Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Post Man

• 10-12-2013 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

How do your various animals react to the post man? Is it just blanket hatred from every canine?

I sometimes drive past the post man in my mothers estate (with Kayla in the boot) when he's out doing his rounds, and she knows who he is, every time, and barks like crazy. Even on the couple of occasions it's been a stand-in posty she couldn't have met before, and even out of context of the post being pushed through the door- he is just out walking from what she can see. It's like she instinctively knows his job :confused:

(it's probably the combination of Hi-Vis vest plus morning- she never barks at cyclists or other walkers with vests later in the day! Clever girl :P )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

She knows his name!

When my parents announce 'Here's Billy!' she barks.

He usually stops for a chat whilst leaning in the kitchen window and she ignores him and snoozes on the couch. But if he stays there too long then she'll growl at him under her breath to remind him it's time he was on his way. I think she gets cold because he has the window open :D

If it's a stand-in then she'll just go bananas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

loves our postpeople.
    she's a Westie, rescue dog, and goes all wriggly when someone, including an post, come in the gate.
    not a bark or growl out of her.
    only thing she'll ever bark at is sudden noises, so halloween was fun.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Our postwoman is a relative of ours, so the dog only loves it when she comes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Both our dogs bark at the postie, but then they bark at everyone. Rusty barks viciously but then goes over for a fuss when he realises he knows him. Tara, well, lets just say we had to put in an external letterbox when we got her. She kills anything put through the letter box!
    She has this patch of darker hair just above her tail which stands on end when she gets scared/angry or aggressive - quite comical really. Jrts really do think they're bigger than they are!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Cats don't mind here anyway. Still lazing around the sofa went post comes.

Usually follow me to the door thinking they're getting fed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Can I ask when the postman hatred normally kicks in? Our guy hasn't so much as raised an eyebrow at the postman, but he's only 7 months old. It may start yet.

It could also be because we get a constant stream of junk mail so people coming to the door is no novelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

2 of our cats run out to see who is intruding on their territory when they here the gate open, once they see the postman they don't care. One of our stand in postmen used to pet them if they were in the front garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

sadie06 wrote: »
    Can I ask when the postman hatred normally kicks in? Our guy hasn't so much as raised an eyebrow at the postman, but he's only 7 months old. It may start yet.

It could also be because we get a constant stream of junk mail so people coming to the door is no novelty.

It seems to kick in past the one year mark, maybe 2 or 3 years old, when the dog starts to feel protective of the home. I think- although I can't remember when mine started.

Kayla thankfully never rips the post up- she gathers it up together and brings in in to us for a treat :p The day she realised if she brought the post in one at a time she'd get more treats was an eye-opener into how clever she could be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog barks when anyone comes to the door especially he post man..when I was working from home a few months ago he sat on my bed looking out the window growling at him the whole time he was on the road BUT on more than one occasion he's passed us when we were on the green around the corner and the dog he was all over him wagging his tail and giving the paw lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

molly loves when anyone comes too the door including the postman as she generally gets a cuddle or at least a pat on the head!

some guard dog she is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My pair love the postman, he was delivering a parcel this morning & they were delighted to see him! My pair pretty much love all visitors though, once I'm there to tell them that 'somebodys coming' & the tails start wagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I drive an ex An Post van, a green Renault Kangoo. I drove the same road for four years in a Focus, not a bother. Since I got the van I am chased from house to house by dogs defending their property. It's not my imagination, neighbours have commented that their dogs react when my van approaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Postman doesn't deliver to our house! When my OH got Nelson the postie said he'd rather not deliver to our house so the post goes to neighbours. Don't think the dog's would be bothered by him, they bark when anyone comes to the house but stop when we acknowledge someone is here.

Advertisement