Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

grimm2005 wrote: »
    As everyone else has said, that's a pretty insane idea. Roll out of bed 15 minutes before they go on sale, keep hitting F5 on your keyboard 2/3 minutes before sale time and you've got your tickets. This has never failed for me, including for huge bands playing the O2 for a single date which is a fraction of the capacity. This is 2 dates in pretty much our largest capacity venue. Just get them online in the morning and save yourself and your brother a lot of hassle and discomfort!

Stupid idea, constantly hitting F5 will almost certainly earn your IP a 10min time out from the ticketbastard server

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

scudzilla wrote: »
    Stupid idea, constantly hitting F5 will almost certainly earn your IP a 10min time out from the ticketbastard server

Has never ever failed me, even for gigs that have sold out in less then a minute, have never had a time out and been doing this for years.

Has never ever failed me, even for gigs that have sold out in less then a minute, have never had a time out and been doing this for years.

hitting it once or twice a few seconds before may work, but you said hitting it constantly for a few minutes, thats just asking for trouble.

No point in refreshing at all until 9 on the dot as hitting F5 will not miraculously make the tickets go on sale early

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Bell1990

Not really the most anticipated gig. He was in retirement until last week. No one knew he was going to come back.

Tbf he announced in the winter he was coming back and I know it was the chat of my house and of a lot of my friends (who are in the 23-30 age bracket) so can imagine a lot of other garth fans are able to say that same. It wasnt a matter of if he comes back, it was when will he come back. I've been waiting for this since 1997 when I was a sad 6 year old when told we didn't get any tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

A couple of people in work have been telling me horror stories about tickets being sold out after eleven or twelve people get to the counter, maybe I'm just being over anxious?

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    hitting it once or twice a few seconds before may work, but you said hitting it constantly for a few minutes, thats just asking for trouble.

No point in refreshing at all until 9 on the dot as hitting F5 will not miraculously make the tickets go on sale early

well I didn't literally mean hammering away at it like a mad man :P Just passively hitting it every time the page loads from about 8:58. Unfortunately you can't rely on them going on sale at the exact time the computers clock hits 9am, sometimes it's 8:59, sometimes 9:01 or 9:02, one occasion I remember it going to about 9:05 before they came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

And would you trust this? Please don't be offended by the way, this has been the most anticipated gig for almost two decades?

So in 20 years a world renowned act hasn't played Ireland??

Bruce Springsteen anyone?

I understand you are a Garth fan but I really think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Queueing is a bad idea, Ticketmaster don't stock tickets for gigs, they just have loads of blank tickets and the tickets are printed as ordered, until sold the tickets remain on Ticketmasters central server. By the time person number 2 in the queue gets to the desk all the tickets could have sold out online.

However I don't think it will even sell out, most of his fans would be either dead or beyond concert going age. On top of that his voice can hardly be ok after 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

A couple of people in work have been telling me horror stories about tickets being sold out after eleven or twelve people get to the counter, maybe I'm just being over anxious?

Yes. Very.

Not really the most anticipated gig. He was in retirement until last week. No one knew he was going to come back.

He promised to come back, and always said he would be back once his youngest daughter graduated from highschool. Also known for a man of principles and sticking to what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

GarIT wrote: »
    Queueing is a bad idea, Ticketmaster don't stock tickets for gigs, they just have loads of blank tickets and the tickets are printed as ordered, until sold the tickets remain on Ticketmasters central server. By the time person number 2 in the queue gets to the desk all the tickets could have sold out online.

However I don't think it will even sell out, most of his fans would be either dead or beyond concert going age. On top of that his voice can hardly be ok after 20 years.

Or emirgrated.

I dreamt a few weeks ago, the before he came to dublin that I went to a garth brooks concert and he did more yapping than singing. Sometimes I can be a bit physic in my dreams. I'll be going about something and then stop and pause and think 'hang on, I've been here before but where' and it would come back to me - in a dream.

I watched his vagas concert during the wkend and that's exactly what he does - more yapping than talking.

Would agree with others that it seems pretty unlikely that it's going to sell out instantly, certainly not warranting a camp out 2 days before. Definitely just being over anxious. If it was a reformed Led Zeppelin playing a single gig at the O2 arena it would be a different story but really I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Or emirgrated.

I dreamt a few weeks ago, the before he came to dublin that I went to a garth brooks concert and he did more yapping than singing. Sometimes I can be a bit physic in my dreams. I'll be going about something and then stop and pause and think 'hang on, I've been here before but where' and it would come back to me - in a dream.

I watched his vagas concert during the wkend and that's exactly what he does - more yapping than talking.

That was the whole idea newbie vegas gig was that it was intimate and you got to know a bit about him and request particular songs and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This is how it happens for most <1hour sell out concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If I had the time I'd create a little animation showing what a bad idea buying from the kiosk is.

It would have the seating chart with a big 100% over it in green. The clock is at 8.59. We see a big queue of people outside the Ticketmaster kiosk stinky from sleeping rough. We see some sort of representation of 10,000 people in their underpants in front of their PCs hungover with a mug of coffee. The clock strikes 9..... 10,000 people press refresh and the available ticket pool would plunge to 50% in 30 seconds. A big red washes over half of the seating chart. Meanwhile in ticketmaster kiosk land the guy calls the first person from the queue... the exchange pleasantries and we do a little DING and Customer #10,001 appears beside the guy. By the time he has completed his transaction (probably 5 mins).. the next guy comes up.. 10,000 other people have pressed refresh in cyberworld.... Ding Customer #20,002. Etc.

It would be an elaborate production, killer soundtrack, very flash.. but you'll have to imagine it because I think I've wasted far too much time already trying to figure a way that might possibly change a bunch of minds of people who don't seem to be listening to what everyone is saying but keep asking.. basically hoping someone will tell them what they are planning on doing is not a terrible idea. Unfortunately reality is working against you there.

The only situation where queuing MIGHT give an advantage is if there are physical tickets preprinted from before the pool opens to the general public online but there is no evidence this will be the case and unless a representative or an employee or otherwise of Ticketmaster says so I think you're taking a major risk with regards getting tickets if you queue. Even at places that have done some sort of preallocation in the past you are counting on the pattern to be repeated and there to be no unforeseen situation like a hardware failure at the outlet or an employee being sick or late (just when is flu season anyway?).

I reckon some people will do it anyway.. some might come back and tell us how they had a great time and got their tickets ( I've said before I reckon there will be SOME tickets left for at least an hour) but ultimately it will have been unnecessary at best and cost you tickets at worst.

Toast wrote: »
    If I had the time I'd create a little animation showing what a bad idea buying from the kiosk is.

It would have the seating chart with a big 100% over it in green. The clock is at 8.59. We see a big queue of people outside the Ticketmaster kiosk stinky from sleeping rough. We see some sort of representation of 10,000 people in their underpants in front of their PCs hungover with a mug of coffee. The clock strikes 9..... 10,000 people press refresh and the available ticket pool would plunge to 50% in 30 seconds. A big red washes over half of the seating chart. Meanwhile in ticketmaster kiosk land the guy calls the first person from the queue... the exchange pleasantries and we do a little DING and Customer #10,001 appears beside the guy. By the time he has completed his transaction (probably 5 mins).. the next guy comes up.. 10,000 other people have pressed refresh in cyberworld.... Ding Customer #20,002. Etc.

It would be an elaborate production, killer soundtrack, very flash.. but you'll have to imagine it because I think I've wasted far too much time already trying to figure a way that might possibly change a bunch of minds of people who don't seem to be listening to what everyone is saying but keep asking.. basically hoping someone will tell them what they are planning on doing is not a terrible idea. Unfortunately reality is working against you there.

The only situation where queuing MIGHT give an advantage is if there are physical tickets preprinted from before the pool opens to the general public online but there is no evidence this will be the case and unless a representative or an employee or otherwise of Ticketmaster says so I think you're taking a major risk with regards getting tickets if you queue. Even at places that have done some sort of preallocation in the past you are counting on the pattern to be repeated and there to be no unforeseen situation like a hardware failure at the outlet or an employee being sick or late (just when is flu season anyway?).

I reckon some people will do it anyway.. some might come back and tell us how they had a great time and got their tickets ( I've said before I reckon there will be SOME tickets left for at least an hour) but ultimately it will have been unnecessary at best and cost you tickets at worst.

Yep, this sounds exactly right, but i guess those that camp out and fail to get tickets would be able to call Joe Duffy ....."We camped out in arctic conditions for 2 nights Joe....2 NIGHTS AND WE DIDN'T GET A TICKET"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Camping out to buy particular seated tickets might work out for you but not for general admission standing tickets.
    If you are buying GA standing then you should be concentrating your effort at being at the Venue early if you want to get near the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Camping out to get your ticket?! Pfft, amateur!

