Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Comeback Special *ALL 5 SHOWS CANCELLED* READ FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Wow, 375 objections to these concerts. This is gonna cost aiken one way or another! http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-of-objections-lodged-against-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1816633?page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Wow, 375 objections to these concerts. This is gonna cost aiken one way or another! http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-of-objections-lodged-against-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1816633?page=1

Ah stop, when does some one like Garth Brooks play here. Then you have people ready to drag it down. They're using any excuse too as if we're all drunken idiots, using their lawns as toilets (with 80000 people passing by you too), and we're not.

This is the only thing im looking forward to all year.

Just what happens if they get an injunction?

People camped out for days, people are coming from all over the world for this, jobs have been created.

Can they seriously cancel some or all nights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ah stop, when does some one like Garth Brooks play here. Then you have people ready to drag it down. They're using any excuse too as if we're all drunken idiots, using their lawns as toilets (with 80000 people passing by you too), and we're not.

This is the only thing im looking forward to all year.

Just what happens if they get an injunction?

People camped out for days, people are coming from all over the world for this, jobs have been created.

Can they seriously cancel some or all nights ?

Here we go again. Concerts will not be cancelled!!!

dobman88 wrote: »
    Here we go again. Concerts will not be cancelled!!!

Of course not, But I can see there being restrictions on curfew, noise, building hours, increased security and gardai etc...

I just hope croke park and not aiken have to bear any financial brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Of course not, But I can see there being restrictions on curfew, noise, building hours, increased security and gardai etc...

I just hope croke park and not aiken have to bear any financial brunt.

1D ended at
    10:15, could be same for this,
    Extra security already done, 3 companies being used

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    1D ended at
    10:15, could be same for this,
    Extra security already done, 3 companies being used
    Isn't thrre always 3 companies used? Any gig i've been to had sword, event sec and usually like frontline or g4s.

Mr.S wrote: »
    These have always been in place for concerts at Croke Park. Nothing new!

I know, but they haven't always necessarily been adhered to, it's one of the reasons the RA's are annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

not long left now can't wait!! i have no problem with whatever time it finishes at, more time for the pub afterwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

A new twist:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/garth-brooks-concert-promoters-broke-3641940

Furious campaigners have called on gardai to
    prosecute the GAA and Aiken Promotions for
    allegedly promoting the Garth Brooks Croke
    Park concerts illegally. Homeowners who live in the area handed
    letters of complaint over to the Garda
    Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan at midday
    yesterday, asking for criminal proceedings to
    be launched against the top companies. The chairman of the Croke Park Streets
    Committee, a 600-strong residents group, said
    the country superstar’s gigs were promoted
    before the concert licence was given the
    green light. Eamon O’Brien, who has been chairman for
    11 years, said GAA and Aiken have been
    “totally shameless and brazen” in allegedly
    breaking licensing laws.

Mr O’Brien, originally of Co Tipperary, said:
    “They think they are completely above the
    law. These people have taken €24million
    from the public, which is now sitting in their
    bank accounts on the back of an illegally-
    promoted concert.” Mr O’ Brien claimed 14-year-old licensing laws
    say anyone promoting an event without a
    licence “shall be guilty of an offence” which
    can carry a two-year jail term or a €12million
    fine. He added residents were looking at High
    Court action even if criminal proceedings are
    carried out, saying “they have no excuse to
    break the law”. Mr O’Brien said: “It is very clear to us, and it
    would have been very clear to them, that
    they required a licence before they promoted
    an event.” This isn’t the first time the Garth Brooks Croke
    Park gigs – taking place from July 25 to 29 –
    have caused a storm of controversy from
    angry residents. Hundreds of objections
    against a licence for the concerts have been
    submitted to Dublin City Council by residents living near the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

“It is very clear to us, and it
    would have been very clear to them, that
    they required a licence before they promoted
    an event.”

I'm not a fan of Mr Brooks, but this is quite clearly bullsh1t..

Every major gig in this country, including Electric Picnic 2014, is promoted, and tickets sold, 'subject to licence'.

The initial stumbling block was supposed to be the issue of an 'agreement' with the Residents that Croke Park would hold no more than 3 concerts a year - if they are now resorting to action over the sale of tickets before the granting of the licence, then that 'agreement' clearly has no legal standing and the Residents are clutching at straws...

• Advertisement

They're clutching at straws now.

They're getting scared that their 3-gig argument wont work. (Its 3 gigs a year and any more and they need a licence which they have applied for).

Concerts were promoted illegally before getting the licence....thats every concert in the country in that case.

They've spent more time complaining than Garth Brooks will play. Time to get over it boys.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Mr Brooks, but this is quite clearly bullsh1t..

Every major gig in this country, including Electric Picnic 2014, is promoted, and tickets sold, 'subject to licence'.
    They're clutching at straws now.

Thing is, Are they really gonna risk wasting police time if there's not at least some basis for the claim? seems risky if they are
    They're getting scared that their 3-gig argument wont work. (Its 3 gigs a year and any more and they need a licence which they have applied for).
    Link? only thing I've seen is this
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/Documents/crokeparkOneDirection.pdf
    which clerly says No more than 3
    http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/editor/separator.gif
    Concerts were promoted illegally before getting the licence....thats every concert in the country in that case.
    Could be one of those laws where everyone ignored it until someone challenged it, Now it'll be either enforced (unlikely) or amended.
    They've spent more time complaining than Garth Brooks will play. Time to get over it boys.

You realise this has nothing to do with garth right? It's between croke park and the residents. And i suspect if it was u2 or 1d these complaints were about, you wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'd be interested in reading the "14-year-old licensing laws" if anyone manages to find a link before I do. Shame the paper/resident didn't bother to quote a source for the law.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'd be interested in reading the "14-year-old licensing laws" if anyone manages to find a link before I do. Shame the paper/resident didn't bother to quote a source for the law.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0154.html I assume this is it.

EDIT: Oh wait. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/sec0230.html#sec230

You realise this has nothing to do with garth right? It's between croke park and the residents. And i suspect if it was u2 or 1d these complaints were about, you wouldn't care.

Why do they not want the gardai to prosecute them over promoting 1D before the licences being granted. Its a bit hypocrital of them. Its every concert in the country. Good luck to them.

They were being promoted "subject to licence".

They were months complaining about about a 3 gig agreement and all of sudden its the sale of tickets. They dont have a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Thing is, Are they really gonna risk wasting police time if there's not at least some basis for the claim? seems risky if they are

Could be one of those laws where everyone ignored it until someone challenged it, Now it'll be either enforced (unlikely) or amended.

It's hypocritical of the resident groups to pick on the garth brooks concerts in relation to this and then turn a blind eye at other events run in a similiar way like the electric pinic mentioned above. Phoneix park concerts. The marquee down in cork. They don't give a rats ass in relation to this law.

Say for example Croke Park doesn't work out, Aiken would have to turn around and find an alternative venue. A move like this would bang the nail into the coffin and make sure the concerts don't go ahead anywhere.

Why do they not want the gardai to prosecute them over promoting 1D before the licences being granted. Its a bit hypocrital of them. Its every concert in the country. Good luck to them.
    If it was 3 Garth gigs then 5 1d gigs, They would. Plus gigs in the o2, marley, olympia etc... Don't affect them.

Which is illegal
    They were months complaining about about a 3 gig agreement and all of sudden its the sale of tickets. They dont have a leg to stand on.

Both are valid claims which i've provided links to support. Seems like their plan is to tie up Aiken/cp in court

It's hypocritical of the resident groups to pick on the garth brooks concerts in relation to this and then turn a blind eye at other events run in a similiar way like the electric pinic mentioned above. Phoneix park concerts. The marquee down in cork. They don't give a rats ass in relation to this law.

That's up to the local RA's to complain. Is it hypocritical of you to only ring the police when your house is burgled but not the one two streets over?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Which is illegal
    Sorry Hynesie, but this thread has been through this about 10 times already.

EVERY concert in Ireland is promoted "subject to licence". You can't apply for the licence until you have the attendance known, you then add gardai, ambulances, stewards to cater for said attendance, and you put that on your licence application. If the council feel you haven't enough staff, they will reject your licence. It's how it's always worked, and still does.

If the residents want to object to a licence, now is the time to do it. Nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Seems like a bit of bar-room lawyering tbh. The argument pivots on the interpretation of the word 'promote' as used in the law.
    Then again I suppose the lawmakers DID include it in the law for a reason.

As mentioned by someone else it seems to be more about using each and every inconvenience possible to twart the promoters/Croke Park.

Meanwhile the ticket-money sits in someones bank account gathering interest.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Sorry Hynesie, but this thread has been through this about 10 times already.

EVERY concert in Ireland is promoted "subject to licence". You can't apply for the licence until you have the attendance known, you then add gardai, ambulances, stewards to cater for said attendance, and you put that on your licence application. If the council feel you haven't enough staff, they will reject your licence. It's how it's always worked, and still does.

If the residents want to object to a licence, now is the time to do it. Nothing illegal about it.

See, i always thought that as well, But the link i posted above states

(3) Any person who—

(a) organises, promotes, holds or is otherwise materially involved in the organisation of an event to which this section applies, or

(b) is in control of land on which an event to which this section applies is held,

other than under and in accordance with a licence, shall be guilty of an offence.

Seems pretty clear to me, although if anyone with more knowledge than me wants to correct me, i'll gladly rescind my comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I am going to one of the nights and looking forward to it. I also think the residents have every right to complain, the initial agreement was broken. An extra 5 dates is insane, and croke park/Aiken will have to do something for them IMO.

If they're that bothered about the Garth Brooks gigs, someone should remind them about the American sport event in September (i think). Go all out. Its 3 1D and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

See, i always thought that as well, But the link i posted above states

(3) Any person who—

(a) organises, promotes, holds or is otherwise materially involved in the organisation of an event to which this section applies, or

(b) is in control of land on which an event to which this section applies is held,

other than under and in accordance with a licence, shall be guilty of an offence.

Seems pretty clear to me, although if anyone with more knowledge than me wants to correct me, i'll gladly rescind my comments.
    Seems pretty clear alright from that link, but if that's the law then this whole case is a lot more about MCD as a whole rather than just this concert, and if they're guilt of an offence, then every concert in Ireland would be as likely as being cancelled as GB.

If they're that bothered about the Garth Brooks gigs, someone should remind them about the American sport event in September (i think). Go all out. Its 3 1D and thats it.

That's been complained about as well, just isn't getting the media attention.

That's been complained about as well, just isn't getting the media attention.

I'd rather there's no media attention for this. Or maybe I should just stay away from any Garth related news until the week before the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'd rather there's no media attention for this. Or maybe I should just stay away from any Garth related news until the week before the gigs.

I still don't know why you are worried and still talking about this, they won't cancel them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Seems pretty clear alright from that link, but if that's the law then this whole case is a lot more about MCD as a whole rather than just this concert, and if they're guilt of an offence, then every concert in Ireland would be as likely as being cancelled as GB.
    MCD aren't the promoters, Aiken are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Cant wait for this :)

A little disappointed though when i heard from a reliable source that are getting all there equipment and staff and supplies from England instead of using Irish companies!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement