Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo design question.

Options
  • 10-12-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I want to get a new tattoo. I know what i want it to represent - a few different concepts but nothing concrete. I've wanted it for about 3 years now but the problem is I am not creative AT ALL. I keep looking up tattoo ideas, tattoo blogs etc but nothing stands out to me.

I'm just wondering, if you can go into a tattoo shop and ask them to design you something. I've some ideas about where I want it, how big, I'd like it greyscale too. Would they just find that annoying? Do you have to have a solid idea before going in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Hi guys,

So I want to get a new tattoo. I know what i want it to represent - a few different concepts but nothing concrete. I've wanted it for about 3 years now but the problem is I am not creative AT ALL. I keep looking up tattoo ideas, tattoo blogs etc but nothing stands out to me.

I'm just wondering, if you can go into a tattoo shop and ask them to design you something. I've some ideas about where I want it, how big, I'd like it greyscale too. Would they just find that annoying? Do you have to have a solid idea before going in?

well if they are good at freehand they would have no bothers designing something for you . My tattooist has never had an issue - my last one was a cover up i asked him to design it himself and he did it freehand and it came out perfect.

You dont have to have a solid idea and im sure they would welcome the chance to design one for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Nah, just go in and have a chat. They can then do a preliminary design and if you don't like it, don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, just find an artist whose work you really like, and go to them for a chat about what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stupid question alert: Do tattoo artists charge for a sketch up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Stupid question alert: Do tattoo artists charge for a sketch up?

You leave a deposit for a sketch, then that should come off the price of your tattoo on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And if you decide not to get the tattoo, you don't get your deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And if you decide not to get the tattoo, you don't get your deposit back?

Exactly, deposit works in a few ways really ensures the person paying it is at least semi serious about getting the piece done and also that there not wasting there time drawing up a sketch for someone who will later flake on them. If you are not happy with there initial sketch they have no problem working on it or re jigging it until both the artist and customer are happy.

But yea OP as other have said find an artist you like and then pop in and have a chat see what yeas can come up with.

If you want recommendations based on what you have in mind and were you are based feel free to ask :).

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Exactly, deposit works in a few ways really ensures the person paying it is at least semi serious about getting the piece done and also that there not wasting there time drawing up a sketch for someone who will later flake on them. If you are not happy with there initial sketch they have no problem working on it or re jigging it until both the artist and customer are happy.

But yea OP as other have said find an artist you like and then pop in and have a chat see what yeas can come up with.

If you want recommendations based on what you have in mind and were you are based feel free to ask :).

Thanks a million!

I was just having a look around there but tbh I'm a bit lost. I love realistic looking tattoos. I'm based in Dublin and I'd love some advise as to who to go and have a chat with!

For realistic I'd look at.....

Remis Cizauskas who is away at the moment but is back in around March but does have a long waiting list.

Michal in Reinkarnated.

Tomash B in Hydraulix Tattoo

Pawel in Skin City

Kris at Inked4life

Marcin Sonski in Zulu Tattoo

Kris Barnas & Attilla in Wildcat

and if your willing to look outside Dublin

Robert Litcan in Dark Raptor

Joe Myler in J.M.D's Body Art

Charles Huurman in Smiley Dogg Tattoo

just a few suggestions for ya to take a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

:D

Thanks so much, Marty!

Jaysus, it's gonna take me ages to research all these guys! Hopefully well worth it though!

• Advertisement

:D

Thanks so much, Marty!

Jaysus, it's gonna take me ages to research all these guys! Hopefully well worth it though!

Also add Marcin Ch from Colourworks to the list :), forgot about him plus probably a few others I'm missing :pac:.

It will take a while but taking the time to find the right artist and style for you is always worth it :). Enjoy researching I always do.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Advertisement