Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest shopping centre in the midlands enters receivership

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

The town council well have to make sure they don't have two shopping centres standing still and not been used.

I feel they should of made golden island maybe a 2 or 3 story building. The town really didn't need two centres in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I'm a big fan of both the town centre and golden island also. Hopefully if there is a buyer they will have a new plan for the town centre and take it in a good direction. But I think Church Street needs to be invested in as its looking very run down. I think the one way system/pedestrian system should be brought back in, get rid of the cars off that street.

Lets hope this place sold at auction today and is in the hands of the right investor....
    http://www.allsopspace.ie/auction/lot/5688

Did that restaurant close down

yes, as did the shops below.

tubos wrote: »
    yes, as did the shops below.

I thought it was still open. I know the shops are closed. They have been for a while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What was the restaurant?

The restaurant that was above those shops was a chinese and it was only open for a few months, its closed down a long time now.

On a related note, that newish restaurant on church street, La Cucina Di Angelo's seems to be doing very well.

I really think though that the town has become very dis-jointed and there is no real centre to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Good price, hopefully that will mean the new owner can do something useful with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Wow that is a great deal - Considering the Developers/Owners of Athlone Town Centre had a deal agreed to sell to for €345 Million just when they were opening , The deal fell through and they have just effectively handed back to keys to the bank still owing €200 Million ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Once the rent doesn't go up the centre will keep going, there's no empty units currently (well A-wear is shut down!). What has always confused me though was how the Tommy Hilfiger shop is still there, the price of the gear is unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Once the rent doesn't go up the centre will keep going, there's no empty units currently (well A-wear is shut down!). What has always confused me though was how the Tommy Hilfiger shop is still there, the price of the gear is unreal!!

Always the odd fool who'll pay it. Brown Thomas still has all its doors open in Ireland.

Always the odd fool who'll pay it. Brown Thomas still has all its doors open in Ireland.

True but there's a difference between Grafton street and downtown Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

True but there's a difference between Grafton street and downtown Athlone!

And Shop St Galway, O Connel St Limerick and Patrick St (?) Cork.

I mean theres still enough rich folk with that kinda money to burn. Enough of which live in (or go to) the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

should never, ever have got planning permission

same with Golden Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

nice_guy80 wrote: »

same with Golden Island.

Why is that niceguy?

same with Golden Island.

Why is that niceguy?

golden island was built on a flood plain and there was some very dodgy planning decisions allowing it to be built.
    the logical place to have anything built in Athlone would have been between the main street and the bypass

the centre up the town has very little street frontage, it barely connects with the streets around it, terrible access for cars to the car park, no public toilets in the shopping centre - you've to go into the basement!

golden island was built on a flood plain and there was some very dodgy planning decisions allowing it to be built.
    the logical place to have anything built in Athlone would have been between the main street and the bypass

the centre up the town has very little street frontage, it barely connects with the streets around it, terrible access for cars to the car park, no public toilets in the shopping centre - you've to go into the basement!
    Most of irishtown was formally a flood plain, correct, although it was spared even in the real bad floods a few years back.
    I disagree with you about where you say a shopping centre should have been built. Look at Tullamore who allowed major shops to be built on the outskirts of town. Its bad for a town and drives people away from traditional services and existing retail premises, which are usually family and locally owned. Its hard enough for them to compete with multinationals without taking away their passing trade.
    The toilets as I only discovered myself this week when I was in shopping have been taken out of the centre. Id be curious to know if this is allowed given all the food places and as I understand current law states that if seats are provided for customers to dine at then toilets must also be provided. Hence Takeaways do not have to provide toilets if no sets are provided. The toilets are some distance from the foodhall on the ground floor.

• Advertisement

athlonelad wrote: »
    Most of irishtown was formally a flood plain, correct, although it was spared even in the real bad floods a few years back.
    I disagree with you about where you say a shopping centre should have been built. Look at Tullamore who allowed major shops to be built on the outskirts of town. Its bad for a town and drives people away from traditional services and existing retail premises, which are usually family and locally owned. Its hard enough for them to compete with multinationals without taking away their passing trade.
    The toilets as I only discovered myself this week when I was in shopping have been taken out of the centre. Id be curious to know if this is allowed given all the food places and as I understand current law states that if seats are provided for customers to dine at then toilets must also be provided. Hence Takeaways do not have to provide toilets if no sets are provided. The toilets are some distance from the foodhall on the ground floor.

I remember there being a courtcase about the rezoning of the land for the golden island and illegal payments to facilitate that

I didn't say anything about beside the bypass
    I said between the town and bypass.
    eg where the radisson blue hotel was later built.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

no public toilets in the shopping centre - you've to go into the basement!

There were toilets when it was planned and built, just beyond the Click computer shop, but they later made them into a shop unit, some sort of pound shop, forcing everyone to use the loos in the carpark.

In fairness the toilets are right beside the lifts.

There were toilets when it was planned and built, just beyond the Click computer shop, but they later made them into a shop unit, some sort of pound shop, forcing everyone to use the loos in the carpark.
    I suppose you dont get rental income from toilets!

original planning permission would have been based on toilets being on the concourse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

original planning permission would have been based on toilets being on the concourse

Yes, and they were on the concourse.

Wonder was a change of use filed with the council at all?

You'd wonder alright.
    They are a bit of a trek for someone with a baby to get to changing facilities or elderly with poor mobility

Though nothing would surprise me with that shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

athlonelad wrote: »
    Wonder was a change of use filed with the council at all?

I doubt it! Some chancers around building and changing stuff without planning permission. Them Tullamore lads are awful for it (Texas Tom!, amongst others)

• Advertisement

I doubt it! Some chancers around building and changing stuff without planning permission. Them Tullamore lads are awful for it (Texas Tom!, amongst others)

Thats the biffos for you

Advertisement