Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd WHV visa question

Options
  • 10-12-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys, I posted a thread on here in January about coming to Australia:
    Click here for Thread

Everyone told me doing Rural work would be the best way to extend my time here to the 2nd year WHV. I have completed 3 months of it and have the employer form filled out all good to go.

Right now it's December, and my Visa expires on the 1st of Feb. I want to lodge my 2nd year WHV while in Australia, so I don't have to leave + re-enter. (Expensive). As stated in my first thread, I'm doing this so I can be together with my girlfriend in person who as of right now I've spent 11 months in person together (we met online). I want to move up to a De-Facto Visa when I can. But looking over the 2nd WHV it says that if you're in a De-Facto relationship you can't be granted a 2nd year WHV?

I'm really confused about this. I would appreciate any insight and help to this situation. I really don't want to have to leave in Feb. I thank anyone in advance for reading this, and replying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Your GF is Aussie I take it ?

This is similar to my situation, lodge the 2nd year WHV. IF you are serious about staying here, then 8 months through the 2nd year, get your act together and get an 820/801 application ready.

Once that is lodged, you are on a bridging visa until granted or refused. During this time, you have the same visa conditions as your original 417 (work etc).

It's a relatively slow route to PR, but if your relationship is solid and you can see it being a permanent development, then go for it.

Beware, you will not be able to leave the country when awaiting the 820/801 decision as you must be on-shore when it is granted if you were on-shore when you applied.

Any dramas, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrstorm

Thank you for the help! When lodging the 2nd year WHV it asks relationship status. Can I put De-Facto and it will still be approved? My girlfriend is Aussie, and I'm serious about being here full time. Again, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

No need to put de-facto at this stage.

When you go through the 801-820 process it will require extensive evidence that you have been in a de-facto relationship for the last 12 months.
    That 12 months can start ticking from the day you apply for this visa and still be adequate.
    I'm relatively certain that they won't review this form when they process the other.

Elligibility criteria : (from form 1150)
    be aged between 18 years and 30 years inclusive (at the time
    you apply);
    • hold a passport from an eligible country, preferably valid for
    at least 6 months;
    • not be accompanied by dependent children;
    • be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is
    granted (except applicants for a second Working Holiday visa,
    who can apply while in Australia – see ‘Second Working
    Holiday visa’ below);
    • not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday
    (subclass 462) visa;
    • not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday
    visa (except applicants for a second Working Holiday visa –
    see ‘Second Working Holiday visa’ below);
    • have sufficient funds (generally AUD5,000);
    • have funds for a return or onward ticket to depart Australia
    (or an actual ticket);
    • meet Australia’s health requirement – depending on the
    country you are from and your intentions in Australia (such
    as entering a hospital, health care area, childcare centre or
    classroom), you may need to undertake a health examination.
    More information is available from www.immi.gov.au/
    visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility.htm; and
    • meet Australia’s character requirement. More information is
    available from www.immi.gov.au/allforms/.
    Note: We recommend that you have health insurance to cover
    your stay in Australia. This can be obtained in your home
    country or in Australia.

I don't see any direct reference to relationship status there, or any limitations on it. Eithere way the 820/801 process will drag you over the coals for proof of relationship status, so I'd get cracking on that now.

Joint bank account
    Shared utility bill
    flights together
    stat decs. by independent persons (can be friends, colleagues that know you both)
    Pictures on holidays etc. together (not considered strong evidence)

That will be the tricky bit.

For the 2nd WHV, they are more concerned with whether you did your regional work and where, rather than who you sleep with.
    Tick Never been married or in a de-facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Dont mention de facto as you haven't got the 12 months living together for that yet. Just get the 2WHV sorted and then apply de facto. You'll stay on WHV until it runs out and go onto the Bridging Visa A until the 820 partner visa is granted/refused. I'm just getting processed for my 820 now after applying in January. Been on birding visa since then. I can email you through the checklist of everything they wanted from me for the visa decision process. just drop me a PM.

Advertisement