Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

nm wrote: »
    Why, because there are what, 5 ads on ebay?

They did a great job for 250,000 people. Several hundred are disappointed, pity he couldn't do a forth night or a bigger venue, but not ticketmasters fault.

Because if you look back about 30 pages and see the torment people suffered looking at a screen for 2 hours that says 'waiting time 15 mins, do not refresh the page'. Waiting online from 9 am to be told 2 hours later there's no match! There system is ridiculous. And not to mention the people that waited outside ticketmaster and they only let out a few tickets, some didnt open doors until well after 9am. Seems so many fans wernt able to get tickets, but touts seemed to have cleaned up, I saw one tout saying he had 18 tickets to sell. Something just doesn't add up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It was released on DVD a few years ago. It's named "The Entertainer". Not sure if it's on youtube but there are torrents available.

Saw this clip on facebook (apoligies if the link doesn't work)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153768578740206

Thank you very much. The link works also :)

Was 13 when he was here last time so didn't get to go to the concert but hopefully I'll be there this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

lucky333 wrote: »
    Because if you look back about 30 pages and see the torment people suffered looking at a screen for 2 hours that says 'waiting time 15 mins, do not refresh the page'. Waiting online from 9 am to be told 2 hours later there's no match! There system is ridiculous. And not to mention the people that waited outside ticketmaster and they only let out a few tickets,

It's called a queue, it's how most systems work and it's the fairest way. There wasn't enough tickets for people at the end of the queue, end of story.

I didn't even get a ticket nor did I want one but someone asked me to try for a couple of standing for them as I have a reasonably powerful internet connection in work. I wasn't even on ticketmaster at 9 and I still got offered two in the Davin Stand though, which I turned down (check the thread for whatever time I said this).

With 250,000 chances you must be a pretty **** 'true fan' to have not got even one.
    Seems so many fans wernt able to get tickets, but touts seemed to have cleaned up, I saw one tout saying he had 18 tickets to sell. Something just doesn't add up there.

The touts havent cleaned up though, if they had there would be tickets getting sold everywhere and the price of them would be lower.

The guy in this thread who said he got 18 tickets was a troll, he also said he had a cow giving birth outside that he needed to get back to (that's the guy right?).

In any case if it was true, then ticketmaster definitely worked, or does the calf guy have his own separate VIP queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

It's called a queue, it's how most systems work and it's the fairest way. There wasn't enough tickets for people at the end of the queue, end of story.

I didn't even get a ticket nor did I want one but someone asked me to try for a couple of standing for them as I have a reasonably powerful internet connection in work. I wasn't even on ticketmaster at 9 and I still got offered two in the Davin Stand though, which I turned down (check the thread for whatever time I said this).

With 250,000 chances you must be a pretty **** 'true fan' to have not got even one.

The touts havent cleaned up though, if they had there would be tickets getting sold everywhere and the price of them would be lower.

The guy in this thread who said he got 18 tickets was a troll, he also said he had a cow giving birth outside that he needed to get back to (that's the guy right?).

In any case if it was true, then ticketmaster definitely worked, or does the calf guy have his own separate VIP queue?

No you are completely wrong. As I said, I was online at 9am in the queue , I was not at the end of a queue. I have been watching donedeal and other sites since then so I know what's been going up for sale and how many.
    Your not even a fan, from your rudeness I'm going to guess you are probly connected to ticketmaster in some way. Something to hide maybe? Maybe afraid of people standing up and wanting an explanation. Well I hope it's looked into. I would like to see how many tickets the staff got for themselves and all there family and friends before opening the doors or selling to ppl.
    I don't know what your going on about cows and such nonsense. If you were a fan that didnt get tickets you would most likely be on all the other sites trying to get them and you would see the amout of tickets going up constantly, for hundreds each. But your not a fan, so il leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm not a Garth Brooks fan but I can see why so many of you are upset.

I'm a huge fan of Billy Connolly and when his tickets went on sale a few years ago, I queued up for about four hours.
    There were other people ahead of me and the queue was moving slowly.
    I saw several lads buying six tickets each; no doubt touts.

I'd only made it to the middle of the queue when the staff at Ticketmaster told everyone to stop queuing-that the Billy Connolly tickets were sold out.
    I will admit I cried.

I know there are people who find that pathetic, but it's true.
    I'm a huge fan of his-back then I didn't actually have the Internet so my only option was to queue, and I'd waited patiently for ages.
    To hear I wouldn't be getting a ticket to see someone I really liked, well it was upsetting.

I was just about to leave when I overheard a security guard telling someone more tickets had gone on sale, so I rejoined the queue and got my tickets.
    I was absolutely thrilled.

For those of you slating people for getting upset for not getting Garth Brooks tickets-please remember that a lot of people work incredibly hard day in, day out, they work hard for their money and they were willing to put the time and effort and money into waiting to buy tickets for their idol.
    So what if they cried?

The man is an idol for some people and in this day and age, with recession and all, they just wanted something to look forward to.
    Something to make their day that little bit brighter, knowing they'd be going to see someone who makes them happy.

Leave them alone and don't be so cruel.
    I hope Garth puts more dates on and I hope you, his fans, manage to get tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm not a Garth Brooks fan but I can see why so many of you are upset.

I'm a huge fan of Billy Connolly and when his tickets went on sale a few years ago, I queued up for about four hours.
    There were other people ahead of me and the queue was moving slowly.
    I saw several lads buying six tickets each; no doubt touts.

I'd only made it to the middle of the queue when the staff at Ticketmaster told everyone to stop queuing-that the Billy Connolly tickets were sold out.
    I will admit I cried.

I know there are people who find that pathetic, but it's true.
    I'm a huge fan of his-back then I didn't actually have the Internet so my only option was to queue, and I'd waited patiently for ages.
    To hear I wouldn't be getting a ticket to see someone I really liked, well it was upsetting.

I was just about to leave when I overheard a security guard telling someone more tickets had gone on sale, so I rejoined the queue and got my tickets.
    I was absolutely thrilled.

For those of you slating people for getting upset for not getting Garth Brooks tickets-please remember that a lot of people work incredibly hard day in, day out, they work hard for their money and they were willing to put the time and effort and money into waiting to buy tickets for their idol.
    So what if they cried?

The man is an idol for some people and in this day and age, with recession and all, they just wanted something to look forward to.
    Something to make their day that little bit brighter, knowing they'd be going to see someone who makes them happy.

I hope Garth puts more dates on and I hope you, his fans, manage to get tickets.

i can relate to this, nearly had a panic attack yesterday and was very close to crying myself yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the alternative folks? No IT system in the world could handle the demand. So what is it? We all get out a queue on a cold night? They double the ticket prices?

More expensive seats available for "real" fans? Like this....
    https://vipnation.com/tours/kings-of-leon/2014-mechanical-bull-tour/8154495a6ad759e8ae67088884e553c9VwZjZFV=/738117f8ee10c37c082ab09947598dbeVwL4BGLv

By the way, Ticketmaster hold ebay-style auctions for other gigs around the world. Looks like it may be coming our way...
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/ticketauctions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Maybe afraid of people standing up and wanting an explanation. Well I hope it's looked into. I would like to see how many tickets the staff got for themselves and all there family and friends before opening the doors or selling to ppl.

Every single time there is a gig that sells out quickly and people are disappointed this sort of line is trotted out. Guess what, this isn't the first set of gigs that have sold out quickly and have left people disappointed. Nothing will be done and nothing will be looked into because it never has before. People have been disappointed before at not getting tickets before and it'll happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I just clicked on the 'Garth Brooks' trending thing (in Ireland) on Twitter...and saw this...

Carol Hunt ‏@carolmhunt 20m

So, there are to be FOUR Garth Brooks concerts at Croker? I may have to move house! #neighbour #notafan

Someone questioned this, and Carol Hunt says the 4th gig hasn't been announced yet...'but will be'....

Apparently she's a journalist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

We all get out a queue on a cold night? They double the ticket prices?[/URL]

It's how U2 handled the sales of their Lovetown shows in the Point back in Dec 1989. People queuing in the carpark outsode the Point Depot, the place looked like a shanty town. There were plenty of touts around that night too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'm going to guess you are probly connected to ticketmaster in some way. Something to hide maybe? Maybe afraid of people standing up and wanting an explanation. Well I hope it's looked into.

Well, that's just nuts.

I hate ticketmaster for plenty of reasons (fee's etc) but 250,000 tickets distributed in 2 hours is no small task and they did it as best could be expected.

You can't please everyone when they won't all fit, that's my only point and the only reason I have an opinion at all is because this stuff keeps getting shoved in my face on the radio, newspapers, facebook etc etc. constantly for the last 24 hrs.
    IMO clearly the demand has simply outweighed the supply, that's all, and ranting and attacking ebay might be therapeutic but it's not going to make Croke Park any bigger.

Fair enough, will do now.
    Leave them alone and don't be so cruel.I hope Garth puts more dates on and I hope you, his fans, manage to get tickets.

Me too.

oh dear the croke park residents will not be happy if there is a fourth gig, while the rest of us will be jumping for joy. if it's on thursday night i will go. i have no problem with that, i don't mind staying in dublin for 4 night, sure i have accommodation still for friday and saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not everyone is aware of toutless you know and some people ended up with extras because multiple people were trying different avenues of purchase.

Plus ebay is an international platform unlike adverts and donedeal...it may not be Irish people who are selling them.
    ebay have a buy it now option. So a genuine person stuck with tickets who did not want to profit from them could sell for face value as a buy it now, with enough to cover ebay fees & postage. If they are doing a normal auction they know full well they will get a lot more and someone is paying over the odds, their hands are certainly not tied.

I imagine loads of people did get too many, 2 people might have been trying on different computers and only found out after that both were successful. People will pull out. People will have bought 6 thinking someone they know might be looking for one later on.

I do not believe for 1 second that someone not looking to profit is putting them on ebay a day later using a regular auction. Sure the gig is ages away, they have plenty of time and will certainly hear of a friend/family/colleague/neighbour looking for one between now and then. Why sell to a stranger at face value if you can sell to a friend/acquaintance who will greatly appreciate it.

If you want to make money just admit it, you're not exactly hitler, but you're insulting peoples intelligence if you're trying to make out that you made a huge profit "by accident" or had no say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ridiculous thing for a mod to endorse. Does boards.ie want to troll ebay now?
    Geldof requested people did it for live 8 tickets

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4095464.stm
    Bidders who tried to prevent the sale of Live 8 tickets on auction website eBay have had their accounts suspended.
    They placed bids of up to £10m for the tickets after Live 8 organiser Bob Geldof asked people to place "impossible bids" to prevent the sales.

The site later decided to withdraw the sales of the 2 July concert tickets, which were won through a text contest.

But those who placed high bids in the meantime were e-mailed by eBay to say they had been suspended from the site.

'Deliberate disruption'

Under eBay policy, it means they will not be able to use eBay in any way, including registering a new account.

David Tilley, from Claverham, near Bristol, was one of the bidders affected.

He placed a high bid and his account was frozen due to a "deliberate attempt to disrupt an auction".

But at the same time he was sent an e-mail to say the tickets had been withdrawn anyway as they breached acceptable items policy.

These tickets were not to be sold on ebay anyways
    OldGoat wrote: »
    If you drive up the price dramatically it will be obvious and the tout will just get remove the bid.
    They might not be able to cancel or may not bother, but if doing it then a high value works best. The problem with not paying up is that the ebay history appears to show that the tickets did sell for this price.

In ebay you can search completed listings. This lets you find out the true going rate for items, very useful. In this case someone may think it is the going rate and pay another seller a similar amount. You need at least 2 people doing ridiculously high bids so a high value is generated. e.g. if someone bids 1million and the others go to 500 then it does look like it sold for 500, as the 1 million amount is never revealed.

Many people do not realise the ebay max bid system and so treat it like a regular auction you see on TV, when really its a proxy auction. Its more similar to a phone bidding guy who a billionaire says "I will pay up to 1million for that item, but do not go shouting out 1million at the start just keep outbidding any other people in the room but stay below 1million, I might get it for 500,000"

-Part of the problem is that the tickets were relatively cheap in the first place. He could have charged €90-100 and easily sold out. Most people will have a limit of about €120 or so that they would spend on a gig, unless they are a OTT fan. So touts will have bought these up safely knowing they could easily get €40 profit. If they were €100 in the first place you would have less average joe willing to spend €140. Paul simon was recently ~€122 with the fees in the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Zardoz

So what if they cried?

I dont think people are being cruel in general but some people who didnt get tickets have over reacted.
    Its not as if the gigs are on this weekend and there is no chance of getting tickets .
    The concerts are not on for another 6 months ,thats plenty of time for people to get tickets .

As I said in previous posts there will be plenty of tickets available between now and July at face value.
    Ticketmaster always hold back tickets ,usually 10% of each gig .
    People will be on holidays in July ,out of the country they wont be going so will sell tickets and alot of people bought six tickets when they only needed 2-4 so these will become available.
    250,000 tickets is a huge amount and Ireland is a small country .

There is also the possibility of an extra gig being announced either in Dublin or elsewhere .

Brooks will also be touring in 2015 and will most likely play indoors in the Uk so you could always see him over there if the worst came to the worst.
    Nice trip and the advantage of seeing him indoors instead of a huge field.

I dont understand people losing the plot and paying huge money to touts ,its ludicrous ,sit tight and anyone who wants a ticket will get one at face value ,there will be loads floating around in 6 months time I have no doubt of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just make a new account that you don't intent to use properly and bid away, you aren't forced to pay, you'll just receive non payment strikes against your account.

for a mod to be pushing this kind of advice is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time :rolleyes:

if i was to do this on adverts id be banned or get a "strike" for time wasting or get negative feedback on my account , i screen shotted the two comments for reference next time :) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Astonishingly, boards does not have a Country Music forum. I aim to right a wrong, please consider giving this forum request a +1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138217

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MadsL wrote: »
    Astonishingly, boards does not have a Country Music forum. I aim to right a wrong, please consider giving this forum request a +1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138217
    Can we just get a Garth Brooks forum?

yeah. like that idea better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

its madness these ticket sales , and there is supposed to be a recession on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Zardoz wrote: »
    I dont think people are being cruel in general but some people who didnt get tickets have over reacted.
    Its not as if the gigs are on this weekend and there is no chance of getting tickets .
    The concerts are not on for another 6 months ,thats plenty of time for people to get tickets .

As I said in previous posts there will be plenty of tickets available between now and July at face value.
    Ticketmaster always hold back tickets ,usually 10% of each gig .
    People will be on holidays in July ,out of the country they wont be going so will sell tickets and alot of people bought six tickets when they only needed 2-4 so these will become available.
    250,000 tickets is a huge amount and Ireland is a small country .

There is also the possibility of an extra gig being announced either in Dublin or elsewhere .

Brooks will also be touring in 2015 and will most likely play indoors in the Uk so you could always see him over there if the worst came to the worst.
    Nice trip and the advantage of seeing him indoors instead of a huge field.

I dont understand people losing the plot and paying huge money to touts ,its ludicrous ,sit tight and anyone who wants a ticket will get one at face value ,there will be loads floating around in 6 months time I have no doubt of that.

^^^^^^^This!!!

The amount of tickets that "float" around for any decent sized outdoor gig is always huge.

Take the Phoenix Park for the past two summers. Snow Patrol, Mumford & Sons, SHM & Stone Roses were all Sold Out shows (45,500 capacity) and there was a wagon load of tickets on sale around the country.

Michael Buble at the Aviva is another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Getting a Country Forum first I'd say would be the easiest, no?

Add your support here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138217

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

barney4001 wrote: »

Recession?? Where's that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

A V A wrote: »
    for a mod to be pushing this kind of advice is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time :rolleyes:

if i was to do this on adverts id be banned or get a "strike" for time wasting or get negative feedback on my account , i screen shotted the two comments for reference next time :) lol

Adverts doesn't allow touting

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gnashman

could anyone pls tell why the premium tickets for croke park were not on sale yesterday. only upper and lower tickets on sale for the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

gnashman wrote: »
    could anyone pls tell why the premium tickets for croke park were not on sale yesterday. only upper and lower tickets on sale for the stands

the 10 year ticket holders get first preference:

As always premium ticket holders have first option to purchase tickets for their seats.
    They will go on sale from Thursday 30th Jan at 1pm and will be available to purchase through your online account which is accessible here

The closing date to purchase tickets is Friday 21st February at 5pm, tickets will be unavailable after this date

See the Croke Park website for more information

Therfore, it's highly possible that any seats not purchased will be released on TM the following day!!!

barney4001 wrote: »

pfft no recession here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Does anyone know if the extra tickets do go on sale would it usually be during the day at a random time?

I'm so desperate for a ticket... am so upset.

And like the rest of the disappointed real fans I am afraid to get my hopes up to only be let down again.....yes i know it might sound silly that I am upset that i dont have a ticket and yes i know there are worse things happening in the world.... but just so gutted!

I cancelled my honeymoon and moved the dates when he announced an extra date in Las Vegas... so it literally cost me over €1,500 euro to see him.. between moving our internal flights to make sure we were in las vegas on that night and then the tickets themselves

So it pains me now to have missed out here in Ireland....... i am so torn i actually dont think I can cope with not going to see him.... and all the great (and much appreciated) advice on here seems to say hold out that there will be plenty of tickets... but what if there isnt?!?!?!

I am so torn.............

I'm also a bit annoyed, not that we didnt get tickets due to supply and demand but that it didnt seem fair the way it was done. I was in that Q at 9am on the dot... so was my husband at home and 4 other people for us... and not one of us got tickets... yet there was a guy on facebook boasting that he logged in at 9.15 and got 6 tickets... then went straight back in and got tickets for the sunday..

I just dont know where i went wrong:( so if more go on sale im afraid i will miss out again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Amanda7326 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the extra tickets do go on sale would it usually be during the day at a random time?

The answer is yes, yes and a thousand times yes. This happened with the Bruce gigs last year (same promoter) and I'll eat Garth's big ten gallon hat if the same doesn't happen this year. You just have to keep checking the TM site and you might get lucky.

Even if extra tickets don't go on sale on TM (which is highly unlikely), there's always spare tickets flying around closer to the event. You just have to check Adverts.ie and Toutless.com (if you want tickets of the face value variety).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

JJ wrote: »
    The answer is yes, yes and a thousand times yes. This happened with the Bruce gigs last year (same promoter) and I'll eat Garth's big ten gallon hat if the same doesn't happen this year. You just have to keep checking the TM site and you might get lucky.

Even if extra tickets don't go on sale on TM (which is highly unlikely), there's always spare tickets flying around closer to the event. You just have to check Adverts.ie and Toutless.com (if you want tickets of the face value variety).

Thanks JJ, fingers crossed... im afraid to buy in case they are a scam or something.... will be checking TM religiously for the next few months lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement