Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year QCA Query - How much can I improve it in 4th Year?

• 10-12-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If I finish 3rd Year with a combined QCA of 2.4 (Second Year was disastrous) ,
    what grades would I need to obtain in 4th Year to attain a 2.1 Degree?

My 4th Year is worth 50% (KBS Student). Would I need to reach A2's in everything, all 10 next year to make the 2.1 degree?

Also, lets say my degree worked out as 2.56, or 2.76, is that figure then rounded up or down to the nearest digit?

Thanks in advance for any information. :)

I assume Co-op does not contribute to the QCA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's a simple enough average:

The cutoff for a 2.1 Degree is a QCA of 3.00. To bring a QCA of 2.4 up to that mark requires you to complete 4th year with a QCA of 3.6: (2.4+3.6)/2 = 3.0. This means you need minimum A2 in everything. It's not impossible but you're going to have to work your ass off.

Yes, Co-Op does not contribute to your QCA, it's a pass/fail element.

There is no rounding applied to QCA: it's calculated to 2 decimal places and this is what will appear on your transcript. The cutoffs for the degree awards have a consideration band of 0.1 i.e. if your QCA is within 0.1 of the cutoff you may be considered for the higher award. This will be decided upon by the department grading meeting and depends on stuff like your coursework, interaction with the faculty, etc. The external examiners may also award the higher award if they feel it is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Owen1992

Chimaera wrote: »

The cutoff for a 2.1 Degree is a QCA of 3.00. To bring a QCA of 2.4 up to that mark requires you to complete 4th year with a QCA of 3.6: (2.4+3.6)/2 = 3.0. This means you need minimum A2 in everything. It's not impossible but you're going to have to work your ass off.

Yes, Co-Op does not contribute to your QCA, it's a pass/fail element.

There is no rounding applied to QCA: it's calculated to 2 decimal places and this is what will appear on your transcript. The cutoffs for the degree awards have a consideration band of 0.1 i.e. if your QCA is within 0.1 of the cutoff you may be considered for the higher award. This will be decided upon by the department grading meeting and depends on stuff like your coursework, interaction with the faculty, etc. The external examiners may also award the higher award if they feel it is justified.

Thanks a million you've been most helpful. :) I'm aiming at two 2.8's & two 2.6's this semester for 3rd Year.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to resit one of my upcoming exams that I have for this week which I will more likely fail or scrape a D2. There's no chance of an "I" Grade either I don't think. So I'd need the 2.0 from the C3 in the repeat to maintain any hope of that 2.1 Degree.

Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im in the same situation as you. My QCA going into 4th year was 2.25 so realsitically the best I can hope for is a good 2:2. Going by Chimera's calculation I should come out with 2.7 or so hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Owen1992

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im in the same situation as you. My QCA going into 4th year was 2.25 so realsitically the best I can hope for is a good 2:2. Going by Chimera's calculation I should come out with 2.7 or so hopefully.
    But realistically, I'm wondering for myself included, is a 2.2 even worth spending the last year to achieve? Or are those things ten-a-penny?

I'd despise myself forever if I got multiple A's in 4th year & still only managed to get a 2.2. And what are the chances of me getting into a Post Grad/ Masters with a 2.2? Or does that degree value not matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Owen1992 wrote: »
    But realistically, I'm wondering for myself included, is a 2.2 even worth spending the last year to achieve? Or are those things ten-a-penny?

I'd despise myself forever if I got multiple A's in 4th year & still only managed to get a 2.2. And what are the chances of me getting into a Post Grad/ Masters with a 2.2? Or does that degree value not matter?
    Yes I think it is to be honest. For me anyway, a pass degree would not be worth having so need to aim for minimum 2.2, which I THINK can be achieved with Bs but not certain on that.
    I've already enquired about a masters and your choice will be restricted but some places are open to less than a 2.1

• Advertisement

If you're considering further study, then pursuing the highest possible award and QCA possible is a must. Competition for places is stiff. Doing an excellent FYP is also important, especially if your overall QCA is a little weak. Showing a flair/aptitude for research will pay dividends if you're borderline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is there anywhere to find out the weighting of each year towards your QCA or is it department based? (civil engineering & materials science)

No point asking my course head since he never emailed a student back ever..

Terrible for a 4th year asking this now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A 2:2 will get you into most masters. Universities are more interested in the colour of your money than what's printed in your degree at the moment.

I would imagine a 2:2 is probably the most likely outcome, however never advertise you have a 2:2. Most employers won't ask in my experience if your cv says second class honours

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Owen1992 wrote: »
    If I finish 3rd Year with a combined QCA of 2.4 (Second Year was disastrous) ,
    what grades would I need to obtain in 4th Year to attain a 2.1 Degree?

My 4th Year is worth 50% (KBS Student). Would I need to reach A2's in everything, all 10 next year to make the 2.1 degree?

Also, lets say my degree worked out as 2.56, or 2.76, is that figure then rounded up or down to the nearest digit?

Thanks in advance for any information. :)

I assume Co-op does not contribute to the QCA.

If your final year is still doubly weighted would you still need to get an A2 in everything ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I know officially a 2:1 is a 3.0 but is their not a discretionary period where if you receive 2.95 or over, they will give you the 2:1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1huge1 wrote: »
    I know officially a 2:1 is a 3.0 but is their not a discretionary period where if you receive 2.95 or over, they will give you the 2:1?

2.9 actually.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Student%20Information/Results%20Information/Classification%20of%20Awards%20and%20Discretionary%20Bands

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

I'm worried now after seeing this.My QCA should be around 2.4 by the end of this semester(same as OP terrible 2nd year)
    I thought that with 4th year being worth 50% of my degree i could get it up to a 2.1 with all Bs and an A or 2,but after reading this i'm getting very confused.

To get my QCA up from 2.4 to 2.9 what do i require in two semesters that are worth 50% of my degree?
    Anyone???

Yurt wrote: »
    I'm worried now after seeing this.My QCA should be around 2.4 by the end of this semester(same as OP terrible 2nd year)
    I thought that with 4th year being worth 50% of my degree i could get it up to a 2.1 with all Bs and an A or 2,but after reading this i'm getting very confused.

To get my QCA up from 2.4 to 2.9 what do i require in two semesters that are worth 50% of my degree?
    Anyone???

As I replied to the OP, you're going to need all A grades if you want a 2:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Yurt wrote: »
    Anyone???
    To increase from 2.4 to 2.9 in 4th year, you need a 4th year QCA of 3.40.
    Assuming 10 modules in total, the following would get 3.40:

2 x A1's
    2 x A2's
    4 x B1's
    2 x B2's

(4.0 + 4.0 + 3.6 + 3.6 + 3.2 + 3.2 + 3.2 + 3.2 + 3.0 + 3.0) / 10 = 3.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Chimaera wrote: »

It doesnt have to be minimum A2 in everything, for every A1 you get it will allow them get a B1 in another module.

So it could be all A2's
    or
    3 A1's, 4 A2's and 3 B1's

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron62

Hi,

A friend in accounting sent us all this QCA calculator with the weightings included so you can play around with it to work out grades to see your QCA!

Advertisement