Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Is it still buggy and do they have a decent anti hack now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Been so long since I played this back in the legacy days, had great fun with it. I should check it out to see all the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 andru183

I picked this game up and am turning my old rig into a server for games. Anyone know if you can host your own server for this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

andru183 wrote: »
    I picked this game up and am turning my old rig into a server for games. Anyone know if you can host your own server for this?

Yes. It's fairly easy.

http://playrust.com/dedicated-server/

Check out this sub-reddit for lots of server admin help

https://www.reddit.com/r/playrustadmin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Started playing rust two days ago and every morning I log on and have to rebuild everything. It's beginning to grind on me.

Any tips for getting started quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Danger781 wrote: »
    Started playing rust two days ago and every morning I log on and have to rebuild everything. It's beginning to grind on me.

Any tips for getting started quickly?

Nope, that's the game now. The updates over the past 6 months have made it harder to play alone or with a friend. Unless you're in a group of 4 or more lads, the game is impossible. You'll just get wrecked over and over again.

So the advice would be to find a group to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Or play on a less populated server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The decision to move to the new unity engine was a bad development decision for this game in my honest opinion, over a years worth of development time could have been applied on legacy to make it the game everyone wanted. I'm aware that in its original form it was a hot mess to work on for the dev team but they lost a fair chunk of the player base since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nope, that's the game now. The updates over the past 6 months have made it harder to play alone or with a friend. Unless you're in a group of 4 or more lads, the game is impossible. You'll just get wrecked over and over again.

So the advice would be to find a group to play with.

Unfortunately it's true. Solo play now is impossible. At least in legacy one there were places to hide your base if you solo player, now to so much. You have to have brute force strong Base, which is impossible to do solo.
    That's one of the reasons I play arma 3 exile instead as it's a lot easier to build a Base and keep it running solo or in small group. Plus you got traders and currency that stays after death. So even if you die, you lose **** in you, but if you smart and know little ways, you can make some capital for yourself just to buy gear.
    And as I said before bases are a lot more secure and easier to maintain.

Unfortunately it's true. Solo play now is impossible. At least in legacy one there were places to hide your base if you solo player, now to so much. You have to have brute force strong Base, which is impossible to do solo.
    That's one of the reasons I play arma 3 exile instead as it's a lot easier to build a Base and keep it running solo or in small group. Plus you got traders and currency that stays after death. So even if you die, you lose **** in you, but if you smart and know little ways, you can make some capital for yourself just to buy gear.
    And as I said before bases are a lot more secure and easier to maintain.

Same as myself. I'm now playing exile after a long stint with Rust. For me the game died when legacy died, the numbers say it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

EazyD wrote: »
    Same as myself. I'm now playing exile after a long stint with Rust. For me the game died when legacy died, the numbers say it all.

12th most played game on STEAM, peaking daily at 38,000 people....says it all ?

http://playrust.com/2015-review/ Give that a read...

Player Counts
    We entered 2015 with the reboot in its infancy. We were seeing an average of 6,000 players online, and peaks of 11,000. This was a low point for us, but we had accepted it as an inevitability. We are never going to reach Rust’s initial popularity. Very few games have more active players two years after release than they did on launch. We were hopeful that the player counts would grow at some point, but we would have been happy to just maintain those numbers.

So as we enter 2016 we’re seeing averages of 15,000 and peaks of 29,000. Seeing a two times increase in players over a year is validation that we’re heading in the right direction. This is especially true considering how over-saturated the market has become with games similar to Rust/DayZ. The fact that we can still gain players with all these new guys around makes us very happy.

SeantheMan wrote: »

Don't understand me wrong, I love new rust, they really did it amazing now and there is a lot of content and Base building. It looks amd runs so much better.
    Just the problem is how hard it is for solo or small group. Back in the day on legacy me and MiskyBoyy were wrecking ****. I doubt we could get even near our levels now.

Still great game amd would love to play it again, but as I said, for solo and small exile is just friendlier.

SeantheMan wrote: »

Yeah the numbers have come back up as the updates are being fired out but it's taken a lot of time for that to happen and a lot of the group I used to play with just aren't interested anymore.I'll come back to it no doubt but I'm not the first person to critisize the decision of dumping the game that people loved playing.

Looking forward to the wipe lads? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

DayZ is a lost cause to me, many people have moved on.

But, I'm holding out for Rust because I had great fun with legacy and I respect that the devs admitted they fúcked up when they branched off.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    DayZ is a lost cause to me, many people have moved on.

But, I'm holding out for Rust because I had great fun with legacy and I respect that the devs admitted they fúcked up when they branched off.
    I would put rust and prison architect as a perfect examples of early access done right.

