Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

I'm going on Friday, there's 8 of us going and ideally we'd love to stick together but that's not looking likely now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ringerbell wrote: »
    Only other concert I was on croke park for was Westlife back in 09 (I think) and clonliff college was open for parking. It's great as its right beside croke park and was €10 to park in it all day, we plan to do the same this time around again as we staying out in malahide

Can you pre book?

I'll be staying in Saggart most likely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What's the chances of parking anywhere near Croke Park?

If you park at the park and ride carpark at white hall church you are on a direct bus corridor straight to Quinns/Drumcondra and then its just a 10 minute walk to Croker from there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ringerbell wrote: »
    . It always seems to be the same RA who is complaining all the time would suit them better if they could find a way to use these concerts to their advantage

The local area has gotten huge monies over the years put into youth resources etc from Croke Park (I used to live there while it was being upsized). Some of them are never happy though

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Does anyone know if its true that the residents around Croke Park are seeking an injunctions against the concerts going ahead, if true what are the odds of them winning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Can you pre book?

I'll be staying in Saggart most likely.

if you are staying in Saggart, just get the Luas straight into town and then just a few mins walk.

No need for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Does anyone know if its true that the residents around Croke Park are seeking an injunctions against the concerts going ahead, if true what are the odds of them winning?

Yes they are and very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭bren2001

What's the chances of parking anywhere near Croke Park?

I'm probably going to be staying a fair bit out of the city, as all the central places are a fortune.

Planning to come down (from Donegal) early on the Sunday and just park somewhere in the afternoon around 1 or 2 and spend a few hours in the city beforehand.

Any recommendations for all day parking?

If you come down early you should get parking on the street in fairview/marino. It is free. The problem with Clonliffe College is that the queues to get out are massive, after big GAA games can be over an hour. Park on the street and you will be out in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Slim to none I'd wager, I agree with their stance but in a court a Judge would likely see it as a few of them being put out for vs 160k being put out if no concerts happened. Promoters will likely just pay them off , but they should be slapped with a seriously hefty fine for their arrogance and cheek selling shows with no license and their breech of agreement with residents over the number of show that they put on a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭bren2001

calex71 wrote: »
    Slim to none I'd wager, I agree with their stance but in a court a Judge would likely see it as a few of them being put out for vs 160k being put out if no concerts happened. Promoters will likely just pay them off , but they should be slapped with a seriously hefty fine for their arrogance and cheek selling shows with no license and their breech of agreement with residents over the number of show that they put on a year.

Every show is sold without a license. Hence the big "subject to license" at the bottom of the ticket and ad.

There is no breech of agreement with the residents or an Board Pleanala, the concerts have not gone ahead yet. They will apply for planning permission. It was the same with the Phoenix Park gigs last year.

You want the concerts to go ahead and Aiken to be given a fine when they have not done anything wrong yet. In the million to one chance they did not obtain a license, they would just refund everybody their ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

One person on the news complaining, complained about drunks. Why would people pay for tickets, just to go to croker to and get fúck faced drunk and fall about the place? For true fans, not a drop of booze will pass their lips or it would be done responsibily. One or two, the very most. People have every other weekend to go out and drink.

I don't know. I'm wrecked and can't argue much.

Do you honestly believe that there are 400,000 true Garth Brooks fans in Ireland?? Of course people will see this as a drinking session, you will see just as many drunk people at the GB concert as you would at Slane. The amount of people who have bought tickets jumping on the bandwagon, heading for the craic simply because everyone else in the country seems to be going.

I think the RA have every right to be pissed off, especially with the concerts on during the week disrupting them going to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Do you honestly believe that there are 400,000 true Garth Brooks fans in Ireland??

No but there are at least 400,000 dedicated Garth Brooks fans all around the world and there will be people coming from the US, Oz, et al to see these gigs. I'm sure there will be some bandwagon jumpers at Croke Park this July and there will be people there having some pints but I can't see it being like Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Hehe

Honestly can't see the residence winning this, mostly because there r 400,000 of us vs how many of them. Pffft

JJ wrote: »
    No but there are at least 400,000 dedicated Garth Brooks fans all around the world and there will be people coming from the US, Oz, et al to see these gigs. I'm sure there will be some bandwagon jumpers at Croke Park this July and there will be people there having some pints but I can't see it being like Slane.

Only time will tell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Ringerbell

bren2001 wrote: »
    If you come down early you should get parking on the street in fairview/marino. It is free. The problem with Clonliffe College is that the queues to get out are massive, after big GAA games can be over an hour. Park on the street and you will be out in no time.

That is true but if you have accomadation booked in Dublin you won't mind waiting the hour. Been parking in the college since started going to croke park and never have had a bad word to say about it. €10 is small price to pay considering your car is looked after etc

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

bren2001 wrote: »

Be careful parking around fairview/marino folks. My relatives used to park here regularly but as of the football championship last year the local clampers are out in force clamping cars on footpaths etc. Before they used to turn a blind eye to it but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Anyone know when the tickets will be posted? Got myself tickets for the Monday for my wife as a surprise birthday present. Her birthday is not until May so was hoping to have them for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

JJ wrote: »

I've done a quick analysis of people I know who are going (family, friends, work colleagues).

Total 24

Genuine GB Fans: 7

People going because partner wanted to go: 4

People going for the session: 8

People who have never been to an outdoor show and decided GB would be a gentle introduction: 5

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Stephen P wrote: »
    Anyone know when the tickets will be posted? Got myself tickets for the Monday for my wife as a surprise birthday present. Her birthday is not until May so was hoping to have them for then.

Some people have gotten theirs in the post already! Well for the Friday anyway!

I've done a quick analysis of people I know who are going (family, friends, work colleagues).

Total 24

People who have never been to an outdoor show and decided GB would be a gentle introduction: 5

gentle introduction? :P:P god bless them.

i have 5 friends who are genuine fans. only one who's going because her b/f is going.

every other of the folks i know are teasing, especially after seeing me on tv 3 news last night:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

ccull123 wrote: »
    Be careful parking around fairview/marino folks. My relatives used to park here regularly but as of the football championship last year the local clampers are out in force clamping cars on footpaths etc. Before they used to turn a blind eye to it but not anymore.

With the local residents kicking up a stink (can't blame them to be honest) DCC will definitely have the clampers at the ready. I wouldn't think of parking anywhere near there on the street tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Hehe

Honestly can't see the residence winning this, mostly because there r 400,000 of us vs how many of them. Pffft

id love to know where you live so we could stand out side your house and p*ss against your wall and such stuff like that :rolleyes:

also imagine 5 days in a row of absolute ignorant drunk arseh*les passing by your door during the day and at night !!! and idiots from the country are the worst , worse than dubliners, the come up to dublin and thread it like a sh*tehole and p*ssing ground!!!!

your ignorance with your "pffft" i find amusing!!!

Brooks was on Jay Leno's final show last night if anyone is interested. Sang The Dance and Friends In Low Places.

Total 24

There's an phenomenon at gigs here called the Event Junkie and these shows will have their fair share. People who pay good money to go because everyone else wants to. They just sit around chatting during the gig and perk up for 'the hits'. At least when it's an outdoor standing gig you can move to avoid them.

chatting during a gig? sure you can barely hear any one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,545 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5 sold out dates in Croke Park is incredible for a Country artist

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Im not a huge fan of Garth Brooks but I do like him and alot of his tunes. I do have one concern about these concerts.

These concerts are huge. 4 Nights in Croke Park is mega stuff. Add to this that the band have not played together in years at this level. What will the energy levels be like for these guys on night 4 ? 4 Straight nights for a younger band who have had practice would be tough Id have thought. I would imagine that they will be doing some indoor arena concerts before going to Croke Park. Most likely in the states but maybe London also.

I really hope its a success. Alot of my family and friends are going. I would go if I go a Fri or Sat ticket.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    chatting during a gig? sure you can barely hear any one :confused:

If you don't think there'll be event junkies at these gigs you're being very naive. As I said, if you're standing you can move away but if you're sat beside them they can ruin the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tazzer wrote: »
    if you are staying in Saggart, just get the Luas straight into town and then just a few mins walk.

No need for parking.

Just checked a journey planner online, reckons it would take an hour & 20 minutes to get from Saggart to Drumcondra. :eek:

I think I'd rather park!

Are those times accurate?

• Advertisement

A V A wrote: »

and idiots from the country are the worst , worse than dubliners, the come up to dublin and thread it like a sh*tehole and p*ssing ground!!!!

I agreed with your sentiments until this...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement