Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI guest players

• 10-12-2013 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Was talking about this in another thread so said id make one on its own. The best way to describe them would be ''guest players'' but how many did play in the LOI in the 70's?

You had quite a few playing with Cork Celtic George Best. Geoff Hurst, Uwe Seeler etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Gordon Banks 'guested' for the junkies around 1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Dixie Dean played a handful of games for Sligo Rovers way back in the 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Trevor Brooking and Noel Cantwell played for Cork along with Best, my dad tells me Terry McDermott did as well but not sure on that one.
    Here's Bestie lining out at the Lodge...

George-Best-1975-1024x819.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ginola playing for Derry

tumblr_mk6i9kHEPI1qjgvyco1_500.jpg

Steve Bruce, also with Derry city, back row, 2nd from lft

22456645.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The league has many fine imports. Some have stayed a little longer.
    Joseph_Ndo__1764919a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ginola playing for Derry

tumblr_mk6i9kHEPI1qjgvyco1_500.jpg

ginola only played in a charity game for a derry city select 11..... i believe it was in aid of omagh after a bomb went off there ....

It was in aid of Omagh, yes.

But isn't this thread about guest players? He guested for us, never signed funnily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Trevor Brooking and Noel Cantwell played for Cork along with Best, my dad tells me Terry McDermott did as well but not sure on that one.

Your dad is correct. Others that come to mind:

Bobby Charlton - Waterford United
    Ray Hankin - Shamrock Rovers
    Andy King (ex Everton) - Waterford United
    Rodney Marsh - Cork Hibs

Just found this decent piece on the Dundalk website: http://www.dundalkfc.com/history/irish-football-time-capsule/superstars-of-the-league-of-ireland/

I now remember Terry Venables and Ian Callaghan but would never have thought of Mick Channon or Alan Sunderland.

One the article doesn't mention is Denis Tueart at Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Peter Lorimer played for UCD

ollaetta wrote: »
    Just found this decent piece on the Dundalk website: http://www.dundalkfc.com/history/irish-football-time-capsule/superstars-of-the-league-of-ireland/

I now remember Terry Venables and Ian Callaghan but would never have thought of Mick Channon or Alan Sunderland.

One the article doesn't mention is Denis Tueart at Derry.

I wouldn't class Tueart as a guest player though, think we need to define what a guest player is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Bobby Tambling played for Cork Celtic.Frank Lampard passed him out this year as Chelsea's all time top scorer.

Tambling was voted in Chelsea's all time greatest 11 in 2005.He still lives in Cork.

Here he is pictured with Lampard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2323464/A-look-Bobby-Tambling-Frank-Lampard-Chelseas-record-scorer.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Dave Bacuzzi - player manager with Cork Hibs and he also managed Home Farm.

He also 'discovered' a one Ronnie Whelan and turned down the chance to sign a lad called Paul McGrath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bacuzzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Bobby Charlton played some games for Waterford United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Didn't Socrates play for UCD ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dave Bacuzzi - player manager with Cork Hibs and he also managed Home Farm.

He also 'discovered' a one Ronnie Whelan and turned down the chance to sign a lad called Paul McGrath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bacuzzi

Dave Bacuzzi wasnt a guest player:confused: He was with them for ages.

There is a difference between imports and guest players. Its like saying Roy Keane was a guest player with Man Utd.

Terry McDermott did play for Cork City - I actually traveled up with him on a train for a game against UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good few played at Shels, trying to remember who - obviously before time. Jimmy Johnstone was one, back in the late 70s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Did anyone ever actually ever see any of them with they played in the LOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sadlier played for Pats few years ago he was rubbish, Rovers fans should know bottom right. He was lethal that day most likely due to the quality service he received from me :D:D:D

1951_115414880366_9203_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dave Bacuzzi wasnt a guest player:confused: He was with them for ages.

There is a difference between imports and guest players. Its like saying Roy Keane was a guest player with Man Utd.

Terry McDermott did play for Cork City - I actually traveled up with him on a train for a game against UCD.
    Quite right on Dave Bacuzzi. Same goes for Bobby Tambling and Dixie Dean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Anyone remember Barry Bridges playing for Pats. Ex Celts, Jimmy Johnstone and Bertie auld of Lisbon Lions fame played a few games for Shels. Unfortunately they spent most of the time in Leeson Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There was the very odd appearance of John Hollins at Cobh Ramblers game in 1989

After being sacked as Chelsea Manager, and 5 years after he last played English League football, he signed for Cobh as a player. But he only stayed for one game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Didn't Socrates play for UCD ;););)

Did he even study here? What's the actual truth when it comes to him and Dublin? Can someone enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Did he even study here? What's the actual truth when it comes to him and Dublin? Can someone enlighten me?

He never set foot in Dublin. But the myth endures.

http://backpagefootball.com/unmasking-the-myth-socrates-and-ucd/30648/
    Socrates then finally came out and delivered the verdict himself, stating that he had actually never been to Dublin, totally disproving the widely-spread myth. So the fact that he’s never actually visited Dublin means he never played football for UCD which, of course, means there’s no truth to the myth.

Good few played at Shels, trying to remember who - obviously before time. Jimmy Johnstone was one, back in the late 70s.

Johnstone's mate from Celtic "Dixie" Deans came over with him and played a handful of games in '77.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

ollaetta wrote: »
    Johnstone's mate from Celtic "Dixie" Deans came over with him and played a handful of games in '77.

The original much more talented Dixie Dean played for Sligo. There is an amazing story about him and his FAI Cup medal.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sligoroverssc/Top100/dixie.htm

Advertisement