Prison architect for its consistency and no bulletin approach
    Rust for honest developer, who still managed to pull it off, admit mistake and keep bringing on the product to a very high standard.

I have clocked up about 200h in legacy and unfortunately don't play new one for reasons mentioned above,though damn, game is really good now.
    Even in saturated survival market they bring a very damn good and competitive game in this market.
    The legacy thing had to go down and rebuilt, no questions about it, they chose a very rough, but very good option in a long run.

DayZ is right now in a position where rust legacy was, but without popularity. I wonder how long it will take for them to realise that using that arma 2 engine was stupid stupid idea and they will need to scrap it and rebuilt it like rust did. Its funny how moded arma 2 DayZ is still better and how far ahead moded arma 3 exile is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Would any of the old crew be up for trying to get back into Rust on sunday? I got the day off and couldn't think of better way to spend it :)

That said I haven't played the new rust yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

BKtje wrote: »
    Would any of the old crew be up for trying to get back into Rust on sunday? I got the day off and couldn't think of better way to spend it :)

That said I haven't played the new rust yet.

giphy.gif

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Guess that's a no :D

BKtje wrote: »
    Guess that's a no :D

Shadowhearth is flat out playing exile mode on Arma 3 these days. I only downloaded it last night, looks very good. But in terms of anything similar to Rust these days, I try to avoid like the plague. Even Ark on XB1, so many friends playing it but I just don't want to get back into a life sucking game like that. Rust with you guys was the pinnacle of my gaming life. Never again! :pac:

Playing it just for the "lolz" tho could be a bit of fun. I've tried playing it solo a few times just to try it out and hadn't a clue what I was doing each time it's changed that much :eek:

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=ShadowHearth;98338841I wonder how long it will take for them to realise that using that arma 2 engine was stupid stupid idea and they will need to scrap it and rebuilt it like rust did. Its funny how moded arma 2 DayZ is still better and how far ahead moded arma 3 exile is.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, they will never realize the the Engine should have been scrapped. And if they do in a few years, its too late. I firmly believe its why Dean Hall took off like The Road Runner.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Shadowhearth is flat out playing exile mode on Arma 3 these days.

Adding Mods to Arma is a whole lot easier than it used to be too, no adding folders in directories etc. I must give Exile a whirl.

Adding Mods to Arma is a whole lot easier than it used to be too, no adding folders in directories etc. I must give Exile a whirl.

I just installed A3Launcher last night, seems to do the job!

Does anyone from here currently play? Where are ye at now that the Irish server is gone?

Does anyone from here currently play? Where are ye at now that the Irish server is gone?

When I played it was in an Amsterdam server. But the game is still ruined with scripters.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Played the new version up until a couple of months ago. Really need to get into a group to have a chance in the current build of the game. Cannot dedicate enough time myself to the game at the moment. Make sure to stay off official servers as it is best bet of avoiding hackers. Official servers are riddled with them. Rustopia EU or some other community server is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DayZ is right now in a position where rust legacy was, but without popularity. I wonder how long it will take for them to realise that using that arma 2 engine was stupid stupid idea and they will need to scrap it and rebuilt it like rust did. Its funny how moded arma 2 DayZ is still better and how far ahead moded arma 3 exile is.

To be fair DayZ has been spending the last year (or more) rebuilding the engine. The next couple of updates will be adding the new engine modules in and replacing the legacy ones in preparation for Beta this year. The game hasn't been stuck in a limbo but the development has had to somewhat slow down its pace due to many of the resourcing going into the new engine development.

Also to point out, Rust didn't rebuild it's engine. They were always on Unity and just moved from Unity 4 to Unity 5. It only took 2 hours for them to port their assets over and the engine converted any relevant code for them. Which is GREAT news from any development standpoint, but by no means was Rust's move from Legacy any sort of great feat.

I like Rust, but I've had to put it on the back burner due to the regular server wiping, which is weekly or bi-weekly as the new updates come out and also due to Unity's limitation on colliders on a server. Most of the servers have kits that give you 10-20k resources each which IMO defeats the purpose of the entire game. So holding off until the wipes become very long.

Just came across this on FB, brilliant, well worth a watch :D

"The most amazing/heartbreaking betrayal in any online gameplay" 2:41
    https://www.facebook.com/AlltimeGamingtv/videos/vb.783414868451511/830884103704587/?type=2&theater&notif_t=comment_mention

First rule of Rust - DONT TRUST ANYONE!!! EVEN YOUR TEAM MATES!!! THOSE SHHHHNEAKY SHHHHHHNAKES!!!

Advertisement