Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

SteM wrote: »
    There's an phenomenon at gigs here called the Event Junkie and these shows will have their fair share. People who pay good money to go because everyone else wants to. They just sit around chatting during the gig and perk up for 'the hits'. At least when it's an outdoor standing gig you can move to avoid them.

Is there? While the people you describe certainly exist, I don't think anyone has ever used the term Event Junkie to describe them before now. Besides, they already have a name - dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just checked a journey planner online, reckons it would take an hour & 20 minutes to get from Saggart to Drumcondra. :eek:

I think I'd rather park!

Are those times accurate?

Yes that'd be about right, maybe a little longer. Nearest stop for Croker would probably be Busaras or Connolly and then it's maybe a 2km walk from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Is there? While the people you describe certainly exist, I don't think anyone has ever used the term Event Junkie to describe them before now. Besides, they already have a name - dickheads.

Wasn't aware of their new name but this phenomenon sounds quite familiar. I'm sure some of them will try to sell their tickets beforehand as soon as they deem it unfashionable to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just checked a journey planner online, reckons it would take an hour & 20 minutes to get from Saggart to Drumcondra. :eek:

I think I'd rather park!

Q-Park Clerys is €13 for 24 hours. Apparently 24 hours is €6 on match days, not sure if the same applies for concerts.

Any clue what time the concert will finish up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't think anyone has ever used the term Event Junkie to describe them before now.

I know for a fact that you are incorrect. Sorry.

Dublin summer gigs are full of them. Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney have all had them over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭bren2001

Q-Park Clerys is €13 for 24 hours.

Any clue what time the concert will finish up?

Has to be over by 11. Fines for going a minute over. A few people mention 10:30 earlier in the thread, its actually 11.

Yes that'd be about right, maybe a little longer. Nearest stop for Croker would probably be Busaras or Connolly and then it's maybe a 2km walk from there.

Thanks. Went ahead and booked Q-Park. Far less spaces than the Clonliffe park so shouldn't take as long to get out. And half an hour should get me back to Saggart, no way I'm packing into a packed Luas for over an hour!

Especially if there are any of those smelly country scummers on board...

;)

bren2001 wrote: »
    Has to be over by 11. Fines for going a minute over. A few people mention 10:30 earlier in the thread, its actually 11.

That's grand. The Q-park is from midnight to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gnashman

rumour of a 6th night on Facebook,,negotiation's on going at the moment...is this a bit 2 much now, would it not be better 2play thomond park or Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

I think I'd rather park!

Kind of, it's 50 minutes by luas from Saggart to Connolly. Then a 10-20 minute walk to the stadium depending on which entrance you are going to.

• Advertisement

No bother.

All sorted now, B&B booked in Saggart for €110 (Saturday and Sunday nights, Q-Park booked for the Sunday all day.

Just need to book some flights somewhere nice for the Monday morning now! 5th wedding anniversary so hoping to head off somewhere for 4-5 nights after the concert.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,545 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gnashman wrote: »
    rumour of a 6th night on Facebook,,negotiation's on going at the moment...is this a bit 2 much now, would it not be better 2play thomond park or Kilkenny

Or Cork :p

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

A V A wrote: »
    and idiots from the country are the worst , worse than dubliners, the come up to dublin and thread it like a sh*tehole and p*ssing ground!!!!

Which is what it is and which is exactly how it should be treated ;):p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

How come all you fans had to que for tickets and not just buy em off the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    chatting during a gig? sure you can barely hear any one :confused:
    Yep, so they usually end up shouting, so even worse.

With lots of big acts many people will go "just to say they saw them", as garth rarely plays it will attract people like this. Its sort of similar to people not visiting scenic places in their own country, since they reckon they will always get the chance to do it anytime they want.

Some will rave about seeing a band, and the next time they come its "I won't bother sure I saw them before", sort of a like a bucket list, crossing them off their "one to see" list.

At springsteen I saw loads of people talk all over the songs, especially slower ones where they can be heard, and ruin it even moreso for people who do know the quiet/slow song. Then they perk up only when born in the usa comes on.

The promoters can be to blame partly too. e.g. when the film hurricane came out it had the bob dylan song in it. He NEVER plays this live, yet in the TV adverts they were playing it, inferring it is likely to be played and other greatest hits, he does play his hits but often very different versions, which many would not recognize at first.. So you had people in the audience roaring out "hurricane" at him. I think similar happened with neil young, the tv ads inferred it would be a greatest hits and he only did 1 or 2 that you would find on a best of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

rubadub wrote: »

With lots of big acts many people will go "just to say they saw them", as garth rarely plays it will attract people like this. Its sort of similar to people not visiting scenic places in their own country, since they reckon they will always get the chance to do it anytime they want.

Some will rave about seeing a band, and the next time they come its "I won't bother sure I saw them before", sort of a like a bucket list, crossing them off their "one to see" list.

At springsteen I saw loads of people talk all over the songs, especially slower ones where they can be heard, and ruin it even moreso for people who do know the quiet/slow song. Then they perk up only when born in the usa comes on.

The promoters can be to blame partly too. e.g. when the film hurricane came out it had the bob dylan song in it. He NEVER plays this live, yet in the TV adverts they were playing it, inferring it is likely to be played and other greatest hits, he does play his hits but often very different versions, which many would not recognize at first.. So you had people in the audience roaring out "hurricane" at him. I think similar happened with neil young, the tv ads inferred it would be a greatest hits and he only did 1 or 2 that you would find on a best of.

I was at blur last year and behind me was some fella in a d4 accent shouting "play song 2" or "something we all know" god I could of punched him in the ovaries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Which is what it is and which is exactly how it should be treated ;):p:D

LOL sure most of us will be up there for 3 days straight, or even 5 days between sleeping in their hotels, spending our money in their city. at least with this gig there won't be screaming and wailing cry baby teenagers running riot. not all of us are idiots from the country.
    How come all you fans had to que for tickets and not just buy em off the Internet?

Because it's fun, i had a great time chatting to people around me when i was queuing. :D
    rubadub wrote: »

ugh, that would be soo annoying. it's on my bucket list sure to get to see garth brooks live, it doesn't matter where he was playing in Ireland i was going, because i've been a fan for 20 years now. i know when he comes back in 2015 i will be going again. if i hear some one "will he play friends in low places or the dance or if tomorrow never comes already, there will be war.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Or Cork :p

heck yeah!!!!!!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

I agreed with your sentiments until this...

apologies for that but 95% of people from the country i have met and dealt with have this attitude , i use to work in retail too and they were the exact same , minus the p*ssing every where :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

apologies for that but 95% of people from the country i have met and dealt with have this attitude , i use to work in retail too and they were the exact same , minus the p*ssing every where :P

But.. its the right attitude.. and gets rid of the 'dublin is amazing' attitude dubs seem to have
    Bruce had at least learned that its a ****hole and showed common sense last year :p

If you don't think there'll be event junkies at these gigs you're being very naive. As I said, if you're standing you can move away but if you're sat beside them they can ruin the night.

lol this happened to me and my brother at a gig before lol he just kept turning to them in the seat beside them and kept screaming the lyrics of the song in ther faces , putting his arm over them shoulder to shoulder and all thins , just being annoying :D funniet thing iv ever seen him do , got to the point where the lad physical pushed him off and everyone around us literally told them to shut the fcuk up them , and explained how annoying you can be without noticing!!!!

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    But.. its the right attitude.. and gets rid of the 'dublin is amazing' attitude dubs seem to have
    Bruce had at least learned that its a ****hole and showed common sense last year :p

its far from amazing but to not know how to respect public in general :rolleyes: is what i think they fail to understand

LOL sure most of us will be up there for 3 days straight, or even 5 days between sleeping in their hotels, spending our money in their city. at least with this gig there won't be screaming and wailing cry baby teenagers running riot. not all of us are idiots from the country.

Because it's fun, i had a great time chatting to people around me when i was queuing. :D

ugh, that would be soo annoying. it's on my bucket list sure to get to see garth brooks live, it doesn't matter where he was playing in Ireland i was going, because i've been a fan for 20 years now. i know when he comes back in 2015 i will be going again. if i hear some one "will he play friends in low places or the dance or if tomorrow never comes already, there will be war.

heck yeah!!!!!!!! :D

spending money in our city lol . . . . . that really made me giggle :D

you're painting us "country" folks under the same brush AVA :( You obviously had a bad experience. but not all of us are like that.

you're painting us "country" folks under the same brush AVA :( You obviously had a bad experience. but not all of us are like that.

your painting yourself :)

your painting yourself :)

how am i painting myself? i don't drink, i certainly would not be p***ing on any ones house. i presume like any garth brook's fan i just want to go up and enjoy my self at the concert and not cause any trouble.

how am i painting myself? i don't drink, i certainly would not be p***ing on any ones house. i presume like any garth brook's fan i just want to go up and enjoy my self at the concert and not cause any trouble.

have a look at your past comments from the last page or 2 , your attitude alone says it all for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

I'm sure you're a model citizen but every gig in this country attracts a % of intoxicated A-holes. The large number at these gigs only means more A-holes.

I could see these gigs being messy enough, seems a lot would be inexperienced gig goers, definitively rougher than 1D as that will mostly be Kids and parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He's been invited to the Galway Races when he's finished playing. On the irish independent website.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/after-croker-ballybrit-garth-brooks-invited-to-galway-races-29985943.html

Thats me sorted for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

from last night:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

That's it. Not everybody will be out to cause havoc.
    Can I ask something please?

How did people get on queueing?

I queued the night before last in Galway. It was a good night and the crowd were lovely. All looking out for each other. One lovely lady passed around tins of roses. Another lady went down the queue in the morning with a bin bag asking for rubbish and collecting it. There was no sh1tting and p1ssing in the streets either. There were public toilets up the road in Eyre Square and we went about minding each others places in the queue. They were a lovely bunch of people and there was no fighting or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement