Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission for new build on old cottage

Options
  • 10-12-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've been on the lookout in Co Meath for a site to build a 2600sqft 1.5 storey.
    I am from the area originally but have heard it can still be a nightmare to meet local needs.

Therefore, I have also been keeping an eye open for sites with existing houses on them.
    One has popped up!

Lets say I purchased this house which has a small cottage on it with a 1 acre site.
    It isn't a listed building or anything.
    There are not any house's beside or opposite it, just a small cottage down a road a little.
    Not 100% sure but think the house has an existing well.

Questions:
    1: Would I be correct in saying I will not have to meet local needs if I want to knock it and do a new build?
    2: Would I have to keep some part of the old building? (If yes, how much?)
    3: The old cottage is about 1000sqft, could this present a problem with a 2600sqft build?
    4: Would I avoid having to pay the council services change that must be paid for new builds? (About 15k in Meath I think)
    5: Would I be taking a big chance buying it if I only want to knock it and do a new build?

I'll try to answer any important info I've left out if you ask! :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

rodge123 wrote: »

Questions:
    1: Would I be correct in saying I will not have to meet local needs if I want to knock it and do a new build?
    2: Would I have to keep some part of the old building? (If yes, how much?)
    3: The old cottage is about 1000sqft, could this present a problem with a 2600sqft build?
    4: Would I avoid having to pay the council services change that must be paid for new builds? (About 15k in Meath I think)
    5: Would I be taking a big chance buying it if I only want to knock it and do a new build?
    1. No
    2. Yes, depends they could insist on all or just a wall
    3. Yes, they aren't big on luxury housing if you aren't actually doing local work
    4. Yes a substantial change is consider the same as a new build. The chances are the existing property does not have a proper functioning sceptic tank
    5.Yes

To qualify for local need you need to prove you are dependant on living local and have some direct connection to needing to live there. Is your work somehow dependant on living in Meath in a rural area? You are talking about a big house and sounds like you are looking for a large house in country as a lifestyle choice not a local need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭rodge123

Ray Palmer wrote: »

To qualify for local need you need to prove you are dependant on living local and have some direct connection to needing to live there. Is your work somehow dependant on living in Meath in a rural area? You are talking about a big house and sounds like you are looking for a large house in country as a lifestyle choice not a local need.

We have need for a house, but not a local need for work as you suggested.
    I work in IT in Dublin and work from home quite a bit, would this in any way help the local needs application?
    My partner works in Dublin and would be commuting via train every day.

Additionally - Both my parents still live in the area, one of which has been treated for an anxiety condition recently...this is another reason I'd like to be closer to home to help out when needs be. Would this hold any weight with a local needs application?

As for the big house - We do plan to have kids and reckon a 4 bed is necessary. Admittedly, the 2700sqft is not necessary but it is a personal choice (You generally only get one chance to build your dream house!).

Advertisement