Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not given P45

Options
  • 10-12-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

I left my previous job at the end of June, and spent a few months travelling, starting August.

At the end of July I still hadn't received my P45, so emailed the HR department and my manager asking them to send it out. Didn't receive a response. It wasn't high on my list of priorities, so I didn't think about it much.

Fast forward a few months to now, and I'm back and STILL haven't received my P45. I emailed HR again about it, who said it must have been lost in the post and said they would send it again. That was six weeks ago, still no sign. When I went to the SW office, they had no record of a P45 having been processed.

Is a previous employer legally obliged to give you a P45? Is there any recourse I can take if they don't send it out? I've chatted to a couple of people who left around the same time as me, and they've had similar difficulties in getting HR to send out P45s and references.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You have a legal right to see the record of your PRSI contributions which is kept by your employer. You also can ask your employer to give you a statement of your PRSI contributions once every 3 months. (Normally this is written as a deduction on your payslip.)

P45: If you are not given a P45 when you leave your job you should first ask your employer for it. If the employer does not supply it you should contact your local tax office. Revenue will contact the employer and obtain your P45 for you. If you have started a new job, Revenue will send you a new tax credit certificate so you will not have to pay emergency tax in your new job. If you have not been given your P45 and you think that your PRSI contributions have not been paid you should inform your local social welfare inspector by contacting your local social welfare office or the Scope section of the Department of Social Protection.

from Citizen's Information

Advertisement