Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junk Mail

• 10-12-2013 2:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has the amount of junk mail (leaflets and the like) being sent through mailboxes in the city gotten totally out of hand.

One day last week I received over 13 separate leaflets through my door.

Never mind the two free 'newspapers' (read ad's and ad's masquerading as articles) that are clogging up the recycling bin and that you can't opt out of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

A sign on your letterbox, simply stating 'No Junk Mail please' should cut that down a huge amount. Free papers included.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A sign on your letterbox, simply stating 'No Junk Mail please' should cut that down a huge amount. Free papers included.

Does that actually work though? I also rent so not sure if you can get a sign that won't damage the door paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

it does work... i have 'no unaddressed mail, flyers or free papers please' and i get next to none (the odd galway indo but they're handy for lighting the fire!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I've got one of those too and it has stopped a lot of the crap.
    Some people still ignore it but it's much less now
    #savethetrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭topcat77

Don't forget the fact that they don't put the junk mail completely through the letter box which creates a cold draft!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

topcat77 wrote: »
    Don't forget the fact that they don't put the junk mail completely through the letter box which creates a cold draft!!!! :mad:
    & as a security issue, it signifies to the would be ne'er-do-well, that the occupant may not be home :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If you just paid your property tax you wouldn't be getting these notifications to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Just keep a shredder beside the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

mutley18 wrote: »
    Just keep a shredder beside the door.
    for when they stick their fingers through the letter box...that'll teach them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't mind junk mail,sometimes there's genuine bargains to be had.Those "to the householder"envelopes should be banned though they're never interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Does that actually work though? I also rent so not sure if you can get a sign that won't damage the door paint.

it works for an post,these are the only letterboxes we DONT have to post junk mail/flyers.. so stick them on your post box,not window or door,the postbox.

a postie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 QueenieB

Most door-to-door respect the "no junk mail" sign on my letter box but our postman doesn't. There is always some class of junk with every delivery. I was thinking of saving them all up, mark them "Return to Sender" and repost them. However, I think the problem is the individual postman himself; he doesn't want to carry stuff back to post office. Any advice? I can't believe that there is any legal obligation of any kind to accept this junk. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Is it just me or has the amount of junk mail (leaflets and the like) being sent through mailboxes in the city gotten totally out of hand.

Never mind the two free 'newspapers' (read ad's and ad's masquerading as articles) that are clogging up the recycling bin and that you can't opt out of.

How much over 13? And why did you stop counting at 13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does that actually work though?
    An post deliver junk mail, if you have a sign up they are supposed to put you on a register.
    QueenieB wrote: »
    Most door-to-door respect the "no junk mail" sign on my letter box but our postman doesn't.
    Report him so, just email an post and I think they put you on the register.
    jkforde wrote: »
    it does work... i have 'no unaddressed mail, flyers or free papers please'
    Unaddressed mail seems to be the best term, the is little argument about it, you could add a line like "litterers will be prosecuted" just to put the shits up them. The government body Comreg recognise the term "junkmail" to mean "unaddressed mail". -However some intrusive canvassing cunts were posting in the election forum saying they ignore junkmail signs, but that they would obey unaddressed mail signs. "junk" has a negative connotation to them, these self-righteous fuckers were saying "well my stuff is certainly not junk" -when everybody else seemed to accept it is a colloquial term for unaddressed/unsolicited mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Sign on door saying "No Unadressed Mail"

When something comes in ignoring the sign I just post it back to them without a stamp, with a note to pointing out their mistake...

They they then get a letter from Royal Mail looking for the postage + £1 handling charge.

Yes I am a truly petty bastard when it comes to this kind of thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What annoys me is the Sky junk mail that comes in through the letterbox.

Im a customer already.

Treadhead wrote: »
    Sign on door saying "No Unadressed Mail"

When something comes in ignoring the sign I just post it back to them without a stamp, with a note to pointing out their mistake...

They they then get a letter from Royal Mail looking for the postage + £1 handling charge.

which they would just ignore....??? so not really much point in returning it now is there :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes it does help. While I don't have any sign on my letterbox (because I used to advertise that way 30 years ago) I do know for a fact that some small businesses tells the delivery company not to deliver to these homes.

The fast food places won't care but the small local business is trying to create good will, not to annoy the customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This post has been deleted.
    Think you are right, I can't find any info, I could have sworn I read it before. There is a direct marketing place you can complain to I might have been thinking of that

from an posts facebook page.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fIPKdXjSlp8J:www.facebook.com/AnPost%3Ffilter%3D2+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie
    Peter Loftusposted to‎An Post
    June 3
    How can I stop receiving junk mail via my postman please?
    Like · Comment · Share

An Post Hi Peter. We advise putting a 'No Junk Mail' sign on your letterbox.
    June 4 at 4:43am

This was also on facebook before
    I HATE JUNK MAIL!!!
    And we are a lucky household because we get TWO pieces of every junk flyer our Postwoman is delivering. And I now have the privilege of paying the garbage collector to get rid of these unwanted papers.
    So wondering how to stop this junk mail from being delivered to my home, I phoned An Post Customer Service and I was told to put a sign “No Junk Mail” on our door. Okay, I write up a big sign and tape it to my front door. Wonders will never cease!!! I stop receiving junk mail.
    However, over time, the sign becomes tatty, gets wet and is removed from the door. WELL, you guessed it!! The junk mail resumes!!! DOES THE POSTWOMAN THINK I CHANGED MY MIND?!?
    Surely, there has to be a better way of stopping junk mail from being delivered to my home besides keeping an idiot message taped to my front door — which, incidentally, has destroyed the paintwork on the door. Is there any compensation for this?
    Does anybody have any solutions?
    An Post Hi Nancy, we have forwarded your comments to Customer Services who have advised that they are communicating with you on this directly. Thanks.
    Like · Reply · Yesterday at 12:33pm

An Post Hi Nancy, can you send us through your details via Private Message and we will get one of our Customer Service Agents to give you a call? Thanks.
    Like · Reply · October 18 at 5:27pm

And an alleged postman
    LeoB wrote: »
    My take on this (I am a postman) Is An Post dont deliver junk mail its publicity post, a vital stream of revenue for a large employer in the state.

Postmen have been instructed in the past not to deliver items to houses/dwellings that have a "No Junk Mail" sign up unless it is election literature.

You can request An Post not to deliver junk mail to your house.
    However I would say in defense of the Post man that publicity mail is important to them as it is extra money in their pay packet. The sign that works best is An Post items only

I wanted to know about what constitutes a legal leaflet. I was wondering if I could legally leave something in someones house. Can it only go in the letterbox? or could I dump say a bag of garden waste over a politicians side gate with a pizza menu attached or something. i.e. where is the line drawn where it becomes littering.

I heard of people returning bricks via the post, might be an urban myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Jake1 wrote: »
    which they would just ignore....??? so not really much point in returning it now is there :))

You never know... After all they don't get told what the unstamped mail actually is....

Besides it's more about the feeling of petty vengeance - don't you go spoiling that for me! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

mikeym wrote: »
    What annoys me is the Sky junk mail that comes in through the letterbox.

Im a customer already.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/images/SRR-banner-image.jpg/$file/SRR-banner-image.jpg

such hypocrisy

Advertisement