Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Longwinded story)Temporary Contract - I do not wish to renew it

Options
  • 10-12-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering can anyone advise me.

I started a job a couple of months ago for a large financial company that the main offices are based in another country.

I was excited about the prospect of it, after being made redundant in a previous job with a similar company so I felt I brought a lot of skills to the role as I did not need much training and was so enthusiastic about meeting new people and starting in a new area.

It has been a disaster from day one. I was interviewed on my first day! (Mistake) - My manager was late in. Barely spoke to me. Ran about the place very thrown together, quite rude and very unprofessional where I was a bit disappointed.
    2nd day (very first meeting with manager) for a conference call with the person who sends my work from over seas. Before the call started my manager told me I now had to lie to this person about my experience.... (I came from a different area but surely they wouldn't hire someone they believed to be incapable of the job?!)
    2nd week I was taking a holiday (planned and agreed before I started job - was told to email that person as advised previously and lie about reasons I was off - For a graduation... an extra diploma in business?!) I emailed - but I only said I was out of office and who would be covering my work.

I have been thrown totally into the deep end from day 1. I was given work no one else on my team does so when it came to asking for help no one was able to guide me exactly which made my first few weeks very difficult to adjust and also as the team work loads were so high and they were under pressure they got frustrated if I was to ask a question.
    I'm the type of person that likes to know what I am doing to be able to push myself.
    I asked my manager on the 2nd day,(the day she wanted me to lie to the person) Do I have a target? How can my productivity / efficiency be measured?
    About 2-3 weeks later she took me into her office looking for my stats?? But yet when I had asked her she told me she didn't have any yet cos my work is new! So if she couldn't tell me what she is looking for, How can I know what she wants me to produce?
    Due to privacy for the company, I am being vague about the type of work.
    The same day my manager brought me in looking for my stats - since she could see I had been working and not slacking, doing a 45 hour week instead of under 40 to ensure I am doing as much work as possible, the conversation turned from my work to my personality, she lay back in her chair throwin hands down saying "me and you haven't really hit it off!!! I enjoy a bit of craic!!"
    I am always polite and courteous to every single person. I can be somewhat reserved until I am comfortable but I advised her I have been trying my best to adjust that my over all perception of the company from day 1 has not been great, From being interviewed day 1, being told to lie - I said I didn't lie to get this job so I don't feel comfortable lying to get myself places"
    This has led to feeling uncomfortable in the work place. A man about 10-15 years older than me making a comment to my manage after she shouted down to ask him something from her in front of team whilst we all worked away on our computers " I didnt lie to get myself here, lying makes me uncomfortable!" the manager said whaaat, to make him repeat and laughed her head off. Maybe I am paranoid but it was couple of days after our conversation in her office, alone. She goes for a fag break every hour, at least! with this guy.

I have never felt so stupid and worthless in a job, going home crying my eyes out. Maybe I have just been lucky but I have had a rotation of managers over the years and no one has ever put down my personality and have always been admired on how professional I am.

This is a long winded brief summary of why I do not want to renew a contact. I have felt inadequate, uncomfortable, feel a bit stupid as though I am not capable and it turned me from being excited about a new career to being stuck doing a job where I have no prospects and I have experience in management level but I don't mind starting from the bottom again but I am better off signing on as I have a long commute, underpaid and have absolutely no job satisfaction after 3 months in a role.

Can anyone advise if this would be a silly idea not renewing contract?
    If you have managed to read this much!

Thank so much for your help/guidance/advice in advance!

Vicky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just find another job, and resign from this one.

Simples.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

You're spending 45 hours a week in what sounds like hell.

Your well being and health are not worth putting up with this cr*p and that manager sounds like a complete idiot.

If you can afford to, then walk away and don't give it a second thought.
    I've been in similar situation before and it's not pleasant.

If their HR dept ask for feedback, simply mention:

The lack of professionalism from day one
    The fact you were asked to lie to someone by a manager about your knowledge and also about holidays.
    When you mentioned it to a manager in confidence, it became a running joke in the office.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    You're
    spending 45 hours a week in what sounds like hell.

Your well being and health are not worth putting up with this cr*p and that manager sounds like a complete idiot.

If you can afford to, then walk away and don't give it a second thought.
    I've been in similar situation before and it's not pleasant.

If their HR dept ask for feedback, simply mention:

The lack of professionalism from day one
    The fact you were asked to lie to someone by a manager about your knowledge and also about holidays.
    When you mentioned it to a manager in confidence, it became a running joke in the office.

Tox

Thank you so much for your reply!

I would love to just leave and never come back..as drastic as that may sound.

Have never felt so inadequate and like a hindrance in a job rather than an asset.

The fact my contract is up at the end of this month...(She is automatically assuming I want it renewed..plus I am the only person doing my work so they need me!) and I also have to work all over Christmas.

Is it possible to just leave a job a week or 2 before contract finishes and be able to sign on? (With the hope of a new Job in late January)

Thanks again!

Welfare will be looking for some sort of document from them saying that there is no further work for you.

Seriously, just because you renew for X months doesn't mean you have to stay for a minute longer than your notice period.

You need to be applying for other jobs - and should have been doing so as soon as you became aware how bad it was.

I have been applying for other jobs but I don't have a guarantee of a new job at the moment and the pay I am on is scraping on minimum wage when you work out what it is over 40 hours never mind . Yes it is simples as surely as another person mentioned, my health and well being are more important and the fact it was a temporary contract (Not a probation) I have the right to not accept another one.

Thank you for your help.

• Advertisement

Yah, you have a right not to accept any job. But you may not have a right to welfare if someone is offering you work and you turn it down.

Yes, this sucks in your situation. But you asked, and it's important to point out that a temp-contract doesn't have to the full term: lots of people have the idea that because they sign a contract for X months, they need to stay out the X months before getting another job. This simply isn't true. You can, and should, leave a temp job as soon as you get a better one.

If the current job is affecting your health, see your GP: they may give you a certificate that will deal with the Welfare issues if you aren't able for accepting the work that is being offered.

MOD-NOTE: I'm going to move this to State Benefits, in the hope that someone there can give you advice about exactly what paperwork Welfare will look for from someone whose's tempoary contract has ended.

Thanks so much!

Really appreciate it :)

Yah, you have a right not to accept any job. But you may not have a right to welfare if someone is offering you work and you turn it down.

Yes, this sucks in your situation. But you asked, and it's important to point out that a temp-contract doesn't have to the full term: lots of people have the idea that because they sign a contract for X months, they need to stay out the X months before getting another job. This simply isn't true. You can, and should, leave a temp job as soon as you get a better one.

If the current job is affecting your health, see your GP: they may give you a certificate that will deal with the Welfare issues if you aren't able for accepting the work that is being offered.

MOD-NOTE: I'm going to move this to State Benefits, in the hope that someone there can give you advice about exactly what paperwork Welfare will look for from someone whose's tempoary contract has ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Been 3 weeks, any news on this situation OP? You're best bet is to get them to not renew it, tell them you want certain changes made or to not bother renewing your contract. I had a similar situation, though the issues were different at work.

When I went to social welfare I just told them my contract had ended on x date, did not go into any more detail, and all I had to show them was the letter that stated the end date of my contract and they granted my jsa. Some sw inspectors might be more strict but the reality is that temps are there to be let go at the drop of a hat and a temp contract not being renewed is hardly unusual. The one I had at my local office was more concerned with the fact that I had the same housemate in my current address as the last one, who is of the opposite sex, so she insinuated we were a co-habiting couple. Even if I would have stayed at the job, my colleagues on the same contract were all let go a month later, so really your contract end date should suffice.

Advertisement