Listen to me, you'll need:

Hi-vis jacket

Warm wooly hat

Boots

Yard brush

Arrive on the street 5mins before your local ticketmaster opens. Keeping your hat pulled down low, begin sweeping the street under the feet of the people in the queue, saying "excuse me, outta the way, mind yerself luv"

Time your arrival at the front of the queue with the opening of the shop door. Dart inside. Purchase ticket.

Anyone argues, hit them with the brush.

Problem solved. You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Toast wrote: »

This makes alot of sense.

I was going to be one of these fools but I think I might stand a better chance online.

Might be better to practice on the ticketmaster website on wednesday instead of queueing.

Most of the time my phone connection is fine. But just sometimes we get bad days. All I need is 5 minutes. But hanging around for an hour and I read someone waited 3 hours online for one direction. If my phone cuts out, even for a second. Im screwed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not only is it madness, it's a bit sad.

I've never failed to get a ticket to a gig when ordering online. You just have to be online and ready when they go on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

As everyone else has said, that's a pretty insane idea. Roll out of bed 15 minutes before they go on sale, keep hitting F5 on your keyboard 2/3 minutes before sale time and you've got your tickets. This has never failed for me, including for huge bands playing the O2 for a single date which is a fraction of the capacity. This is 2 dates in pretty much our largest capacity venue. Just get them online in the morning and save yourself and your brother a lot of hassle and discomfort!

I used to think the same,till 3 of us sitting online could not get tickets for Tiesto in the 02 and sold out almost immediately

Online is not a guarantee of tickets either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Having queued all night for tickets to U2 at Slane and missed out, even though we were in the first 20 in a queue of hundreds, I'd never ever consider it again. Especially as that was 13 years ago and the emphasis on online sales has only increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

raven136 wrote: »
    I used to think the same,till 3 of us sitting online could not get tickets for Tiesto in the 02 and sold out almost immediately

Online is not a guarantee of tickets either

Appartently queueing at an outlet isn't guaranteed either.

It can go either way. Thats what im so worried about.

If half queue at an outlet. Half go online. One half will be dissappointed and one half will be happy.

I think I would rather the comfort of my own bed on thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    The whole "ticket allocation" thing people are spouting is pure shite.

Everyone has access to the same pool of ~160k tickets, and it's first come first served. The TM agents buy tickets faster than people at pc's though.
    Do you work in TM or something? or how do you know this?

From previous threads there were stories of staff coming out and counting people in queues before they went on sale and saying that up to a point they were going to get them. Someone else knew a person working in a TM outlet who talked of some sort of allocation. Soundcellar get actual tickets printed beforehand so are not going through any computer system on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

There was some rubbish here yesterday about smaller outlets not selling and two small TM outlets issued notices that they are not selling. When further questioned about what ticketmaster outlets are these, east galway came as a reply.

There is only two ticketmaster outlets in galway and that's on shop street in galway city and the other is out in Ballinasloe.

I rang Stronges, the ticketmaster outlet in Ballinasloe (east Galway) this morning. They are open Thursday and selling for Garth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you work in TM or something? or how do you know this?

From previous threads there were stories of staff coming out and counting people in queues before they went on sale and saying that up to a point they were going to get them. Someone else knew a person working in a TM outlet who talked of some sort of allocation. Soundcellar get actual tickets printed beforehand so are not going through any computer system on the day.

I work in a TM agent. We print tickets directly, but still have to go through the computer system, and have access to the same pool as everyone else. I don't understand how Soundcellar are getting hard tickets beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I work in a TM agent. We print tickets directly, but still have to go through the computer system, and have access to the same pool as everyone else. I don't understand how Soundcellar are getting hard tickets beforehand.

They might get a small portion, for Bruce limerick agents had 100 ready, this was just due to local gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm not sure where this was stated previously, but I was in Soundcellar on Saturday and he said they wouldn't be selling them at all when I asked was he going to have people queueing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I would never even think of queuing up to buy tickets. I'll be logging on to Ticketmaster at 9am on Thursday morning with a flicker of hope in my eyes. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I don't understand how Soundcellar are getting hard tickets beforehand.

The system of dropping off a bunch of tickets was what used to happen before the online ordering system was active. My understanding was in the past Soundcellar didn't have the ability to get hooked up to the computer system when everyone else did. My guess is they probably can now but their unique setup probably means they've chosen not to upgrade.
    I'm not sure where this was stated previously, but I was in Soundcellar on Saturday and he said they wouldn't be selling them at all

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was still something they did but someone else said it was. They might only get tickets for certain events (probably of the rock/metal variety).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement