Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas extra pay

Options
  • 10-12-2013 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I have been rostered to work on the 24th and 26th of December, aka Christmas Eve and St Stephens Day.

I usually work on the 24th and 26th of every month due to the consistent roster.

I am a contractor (not PAYE), the company I work for are tight, they always say there is no extra pay for weekends/ bank holidays but surely.. for Christmas???

Does anyone have any advice... I understand that because I am not PAYE employment law doesn't apply to me (when will the Govt do something about the growing trend to use contracts instead of employing people)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

24th is a normal day, you're not entitled to any extra pay anyway.

As a contractor, you invoice the company presumably. Probably a bit late now, but there would have been scope for you to tell the company of your "Stephen's Day rates" and charge higher hourly fees on that day.

At this stage, the best you can do is take time in lieu for the hours worked on 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

yep what seamus said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Thanks for replies,

Invoice is due on 31st dec (I will then be paid in arrears in Jan)....

Maybe I'll just charge time and half for bank hols from now on and see what happens...

after a sole trader is like a plumber, he charges what he likes, and its up to a company/customer to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work & Jobs, possibly the OP could do with some advice about contract management.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Have you worked bank holidays before (& charged accordingly)?

Always charge at double time for out of ordinary hours. You can always discount to time and a half etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Does your contract specify that you have to work Bank/Public holidays if rostered to do so, as a normal day?
    It is the contract that specifies the rates of remuneration. Each job a plumber does is a seperate contract and he can vary the price at will, but only from one sperate contract to the next, not mid-term!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

vector wrote: »

Does anyone have any advice... I understand that because I am not PAYE employment law doesn't apply to me (when will the Govt do something about the growing trend to use contracts instead of employing people)

I may be wrong, but I thought they'd already done something about this. Too many people were forced into contracting during the boom, in order for "employers" to avoid paying PRSI, holiday pay and other benefits.
    My understanding is that if most (maybe all) of your work comes from a single source, the employer can no longer treat you as an outside contractor. You are entitled to, at the very least, a fixed term contract which gives you similar benefits to a permanent employee.

NERA can fill you in, or your local Citizens Information Centre. Or try Revenue. They should be well up on this.

Advertisement