Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gentlemen's essential possessions

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does thread count affect how warm they are or soft they are or...?

Both I suppose. Imagine the really thiick sheets you get in a hotel compared to the cheapest Penny's set. They wear alot better than the cheaper sets too and don't bauble (is that a word?).

OU812 wrote: »
    1200 thread count on a set I got in NYC ($60 in Macy's sale for 4 pillowcases, King duvet, flat sheet & fitted sheet), should have bought two sets, but they were so heavy !

Amazing comfort, like really really good hotel sheets.

Oh lord I didn't even think about getting sheets when I was there
    I have good thread count ones from debenhams, amazing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OU812 wrote: »
    1200 thread count on a set I got in NYC
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We stocked up on bed linen while in Florida. Egyptian cotton 680 thread, like heaven:D

Show off :mad:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Haven't seen a vinyl player mentioned yet...

You sir are a classy gent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Haven't seen a vinyl player mentioned yet...

I want one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

boobar wrote: »
    Good quality wallet
    Nice pen
    Filofax
    Weekend bag
    Gadgets e.g tablet, smart phone
    Quality camera

Look at you, Mr 80s gentleman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'd imagine quite a few gents on here would appreciate a comfortable bed
    And rightly so. One spends lots of time there, so make it comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Skam

Haven't seen this one yet, but it's something I like to have.. a nice silk tie. Several, in different colors so your tie will never clash!
    Edit: A nice, dressy pair of Oxfords too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

A half dozen bottles of good red. Middleton Rare, cigars and of course, some Champagne for les dammes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

A fedora.....

Srs.

Not Srs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Loire wrote: »
    A half dozen bottles of good red. Middleton Rare, cigars and of course, some Champagne for les dammes

I live in Midleton:cool:

I don't have anything to add to that. I just wanted to talk about myself for a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

• The ability to tie a variety of knots in ones neck tie. Certain suits, ties, and occasions will require different knots so as to look their best.
    • A knowledge of etiquette of different nationalitites, so as to not show disrespect. i.e. the wearing of a white shirt in a cyprian funeral is highly disrespectful.
    • A selection of dress shirts of various colours.
    • A selection of well cut suits of various colours. The suits need not be brand name, once they are cut to fit and of high quality material.
    • A selection of greatcoats in matching colours to some of the suits.
    • A high quality umbrella.
    • Some scarfs of complimenting colours to the greatcoats.
    • The ability to hand write notes free from mispellings and grammatical errors.
    • And most importantly in my opinion, the good character to honour all of ones gentlemens agreements.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

awec wrote: »
    What is this nonsense? Post in a way that others can actually understand.

Is the bold text really necessary?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

awec's posting as a moderator there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

awec's posting as a moderator there.

Since when does that mean you have to post in bold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

HeadPig wrote: »

Mods post in bold when acting as a mod and not in bold when joining in on a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

HeadPig wrote: »

Since when did it start bothering you so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

1, A good pen and notebook, I carry a Fisher Bullet pen and Moleskine notebook with me every place I go.
    2, A good pen knife
    3, A handkerchief
    4, A small umbrella
    5, Leather gloves
    6, At least 1 good suit
    7, A range of dress shirts
    8, A good scarf
    9, A small leather wallet

• Advertisement

After having a gift I put a lot of thought into and went to a lot of effort to get for someone, go both unthanked and unacknowledged, I would add good manners to a gentleman's essentials. Manners really do maketh the man.

Bad manners are very hard to overlook but free and easy to rectify.

Candie wrote: »
    After having a gift I put a lot of thought into and went to a lot of effort to get for someone, go both unthanked and unacknowledged, I would add good manners to a gentleman's essentials. Manners really do maketh the man.

That's pretty crummy. Get the undeserving oaf something completely pointless next time like a loo brush or a box of blank video tapes.

cantdecide wrote: »
    That's pretty crummy. Get the undeserving oaf something completely pointless next time like a loo brush or a box of blank video tapes.

He's a new colleague and I thought he was having trouble settling in and that it might help him feel appreciated and welcome. I won't bother again! :)

He's a new colleague and I thought he was having trouble settling in and that it might help him feel appreciated and welcome. I won't bother again! :)

It was a lovely gesture. I hope it wouldn't put you off doing such a thing in the future.

Is there any way he was just taken aback? Some people are just weird, of course!!

cantdecide wrote: »
    It was a lovely gesture. I hope it wouldn't put you off doing such a thing in the future.

Is there any way he was just taken aback? Some people are just weird, of course!!

No, I think he's just boorish. It's the general opinion, but I thought he might just be a bit aloof. Definitely just a bit weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

Knowledge of the following:

Massaging a woman's g-spot.
    The rear naked choke hold.
    Heimlich maneuver.
    Field strip an AK-47.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

awec wrote: »
    What is this nonsense? Post in a way that others can actually understand.

to be honest I assumed that he was tipping his hat to people (not questioning the mod btw).

back on thread:

A gentleman should look after his physical health these day too. so some sort of sports equipment should be in order.

A good a pair of runners and some fashionable but not garishly coloured training clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Not exclusively a one way street, this one.

cabledude wrote: »
    Not exclusively a one way street, this one.

I didn't suggest it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

A large bank account if he is to meet the requirements of this thread!

A true gentleman considers such things as keeping track of his bank balance as below him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

How has the thread gotten this far without the mention of dueling pistols or swords?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

kieranfitz wrote: »
    A true gentleman considers such things as keeping track of his bank balance as below him.

Hmmmm...I'm going to go with a 'false' on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

D'Agger wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with the pen, I can't use fountain pens properly due to left handedness unfortunately, but there are nice pens out there.

You can get fountain pens w/ left-handed nibs, e.g., LAMY pens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

A brave and gallant codpiece - the chief piece of any gentleman's chattels

Advertisement