Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to pawn a ring for extra money. Any advice on a "fair" Dublin pawn shop.

Options
  • 10-12-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm broke and I need to buy my son some gifts. I have a diamond engagement ring from an ex, and I need to pawn it. Is there a pawn shop in Dublin anyone knows of that can help me out without totally ripping me off?

Many Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cathlo wrote: »
    I'm broke and I need to buy my son some gifts. I have a diamond engagement ring from an ex, and I need to pawn it. Is there a pawn shop in Dublin anyone knows of that can help me out without totally ripping me off?

I don't know where the proper "pawnbrokers" are in Dublin but I would advise staying away from those "cash for Gold" type shops as they will give you much less than what the ring is worth.

Edit Brereton's on Capel Street is a pawnbrokers As are Carthy Jewellers & pawnbrokers on Marlborough Street and Kearns Jewellers & pawnbrokers on Queen Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus that post made me sad. Christmas really puts undue financial pressure on people :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Jesus that post made me sad. Christmas really puts undue financial pressure on people :mad:

Its a diamond ring from an ex - at least she's able to get a bit of enjoyment from it.

McCarthy's & Breretons as mentioned above are the 2 best. Pawn shops have strict rules they must abide by, so are far far better than the cash for gold outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sandin wrote: »
    Its a diamond ring from an ex - at least she's able to get a bit of enjoyment from it.
    I thought the done thing was to give it back.

Now you might say this thread is not asking for moral judgement, but bear in mind there are actual laws about it

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/legal_implications_of_a_broken_engagement.html
    When two people who are engaged give gifts (including an engagement ring) to each other, there is a presumption that they are given on the condition that the gifts will be returned (if requested to), should the engagement end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I went in with a gold ring that was bought for 300 and was offered 15, you're at nothing going to pawn shops really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I went in with a gold ring that was bought for 300 and was offered 15, you're at nothing going to pawn shops really

means you were ripped off wherever you bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was it a pawn shop (one of the three mentioned above) or a cash converters/cash4gold shop? None of those cash converters places are actual licenced pawnbrokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Cathlo wrote: »

Could I recommend taking the diamond out gently as you will not get near what it is worth put it away for a daughter or to re use in a pendent or something when the economy picks up.
    Cash in the gold then. I found a place on james street who gave more than anywhere else for scrap silver and gold.
    http://www.dublingoldexchange.com/form.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sandin wrote: »
    means you were ripped off wherever you bought it

I didn't buy it myself, it was a friend who asked me to go in with it and see. I ended up giving her 20e for the ring :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought the done thing was to give it back.

Now you might say this thread is not asking for moral judgement, but bear in mind there are actual laws about it

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/legal_implications_of_a_broken_engagement.html

If he broke up with her then he would have broken the contract and she's entitled to keep it. Besides we don't know the ins and outs so should presume she has legit ownership of the ring.

Best of luck finding a good price for it and I hope you can get some nice presents for your son out of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement