Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gentlemen's essential possessions

• 10-12-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Inspired by a post on the art of manliness website. Which possessions do you think are essential for a gentleman these days?

A decent pen (fountain, naturally)
    A double edged razor (& badger hair brush)
    A good leather wallet (ripper canvas ones are a no-no)
    The knowledge as to how to tie a decent knot in one's tie
    What else ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good quality white shirt.

Timeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Pair of black shoes and a good suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

cson wrote: »
    Good quality white shirt.

Timeless.

Got a custom made white shirt last year (special offer on living social). Damn it looks & feels great.

I'm going to add a decent pocket knife to the list. I have a spyder "bug" on my keyring. Blade is barely an inch long but extremely sharp & sturdy & it come in so much handier than you realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A nice watch has been on my list for a long time. I hate reaching for the phone when asked the time. Maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

God this sounds like something out of the 1930's haha.

All I can think of is a smartphone and a funeral ready suit. :-/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cantdecide wrote: »
    A nice watch has been on my list for a long time. I hate reaching for the phone when asked the time. Maybe it's just me...

It's not. I had mine stolen a few years ago and can't justify the expense of replacing it at the moment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

mahoganay furniture and leather-bound books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

A decent sized HD panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

OU812 wrote: »
    Inspired by a post on the art of manliness website. Which possessions do you think are essential for a gentleman these days?

What else ?

I would tend to agree with the pen, I can't use fountain pens properly due to left handedness unfortunately, but there are nice pens out there.

I rarely clean shave but a trimmers or other apparatus to keep facial hair groomed well is a must. To continue on grooming - a nail clippers, nose trimmers and tweezers (should you need them for eyebrows) are items that I would consider essential.

A nice wallet - absolutely, you use this everyday, taking it out in front of people, try to keep it organized and not raggedy looking.

Around this time of year, I would say a nice gloves and scarf combo, and a good dress/peacoat can go a long way to making a man look well. I'm hoping to get a pair of leather gloves to go with a peacoat I own, rather than having another pair of cotton ones that will get caught on other materials and not provide as much warmth as a good leather pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

py2006 wrote: »
    God this sounds like something out of the 1930's haha.

To be fair, those guys knew how to dress impressively. I silently, mentally, despair seeing a world full of blue jeans.

<List>

A nice sterling silver hip flask. Doesn't have to be too big. Just enough for the odd swig in stressful times

RangeR wrote: »
    To be fair, those guys knew how to dress impressively. I silently, mentally, despair seeing a world full of blue jeans.

<List>

A nice sterling silver hip flask. Doesn't have to be too big. Just enough for the odd swig in stressful times
    At the same time we can't wear suit pants all the time, jeans are essential and it's hard to find a good pair imo

Quite a few of my friends have hip flasks now that you mention it - naggens for grown ups :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    People still use fountain pens? :eek:

a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

A good set of tools!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

A decent pair of cufflinks, to finish off the good suit / white shirt combo!! Spent over €100 (what was I thinking) on a pair for my wedding years ago and still love using them for special occasions.

I'm a laydee but I've always thought that nice links and tiepin finish off a good suit nicely, nothing looks sillier than a tie blown over a shoulder. A really good suit is a nice thing for a man to have, it goes without saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

A big adjustable couch to point at a large screen tv for the footy or a relaxing Sunday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

py2006 wrote: »
    A big adjustable couch to point at a large screen tv for the footy or a relaxing Sunday

With a mini well stocked beer fridge on the side :D

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    With a mini well stocked beer fridge on the side :D
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room - the goal is to one day own an 'L' couch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room

Living the dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

D'Agger wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of a futon & mini fridge in my sitting room - the goal is to one day own an 'L' couch

May I admire your goal and inform you that an 'L' couch is probably the best purchase I have ever made in home furnishings. It's not just an 'L' couch, we specifically bought it because it had plenty of 'Arse room'.

It's fabulous.

RangeR wrote: »
    May I admire your goal and inform you that an 'L' couch is probably the best purchase I have ever made in home furnishings. It's not just an 'L' couch, we specifically bought it because it had plenty of 'Arse room'.

It's fabulous.
    Had to take the futon out for the Christmas tree but it's handy for people calling over and staying

The 'L' couch is to be a reclining one too - I just want one so I can pan out after matches when my body feels like it's been put through a mincer :pac:

Was going to buy one but figured may not be the best purchase while I'm renting with 4 others - will only get wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

First thing that came to mind: nail clippers...to put the 'man' in manicure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

1. Confidence
    2. Intelligence

If you think you have 1&2 then...
    3. Modesty

The rest is just contents on an insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

cronin_j wrote: »
    A good set of tools!

For leaking hondas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 VeryVexed

For me it would be my homemade leather pocket notebook with a mini mechanical pencil attached to it.

Perfect size for my front pocket 4" x 2.5"

I have it devided into 3 sections ; one section records great random ideas that I dont want to forget, books I hear about that i'll read in future, landmark dates of importance to me as they happen, travel plans etc.

The second section is kept for doodlings and problem solving with sketches etc.

The third section is a monthly tally of my 'get out of Dodge fund', which is really adding up and is hidden in cash.

The most important thing with a pocket notebook is to not write anything too personal in it. I would tend to use vague language, double meaning words, simple drawings instead of words or even a code instead of numbers.

I get great pleasure in reviewing my little notebook, beats a smart phone any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I never leave the house without my Beretta 9mm handgun.....

Seriously, a good suit, comfortable pair of black shoes and awareness of ones surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Tweezers
    White cotton handkerchief
    Two headed silver dollar :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

cantdecide wrote: »
    Same. I've been thinking lately about getting a watch for myself. I can't remember when was the last time I had one. Late teens probably.

There are some out there that look really nice and cool, but feck, the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I need to invest in a good suit in the next couple of months. How much would people be paying for such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I need to invest in a good suit in the next couple of months. How much would people be paying for such a thing?

Depends, if your lucky enough to have an off the peg suit fir you well then 300 to 500 is enough to get a good suit. If otoh like most of us you find the otp range to be sized around a mythical creature who bears no resemblance to any human you happen to be.. You need to get a bespoke suit. The fit is more important than anything else, next quality of material and last style. I say last as as long as it's not some collar less hyper fashionable thing suits tend to stay in style for a long time.
    Save up and spent 500 to 1000, you'll get 10 years out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

For me in no particular order:
    A good set of tools
    A double edged razor
    A good pen
    A decent set of cufflinks
    A hip flask
    A mechanical watch
    A good set of shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

A decent tux
    A well cut suit
    A good watch
    A hot wife/girlfriend
    One of those drinks cabinets in the shape of a globe.
    A set of crystal whiskey tumblers.
    A penknife
    A leather wallet
    A cookbook
    Some nice aftershave
    A good coat
    Leather gloves
    The ability to make a nice martini
    A proper flashlight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Decent set of luggage
    Well cut suit
    Formal watch
    Array of belts (make or break an outfit)
    Matching coats (couldn't wear a black coat with a navy shirt)
    And to smell good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

awec wrote: »
    People still use fountain pens? :eek:

Everyday. I hate when I can't find it and have to make a quick note with a ball point. It pales in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Everyday. I hate when I can't find it and have to make a quick note with a ball point. It pales in comparison.

Down with all forms of pen.

For me it has to be a good HB pencil complete with battery operated sharpener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Never got the whole 'pen' thing. But then again, my handwriting is atrocious and a good pen would be wasted on me.

Down with all forms of pen.

battery operated sharpener.

Fail.

A true gentleman would possess a proper manual metal sharpener or a manual desk sharpener.

Never got the whole 'pen' thing. But then again, my handwriting is atrocious and a good pen would be wasted on me.

I am the opposite - my handwriting is very neat and I take care with it.

A good fountain pen would be the perfect present for me. I wouldn't trust myself with a very expensive one though. I always put things into my pocket after using them. Where it goes after that is up to fate and how big my pockets are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Can't remember the last time I saw someone use a good pen. What world are all you guys, sorry Gentlemen living in?

;)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

A good pair of Sun Glasses.

:cool:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Ya can't beat the little pens out of the bookies;)

OK, here's what we have so far.

Good quality white shirt
    Pair of black shoes
    Good suit
    Decent pocket knife
    Good quality watch
    A good smartphone
    Hip flask
    A good set of tools
    Good quality Cuff Links
    Tiepin
    Nail clippers
    Pocket notebook
    White cotton handkerchief
    Good aftershave
    Good coat
    Good gloves
    Good quality luggage
    Selection of good belts
    A good pair of Sun Glasses

Also I'd like to add.

A good tablet computer
    A good pair of earphones/headphones

Apologies for leaving out the big screen TVs, futons and globe drinks cabinets etc, but they are not necessarily Gentlemen's essentials IMO :rolleyes:

I put in the pocket knife, but not sure if its a good idea to carry a knife no matter what its for. I have one in work and I have lots at home.
    Personally I think anybody who carries a knife in public is no gentleman.

Apologies if I missed anything.

:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

scotchy wrote: »
    Also I'd like to add.

A good tablet computer
    A good pair of earphones/headphones

Apologies for leaving out the big screen TVs, futons and globe drinks cabinets etc, but they are not necessarily Gentlemen's essentials IMO :rolleyes:

I put in the pocket knife, but not sure if its a good idea to carry a knife no matter what its for. I have one in work and I have lots at home.
    Personally I think anybody who carries a knife in public is no gentleman.

Apologies if I missed anything.

:)

A tablet is essential? And earphones? Really?

A tablet is essential? And earphones? Really?

Good earphones

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

An open and critical mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The keys of my Ferrari and Lamborghini.

scotchy wrote: »
    Good earphones

I'd say headphones instead of earphones. Earphones can do damage to your hearing if you're careless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cool thread! Here's my tuppence worth :-)

Every man should have the best of one of the following ;
    Suit (Hugo Boss)
    Watch
    Wallet
    Shoes
    Sense of humour
    Scotch

I agree about a decent pen, Parkers are my favourite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement