I remember an article correctly one person delivered the large bulk of objections in a box.

It is this person the Gardai are currently trying to identify

miju wrote: »
    If I remember an article correctly one person delivered the large bulk of objections in a box.

All came from 'unnamed sources'.
    We'll wait for the actual Gardai to tell us who and the scale.
    They had no affect anyway as the answer back verification process discovered them and weeded them out.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They had no affect anyway as the answer back verification process discovered them and weeded them out.

Errm no just to clarify ELEVEN people contacted the DCC to say they didnt make objections.

Since then they are very strong indications from Gardai taking statements from all people named in the objection papers that over 180 objections were faked including a prisoner, children and mentally disabled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did all these individual objections pay the €20 fee?

Errm no just to clarify ELEVEN people contacted the DCC to say they didnt make objections.

Since then they are very strong indications from Gardai taking statements from all people named in the objection papers that over 180 objections were faked including a prisoner, children and mentally disabled people.

Eleven is the only confirmed figure we have...and they where taken out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DCC members being questioned by oireachtas committee on RTé news now channel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Owen Keegan and Co. are in front of a Dail Committee regarding the former concerts as we speak.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/council-explains-decision-to-deny-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1866824

They should release the cctv footage on crimecall.

They should release the cctv footage on crimecall.

What about actual crimes?

• Advertisement

Forgeries is an actual crime.

Forgeries is an actual crime.

Its a concert that the artist has cancelled, its OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

calex71 wrote: »
    DCC members being questioned by oireachtas committee on RTé news now channel

thanks

do you know if the full debate will be uploaded on the RTE player or the oirachtas.ie. I missed the beginning of Owen Keegan's contribution

I think on the player on oireachtas.ie, that they tend to stream these debates live, but tend not to upload them to enable us to watch them on demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And then they offered him 6 and he still said no.

It was 5 or None! :D

Its a concert that the artist has cancelled, its OVER

It was over on the 3rd of july, but I always said that based on GB's statement and I knew DCC decision couldn't be changed.

Just because you dont believe forgeries aren't real crimes, dont get into a huff and blame the fans and say its a bloody concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Well, time to get the DCC, residents, GAA into a room and lock them there to come up with some agreements for the future.

DCC can't (I'd assume) grant a license 6 months before an event if the residents have the option of objecting a couple of months before it.

The GAA can't just keep selling concerts and not seem to care about residents or DCC.

The residents have to agree to something so when concerts are sold they won't be blocked.

How hard can it be.

There's an agreement for 3 concerts a year. For those 3 concerts the residents shouldn't be able to block it, so DCC should be able to approve the license a year in advance.

If more concerts are needed they should get into a room now and work it out now for the future, not one month before the next concert is due to go ahead. I'm sure DCC would love to approve more concert days. GAA and residents need to come up with some kind of fix. I'd say the residents need to get together into one coherent group. Not 10 groups of residents with competing demands. That'll never fix anything.

It was over on the 3rd of july, but I always said that based on GB's statement and I knew DCC decision couldn't be changed.

Just because you dont believe forgeries aren't real crimes, dont get into a huff and blame the fans and say its a bloody concert.

I had a ticket, and yes it is just a concert. I happen to go to a lot of them. Not the first time one has been cancelled by the artist on me before. But at the end of the day, it's still just a concert, unless of course Garth is in fact the second coming of Christ.
    My point is, there is no reason to bring up anymore concert related stuff on the news/crimewatch etc, when there is much much more important stuff going on.

Just think for a moment exactly how many laws get broken by submitting 180 falsified objections to a statutory body like Dublin City Council and then re-read your post :rolleyes::rolleyes: or are "white collar" and "fraud crimes" not really crimes at all ?????

I don't know about anyone else, but if anybody forged my signature id be pretty bloody pissed. Your signature of intangible importance, not only is it proof of identity but it binds you to legal documents and records your intention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

1) they didn't need "planning permission" for any concert.

2) The "3 gigs a year" agreement has no legitimacy and has nothing to do with DCC and their granting of licences. If the application was for Fri, Sat, Sun and then another 2 Saturday and Sunday gigs the following weekend, they would likely have granted all 5.

these 5 gigs ultimately failed to happen because of too much disruption to an area over a short space of time.

They have to apply to the planning authority i.e DCC for permission to hold the concert.
    Lets not get so pedantic, ok?

http://crokepark.ie/getmedia/409e1110-3ab6-4c80-aaee-9fd3916a4d5e/Licence_Application_Garth_Brooks.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement