Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

OldGoat wrote: »
    Are your family in the catchment area and have they applied to be included?
    http://www.crokepark.ie/about/community/croke-park-ticket-scheme

have indeed :) went to one meating we only knew about , sent in the forms etc . . . nothing lol its all boll*x , same thing every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

lighterman wrote: »
    Anyone know who'll be doing security at this

Phil and Grant Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Anyone know who'll be doing security at this

who ever it is will do quite well out of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Had 4 spare and GAVE them to family...... Can't say fairer than that..

of course i wasting being off with you , and i understand some people are fans but 5 nights in a row i think is a bit much lol in a way to me , that almost like a tout, holding back the tickets so no one else can get at them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

A V A wrote: »
    of course i wasting being off with you , and i understand some people are fans but 5 nights in a row i think is a bit much lol in a way to me , that almost like a tout, holding back the tickets so no one else can get at them lol

My 5 nights plus friend= 10 tickets

Some people bought that for one night!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

bren2001 wrote: »
    I'm aware of the rules in relation to the concerts. It was only a week ago that Peter Aiken announced there would be no fourth gig. I can only presume that he contacted and met with the relevant people.

There were similar protest around the Phoenix Park gigs last year. Ultimately, it will amount to nothing.

The concert will go on.

Well they are talking about getting a court injunction to have it stopped so I wouldn't be so confident at this stage . The local elections are in the area too around the time of the gig . So it could be stopped . I know my family are not too happy about it at all .

A V A wrote: »

not really. obviously galway fan is a fan of garth brooks and he obviously wants to see him as much as he can. i know i would love to go to all 5, just to listen to him sing for 5 nights in a row would be awesome. but i know myself come july i'm gonna be looking for money for college next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭bren2001

Well they are talking about getting a court injunction to have it stopped so I wouldn't be so confident at this stage . The local elections are in the area too around the time of the gig . So it could be stopped . I know my family are not too happy about it at all .

I'm not contesting anything you are saying really. But I've seen the court injunctions before, I've seen a local TD popping out etc. Yet I've never seen a concert not go ahead (except for Prince but that was very different....).

I'm sure the locals are annoyed that there are 8 concerts (?) and the NFL (which is on at a normal time). I just cannot imagine the Aiken would not of gotten the approval before announcing these gigs.

I'll go as far as to say, I will eat the shoes I am wearing now if these concerts don't go ahead. The shoes are not in the best of shape.

ahh come here, they have to listen to one direction for 3 nights, surely garth brooks can't be that bad for them to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

How do you know the RA won't have it stopped ?

I have family in that area and I can honestly say when I lived there concerts where a pain to deal with . Free tickets and the likes will mean damn all to people with new born and young children in the area and also the elderly too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I'm sure the locals are annoyed that there are 8 concerts (?) and the NFL (which is on at a normal time). I just cannot imagine the Aiken would not of gotten the approval before announcing these gigs.

[Pendantic Mode]It's an NCAA game, not NFL.[/End Pedantic Mode]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sarcasm meter must be off .

OK, I left it at home today but there are plenty of ads floating around with blatant makey-uppy stories about why the person can't go. I'd prefer it if they just said I'm selling these tickets to make a profit and I hope you'd like to purchase these so I can make some cash off of this. A little honesty can go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SeaFields wrote: »
    In case it suits anyone still looking for tickets. From Croke Park Facebook

Linky

€295 for a bit of smoked salmon at the gig :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Garth Vader

I'm not contesting anything you are saying really. But I've seen the court injunctions before, I've seen a local TD popping out etc. Yet I've never seen a concert not go ahead (except for Prince but that was very different....).

I'll go as far as to say, I will eat the shoes I am wearing now if these concerts don't go ahead. The shoes are not in the best of shape.

Aiken do not have approval for the concerts. The planning conditions attached to the redevelopment of Croke Park stipulate that a maximum of 3 non sporting events(i.e. concerts) can be held in any calendar year- these have already been allocated to other concerts. Therefore, they and Croke Park, are required to apply for an event license- similar to a planning application - to Dublin City Council.Strictly speaking, the promoter would appear to be breaking the law by offering the tickets for sale. A contract - (i.e. offering a ticket for sale) in the absence of statutory approvals being in place is a form of statutory illegality. Just make sure you have event insurance.

I can't believe people would stoop so low as to try and get the concerts stopped. They must have nothing to pass the time.

There are 365 days in the year and croke park draws a big enough crowd to cause a bit of disruption maybe 20 days a year. Hardly a big deal. What would they do if they lived beside a premier league ground with matches almost every week.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The allocation for residents is far less then the total amount that want them, it's a lottery effectively. So your not guaranteed tickets.

Being active in the RA helps ;)

---

Aiken would not have put in 5 shows if they where not 100% sure they could go ahead.

Similar thing happened last year with MCD and the Summer Phoenix park gigs

Well the difference with the two venues would be down to the fact no one lives right beside where the concers take place in the Phoenix park but you have people who live right beside croke park . You could also say they didn't play 5 gigs on the trot too .
    I would imagine the first 4 have gotten the go ahead but announcing the 5th and selling it could be the straw that broke the camels back in regards to the local population .
    So now it all comes down to the RA and the likes to see if they want to go ahead and try to block it . They do have a lot of valid arguments and who knows what could happen between now and July .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭bren2001

Aiken do not have approval for the concerts. The planning conditions attached to the redevelopment of Croke Park stipulate that a maximum of 3 non sporting events(i.e. concerts) can be held in any calendar year- these have already been allocated to other concerts. Therefore, they and Croke Park, are required to apply for an event license- similar to a planning application - to Dublin City Council.Strictly speaking the promoter is breaking the law by offering the tickets for sale. A contract - (i.e. offering a ticket for sale) in the absence of statutory approvals being in place is a form of statutory illegality. Just make sure you have event insurance.

What I mean to say, is that I'm sure Aiken talked to the relevant people off the record about the gig. They, of course, have not filed the paperwork yet for the concert.

It is not unusual for a promoter to sell tickets without the licenses in order. Every gig is "subject to license", I don't see it as illegal at all as they have provided their own get out clause if it is viewed as a contract. If they dont get the license you get your money back. I wouldn't waste the money on event insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can't believe people would stoop so low as to try and get the concerts stopped. They must have nothing to pass the time.

There are 365 days in the year and croke park draws a big enough crowd to cause a bit of disruption maybe 20 days a year. Hardy a big deal.

I'd imagine 5 nights in a row would be a bit of a kicker (and I say this as someone who is going to the concert).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

Well the difference with the two venues would be down to the fact no one lives right beside where the concers take place in the Phoenix park but you have people who live right beside croke park . You could also say they didn't play 5 gigs on the trot too .
    I would imagine the first 4 have gotten the go ahead but announcing the 5th and selling it could be the straw that broke the camels back in regards to the local population .
    So now it all comes down to the RA and the likes to see if they want to go ahead and try to block it . They do have a lot of valid arguments and who knows what could happen between now and July .

With all the hotel rooms that have been booked, at double-triple prices, if you think that these shows have a snowball's chance in he&$ of being cancelled, you've been spending too much time in Amsterdam.

Edit to add: Not to mention the $$$$$$$ that will be made on food and drink at the pubs and restaurants over the 5 days. Snowball's chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Will be sword id imagine.

I don't think so. I don't think they've the contract for inside the stadium. Could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

8-10 wrote: »
    €295 for a bit of smoked salmon at the gig :eek:

Is it?! :eek: I never looked at the program. They do the same for the All Irelands and the price is around the €120 if memory serves. Ticket, breakfast, stadium tour. I assumed it would be on a par with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Just watched the dvd of the last croker gig.

ohmygod July can't come fast enough.

there's no way these gigs will be cancelled, especially with the amount of money that will be spent from friday to wednesday. that's 6 days of people shopping eating and using transportation. this will get sorted. fingers crossed

Ticketmaster is going to process 400,000 refunds. I'm sure they'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I don't think so. I don't think they've the contract for inside the stadium. Could be wrong though

There's a couple of companies at work. IIRC (on match days) Frontline do Hill 16 and outside the stadium, Brinks Allied look after the cash from concessions etc and Cusack/Davin/Hogan stands and pitch gates are done by voluntary stewards. It's a bit more complicated for a gig though as you need people on the pitch so it's possible that Aiken will supply those. I can't remember who did pitch security for the gigs in 2011.

maybe a visit from Garth Brooks himself might please them.

With all the hotel rooms that have been booked, at double-triple prices, if you think that these shows have a snowball's chance in he&$ of being cancelled, you've been spending too much time in Amsterdam.

Edit to add: Not to mention the $$$$$$$ that will be made on food and drink at the pubs and restaurants over the 5 days. Snowball's chance.

Too much time in Amsterdam ? How do you come to that conclusion .
    Also your point about the whole thing of money being spent is irrelevant to the people who aren't happy about it because the majority of the people around the area won't see any benefit of the large amounts of money generated by 5 gigs on the trot .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Zardoz

McKenna explained that the process is not as arduous as that which faced his team in 2009 after U2's three-night stint, just five days before the first All-Ireland SFC quarter-final. "The stage is not nearly as dramatic as some of the stages like U2," he outlined.

"It's actually back on Hill 16 so it's not that far in on the pitch.

So they are still persisting with that nonsense of putting the stage up on Hill 16.
    The people up close and seating down low will have sore necks from looking up at the stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Too much time in Amsterdam ? How do you come to that conclusion .
    Also your point about the whole thing of money being spent is irrelevant to the people who aren't happy about it because the majority of the people around the area won't see any benefit of the large amounts of money generated by 5 gigs on the trot .

Your missing the point that business and €€€'s trump over "people who aren't happy about it." The RA, basically no one could really give a fiddle de dee about them (whether they or whoever want to admit it). But like a small child in a room full of adults being ignored they'll start screaming to get attention. Won't make a difference. The show will go on.

• Advertisement

The businesses in the neighborhood certainly will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement