Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You cannot find a more suitable stadium than CP for an event like this.

To be fair, the acoustics in Croke Park are terrible, I've never been to a gig there where the sound was acceptable.

Wembley stadium, a venue that was designed with concerts in mind is a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

It's great the way the Gov and DCC stuck to their guns on the integrity of the planning laws-->now they're just gonna go and rip them up anyway.

Bit stupid no?

And I'm sure since they stuck to them this time that their will never be back room/brown envelope Jobs ever again, no sireeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

It's all Bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Owen Keegan and Co. are in front of a Dail Committee regarding the former concerts as we speak.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/council-explains-decision-to-deny-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1866824

Irish times are saying Garth is a Texan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    They have to apply to the planning authority i.e DCC for permission to hold the concert.
    Lets not get so pedantic, ok?

http://crokepark.ie/getmedia/409e1110-3ab6-4c80-aaee-9fd3916a4d5e/Licence_Application_Garth_Brooks.pdf

they applied for an Event Licence, as specifically stated in your link.

Planning Permission is something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Its a concert that the artist has cancelled, its OVER

Not for the gobshites that thought it would be a good idea to forge their neighbors signatures it's not!

They've a hefty fine or a stint in prison to look forward to.

You can downplay it all you want, but forging signatures and fraudulently using another persons details is a very serious matter, regardless of the context in which it was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

stevieob wrote: »
    Irish times are saying Garth is a Texan!!!

He's probably too insulted to play here. All the people calling him Gareth and now he's from Texas.

Its Garth from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

He couldn't accept the 'offer' of 2 dates in October- sure he's in the middle of organising a world tour! It's sad, he's always said Croke Park was his favourite venue, and all I wanted was for him to shout 'IRELAND' when he sangs 'The Old Stuff'.. :(

Look, it was a f**king disaster with more than one culprit. But I'll go to Wembley to see him no bother. And now everyone can get super excited about his new album!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    To be fair, the acoustics in Croke Park are terrible, I've never been to a gig there where the sound was acceptable.

Honestly this was my thought on the whole thing from the second it was announced and the hype train started. The vast majority of people would have probably heard more of the drunk annoying people around them singing out of tune than Garth as that is typically the reports that always get posted back here after a Croker gig. I was being too nice to say it until it was canceled but you were all probably saved a thoroughly mediocre affair and that is not a comment on Garth but the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Not for the gobshites that thought it would be a good idea to forge their neighbors signatures it's not!

They've a hefty fine or a stint in prison to look forward to.

You can downplay it all you want, but forging signatures and fraudulently using another persons details is a very serious matter, regardless of the context in which it was done.

Forgeries where discovered and dealt with.
    Where they came from no-one knows yet. Aiken attempted to use them for his benefit though.
    Any resident thinking they would help would be a fool and deserve the law being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nssimpson

Well even though it's over, is it? GB says he'll refuse to include Ireland in his world tour so perhaps it's his last stance on this because I'm sure he could still do the 3 dates if he changed his mind by tomorrow evening.

To appease the people who have tickets for the two cancelled dates he should let them see his concert at Croke Park in October and as a sweeter offer them free tickets to a venue of their choice when the world tour starts. Maybe even give them an exclusive golden circle at no extra cost.

EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY!

At the moment everyone is extremely unhappy so come on Garth, sort it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't know about anyone else, but if anybody forged my signature id be pretty bloody pissed. Your signature of intangible importance, not only is it proof of identity but it binds you to legal documents and records your intention.
    Can we get the names of those whose signatures were forged, or proof of this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

they applied for an Event Licence, as specifically stated in your link.

Planning Permission is something else entirely.

Permission from the local planning authority to hold the gigs.

FFS!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can we get the names of those whose signatures were forged, or proof of this please?

Gardai have confirmed it.. what more proof do you want?

Im looking at the refund form here and its a PO Box address.

Sending tickets back is like sending money in the post. I dont want it getting lost.

Does anyone know if you can send it by registered post to a PO Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do you have a link to their confirmation of it? It's just that this is the first I have heard of this barring an independent.ie article that used the infamous "unnamed source" line. Could be a bit of a schcandal if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nssimpson wrote: »
    Well even though it's over, is it? GB says he'll refuse to include Ireland in his world tour
    I hope his people are going to have a quick google of the other places he is going to.

5th post in this very thread in december
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Rule Croke out, only allowed 3 gigs per year and 1D have them sewn up

Or maybe they prefer the feigned ingnorance carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Watched the committee hearing over the last while. It was an audio visual version of this thread; a few people speaking sense and repeating the stance of why there was 3 dates allowed (Keegan and Keohan of Dublin City Council.) and a shed load of TD's like Mick Wallace and Mary Lou McDonald talking through their hoops and throwing out wacky ideas as if it would get them votes. All in all, it went nowhere and revealed nothing new.

"Ireland I'm NOT coming home"

how will he ever have the balls to sing that song ever again?

"Ireland I'm NOT coming home"

how will he ever have the balls to sing that song ever again?

He wont

Watched the committee hearing over the last while. It was an audio visual version of this thread; a few people speaking sense and repeating the stance of why there was 3 dates allowed (Keegan and Keohan of Dublin City Council.) and a shed load of TD's like Mick Wallace and Mary Lou McDonald talking through their hoops and throwing out wacky ideas as if it would get them votes. All in all, it went nowhere and revealed nothing new.

It was like a post mortem

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to their confirmation of it? It's just that this is the first I have heard of this barring an independent.ie article that used the infamous "unnamed source" line. Could be a bit of a schcandal if it's true.

Well it's being reported all over the place that a Garda investigation is what revealed the level of forgery. Obviously they're still investigating and no arrests have been made yet so it'd be impossible for anyone else to 'prove' anything atm

I don't think it would be reported to such an extent if there was nothing to it. If it was simply false then Gardai would come out and say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Im looking at the refund form here and its a PO Box address.

Sending tickets back is like sending money in the post. I dont want it getting lost.

Does anyone know if you can send it by registered post to a PO Box.

Yes you can if you want; we get them in work all the time.

Yes you can if you want; we get them in work all the time.

Cool thanks. Peace of mind.

The above was a general statement in response to a poster who played down forgeries as a crime. I'm generalising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I'd say there is so much crap that went on behind the scenes, that just made him dig his feet in even further.

I mean, he's told by council officials that they will only allow three gigs, then it's four with a nod and a wink, then matinees are approved which would see 160,000 people accessing the streets around Croke Park on the Saturday and then another on the Sunday. Makes the nonsense about 'over-intensification' a joke. I'd have more respect for them if they had just stayed firm with the offer for three concerts to be honest.

The fact that in the end they would allow the five, but only with a gap of three or four months just makes it all seem so petty. Like they just wanted to have a little something just so they could say they won. It was an inept system that caused this and it was bound to happen sooner or later. No real surprise that it happened with one of the biggest ticketed events the city has seen in many many years, or will be likely to see.

I feel there needs to be different application deadlines for concerts with regards to their expected attendance, as it just seems the bigger the audience, the more there more planning and work there is involving them and so obviously, the more issues there are that could crop up. Ten weeks is just too paltry, no idea why it was ever amended down to that level. Aiken in fairness applied four weeks before that but it would seem that even that wasn't enough for the DCC to get things together.

I don't see a way around it though:

If Aiken managed to bag Bowie to play Croke park next May after having a conversation with him in Feburary and Boyband 57 just played three gigs there in Janurary, how do they manage to get apply for a licence in that time and then wait for it before they can sell tickets. The bloody date would come and go before the DCC / Planners could manage to grant the damn thing, if this concert is anything to go by at least.

Alan Kelly seems to have the will to change the system at least but I don't envy the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I feel sorry for the genuine fans who will miss out on his gigs .

But at the end the day he said 5 or none , that's a horrible attitude to take when he has 3 shows granted . Why not use next summers 3 licenses and have him do 3 gigs next summer . That's a total of 6 and no is disappointed .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

"up to 40% may have been fraudulent said an Indo source." now equates to Garda confirmation? LOL!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'd say there is so much crap that went on behind the scenes, that just made him dig his feet in even further.

I mean, he's told by council officials that they will only allow three gigs, then it's four with a nod and a wink
    I see this "tacit approval for 5 gigs" line cropping up every second post now just like the "Garda statement on proven 40% fraudulent objections".
    Any source besides "a source said"?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    "up to 40% may have been fraudulent said an Indo source." now equates to Garda confirmation? LOL!

If you want proper confirmation you can call up their press-office and ask for it.

Are you doubting what is being reported btw? And if so, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Dan_Solo wrote: »

Thejournal.ie have a summary of the committee hearing today, and while this is no doubt not explicit enough confirmation for you, based on your scepticism of all other similar posts, the apparent absence of any denial or rebuttal of the allegations speaks volumes:
    Sinn Féin’s Mary-Lou McDonald raised the recent report about fraudulent objections made through the public consultation process. She said she believed the council had been “negligent” with its system for validating submissions.

Keegan told her that the council is constrained in what it can do, as it can not demand any fees or documentation to authenticate objections but that recent events raise “legitimate questions” about the process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement