Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Liverpool 15th December

Options
  • 10-12-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Heading over for this one. With Gerrard out we have to take advantage and take maximum points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

It looks like Gerrard and Henderson are out. As much as I don't rate Henderson, he seems to be improving over the last couple of weeks.

According to one Liverpool fan, these absentees leave them very short in centre mid - http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/2013/12/10/versatility-test-boss-by-denny_thereds/

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Our midfield should be well in control in this game, the problem is a certain Uruguayan , how do you stop him? .Would it be wise to assign sandro in a marking role.
    Or would he just end up getting sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Reports today that Vertonghen is possibly out until the New Year. Would be a huge blow over the Christmas period if true. Not looking forward to Suarez giving Dawson the run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to admit, whatever my feelings have been on Suarez as a player, he's been an absolute joy to watch this season. Some of the goals he's scored have been brilliant. He'll be very difficult to manage but I don't believe he does as well against strong defences or better teams. Look at who he has scored all his goals against this season;

Sunderland
    Palace
    West Brom
    Fulham
    Everton
    Norwich
    West Ham

Everton is the only 'big' club in there. Now I know he missed games at the start of the season but Utd were the only other big team in there too. He scores lots and lots of goals against inferior opposition. Admittedly lots of really great goals, but still against inferior opposition. I think they'll miss Sturridge more than Gerard to be honest as he enables Suarez. Sturridge is another player I've really enjoyed watching this season, except for that stupid dance he does when he scores!

They also have a very good, well organised defence, so our biggest issue is once again going to be putting the ball into the net. It was nice seeing Townsend on the left against Sunderland, going down the wing and crossing it into the box - more of that but with Soldado in the box and I think we'll have a chance.

It'll be a good close game though and I'd imagine they'll definitely go for it, which should open things up a bit more for us too. Expect goals, and I wouldn't be surprised with another 2 - 2 draw or something similar.

curraghyid wrote: »
    the problem is a certain Uruguayan , how do you stop him?

Just adding to SuperSi's point, just look at the number of goals Suarez has scored away from home.... not many at all.

He's scored 14 goals, three have come away from home. Two of those three were against a terrible Sunderland team. The other was a free-kick against Everton. Now he won't have Sturridge and Gerrard behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Really hard game to call this,I suppose it will come down to which Suarez turns up.The one who's been banging them in for fun or the one one who was anonymous against Hull.They haven't beaten us at home since 2008 which counts for something i suppose.They also haven't won away since Sept 29th,Another good sign.
    Their gonna rely heavily on Suarez for goals,But after him with 14 and Sturridge on 9 they have Gerrard on 3 and they won't be playing so if we can keep the Uruguayan quiet they will find goals hard to come by.On the other hand in recent games we seem to have a goal threat coming from every position bar our strikers with Paulinho,Holtby,Vlad,Sandro,Walker and Dembele (kinda) getting on the scoresheet so if we win the midfield (and i think we will) then we can retain possession like we have been doing,isolate Suarez and take our chances when they come to us then i think we can win this game.Big ifs of course but its do-able
    I'll go for 2-1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

No one has mentioned Coutinho as being a danger, rather surprising?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Sugarlumps wrote: »

1 goal,1 assist this season so no not really a danger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sugarlumps wrote: »

You beat me to it, he's getting back to the form he had before his injury. He'll be a dangerman.

Suarez will give Daws the run around.

To win we will have to outscore Liverpool, and that might take 3 goals which we just don't have in us at the moment.

I'm predicting a score draw or a tight win to liverpool.

^^^
    Think you're right with a score draw prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

A draw wouldn't be the worst result, Coutinho can supply Suarez if Gerrard and Sturridge are out. Really hope we get stuck in to them and don't sit back. Interesting stats re his scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Really need to be beating our rivals for 4th at home, a draw not worth a fcuk

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Really need to be beating our rivals for 4th at home, a draw not worth a fcuk

Me'h, once we don't lose I'm okay with a draw. Sure, a win would be ideal, but were not exactly slaying teams at the moment. And at home we've suffered from limp dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Going to go all positive for this one and say we will win :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Suarez is going to destroy Dawson if he's not given support.

Definitely set Sandro on him. He'll either shut him down completely, or get sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Kiith wrote: »
    Suarez is going to destroy Dawson if he's not given support.

Definitely set Sandro on him. He'll either shut him down completely, or get sent off.

The roma could take suarez no ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Yeah, break out the Vladinator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We've had the upper hand on Liverpool for the last few years except for the stupid game we threw away last season,I think we have the beating of them again,I'm heading over so I want to keep my winning record at the lane intact:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Soldado should start Sunday after getting his hat-trick boost tonight. Would also like to see Holtby start.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Suarez likes to roam around the pitch looking for the ball. I think we need to deploy sandro who's sole responsibility will be to stick by his side and get in his face. Rough him up a bit. Need to cut off all supply to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Before the Fulham i was almost dreading this one...
    Now i cant fricking wait.
    Really think we'll slap these saps again.
    So many of us have Lolpool mates so to me this is my big game of the season so far!!
    Im also loving the comparisons between the 2 clubs this year..
    Spurs are muck and spent £100m and Lolpool are absolutely flying.
    A win on sunday and we go level on points with the flying scousers??
    Cant wait for Facebook meltdown...;)
    Also, having to listen to the excuses " no Stevie or Sturridge" crapoloxgy.
    I reckon after looking at last nights team...
    Lloris.
    Walker...Dawson...Vlad...Rose.
    Sandro.
    Dembele...Paulie..
    Lennon..Soldado...Townsend..

Meaning we'll be "missing"..
    Kaboul,Vertonghen,Eriksen,Holtby,Siggy,Lamela,Defoe,Capoue,and Ade.

Spurs 3-1 Lolpool.

It looks like AVB is playing a less cautious style of play, we've only kept one clean sheet in the last eight games.

On the flip side, we've scored 14 in those 8 games and looked more of an attacking threat. Plus won five and drawn one.

With Liverpool's key absentees we really need to be winning on Sunday.

2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Keep the ball rolling and start soldado, wouldn't start Townsend, I think chadli would be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

curraghyid wrote: »
    Keep the ball rolling and start soldado, wouldn't start Townsend, I think chadli would be the better option.
    Jaysus, i ALWAYS forget about him!!
    Think he will start him on sunday...
    His heat map shows he runs around a lot!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Soldado should start but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

GS11 wrote: »
    Soldado should start but I can't see it happening.

surely he'll start after banging in a hat trick.he'll be brimming with confidence as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

To me ot would be insane to not start soldado.

Hes finally put in a killer performance. what kind of message would it give him if a hat trick means hes still behind Defoe in the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

AVB didn't rest Defoe last night for nothing,I think he'll start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

tippspur wrote: »

Can't see Defoe starting. Soldado is a definite starter. He has too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

tippspur wrote: »

Rest Defoe? Don't you mean he benched Soldado for two games to make him hungry?

Advertisement