Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle parking in Dublin city

Options
  • 10-12-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I know parking a bicycle is dangerous stuff in Dublin city with the amount of thieves etc but where do people think is the safest?

Drury St car park obviously have a massive bike park, I presume that is safe as you get. Do any of the northside car parks provide parking?

Surely safe parking would be worth a euro or two per hour?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The whole point of having a bicycle, for me, is being able to go to any part of the city quickly and park near my destination. I can't see myself using a designated bike park unless it happens to be right where I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If you're willing to spend money on a car park, then why not just spend the money on a top notch lock? I always have two really good locks on my bike at any given time and in 14 years of locking it in the city centre (among many other locations) I've never had it stolen. Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know parking a bicycle is dangerous stuff in Dublin city with the amount of thieves etc but where do people think is the safest?

Drury St car park obviously have a massive bike park, I presume that is safe as you get. Do any of the northside car parks provide parking?

You would be amazed how badly locked some bikes. I walk around college and there is a ridiculous amount of poorly locked bikes. Like locking it with a cheap chain through the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Thanks guys, I have a Kryptonite Kryptolok series 2 and flex cable - a silver standard secure lock. I just wondering where people thought was the best place to lock up bike. Also wondering was any car parks like Jervis that also take bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Thanks guys, I have a Kryptonite Kryptolok series 2 and flex cable - a silver standard secure lock. I just wondering where people thought was the best place to lock up bike. Also wondering was any car parks like Jervis that also take bikes.

There's supposed to be bike lock-up facilities at the Q-Park on Marlborough St. - but I've not tried it myself - nor Drury St. for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I just wondering where people thought was the best place to lock up bike.
    Next to these guys:
    hfallada wrote: »
    You would be amazed how badly locked some bikes. I walk around college and there is a ridiculous amount of poorly locked bikes. Like locking it with a cheap chain through the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Drury St is good, if you're in that part of the city.

I tend to lock my bike next to taxi ranks, there is an island at college green (next to that foamy fountain), the bike park is right next to the taxi rank, which has taxis at it all day - it certainly provides me with some comfort!

A good lock and good technique is what you need really!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

I've nothing definite on this but two leads.

Square Wheel cycleworks in Temple bar http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/the-square-wheel-17423 used do bike parking. Unsure if they still do.

And a friend was in Build a bike (off Capel St - along luas) recently and said they had a bike park sign up. Not mentioned on their website though! http://buildabike.ie/

This topic was covered before and I see Square Wheel mentioned too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235090

Sorry to be so wooly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Other tip is to make your bike look "ugly"....lots of thieves are effectively magpies who go for the shiniest bikes. As well as a good lock, I covered my frame with black duct tape...from a few feet away, it looks like a cheap generic old bike with no markings.

Advertisement