Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
  • 10-12-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Got a letter in relation to the tv licence today with my name on it saying I have to pay for one in 7 days or further action will be taken.

Ill be moving out within 2-3 weeks due to job loss and moving home which has a tv licence in place and will probably sell my own set to pay some bills.

I've only been living in my current property since September.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Get rid of the TV and tell them you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd recycle it.

Is it in your name or addressed to "The occupant"

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd recycle it.

brembo26 wrote: »
    Got a letter in relation to the tv licence today with my name on it

^^ If he does nothing they will proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

^^ If he does nothing they will proceed.

Yes, but it's very unlikely that they'll do it in 7 days as the letter says.

OP I'd get rid of the TV before you leave though just in case.

omicron wrote: »
    Yes, but it's very unlikely that they'll do it in 7 days as the letter says.

OP I'd get rid of the TV before you leave though just in case.

They have his name, so the process has already begun. If he says nothing to them then the proceedings will continue. All he needs to do is tell them he has no TV and is moving out anyway, it will end there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd recycle it.

its addressed to me alright. answered the door to her about a week ago and explained the situation but sure she couldn't give a damn.

I just don't want a summons issued when i'm not even living here any more.

So much crap happening lately I dont need this.

its addressed to me alright. answered the door to her about a week ago and explained the situation but sure she couldn't give a damn.

I just don't want a summons issued when i'm not even living here any more.

She wont give a damn - you have a tv therefore you need a license. You need to pay your license or get rid of the TV.

I am getting rid of it as I previously said!

I'm looking for info on what to do at the moment or within the next 6 days as it now is? What do I tell them?

I am getting rid of it as I previously said!

I'm looking for info on what to do at the moment or within the next 6 days as it now is? What do I tell them?

Write them a letter back stating you no longer have a TV.

• Advertisement

I've sent an email today and will update here when I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

the tv licence is due from what date to what date in your case? ie do you have one since September...if not then yes you owe the money..

Doesn't say anything about from when too when. Just says the date of when the letter was sent which is 9-12-2013.

The rest just goes on about court proceedings and how ill be fined €1000 as it will be a first offence.

i just did mine today and it says expires on 31-12-13 right in the front middle. So you have one at the moment or you dont?

Its crappy but you have a tv so the bill seems due...

No the 9-12-2013 is just the date they sent the letter.

Its funny how i've only been given a week to sort it even though my whole income wont even pay for it for 2 weeks and thats if I dont buy food or pay any other bills including my rent thats already in arrears.

So even by the time I can afford it I wont be living here. This is my main issue with it :confused:

Im sorry for your situation....but you seem to be avoiding my question...do you currently have (since September) a tv licence..if not then regardless of whether you agree with it, you do owe it.

No the 9-12-2013 is just the date they sent the letter.

Its funny how i've only been given a week to sort it even though my whole income wont even pay for it for 2 weeks and thats if I dont buy food or pay any other bills including my rent thats already in arrears.

So even by the time I can afford it I wont be living here. This is my main issue with it :confused:

You shoudl have had a license all along though, this is all on you.

I didn't avoid it, I've explained what the letter said.

No I don't have one at present and haven't had one since I moved here in September.

Is there a way to cover the 4 months? I don't mind paying that at all.

I wont have a need for a licence when I move home so paying €160 for 4 months I just cant manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Im sorry for your situation....but you seem to be avoiding my question...do you currently have (since September) a tv licence..if not then regardless of whether you agree with it, you do owe it.

But what if they didnt have a tv throughout that period?

I didn't avoid it, I've explained what the letter said.

No I don't have one at present and haven't had one since I moved here in September.

Is there a way to cover the 4 months? I don't mind paying that at all.

I wont have a need for a licence when I move home so paying €160 for 4 months I just cant manage.

You can't pay for just 4 months or get a partial refund unfortunately- if the new place has no license you could move the license there, that's about all.

• Advertisement

But what if they didnt have a tv throughout that period?

The period doesn't matter, 11 months or 1 day, you need a license.

You can't pay for just 4 months or get a partial refund unfortunately- if the new place has no license you could move the license there, that's about all.

Ill be moving back home which already has a licence in place :rolleyes:

Oh I don't know...

Either way I simply cant afford one by the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Oh I don't know...

So your TV will be covered for at least 1 day of the "period" back home?

So your TV will be covered for at least 1 day of the "period" back home?

'My' Tv wont, I'm getting rid of it sure.

Oh I don't know...

Get rid of the tv, have you done that yet?

Oh its happening!

Because of the fact the inspector seen it Ill still have to pay for a full licence apparently?

Oh its happening!

Because of the fact the inspector seen it Ill still have to pay for a full licence apparently?

Ok, if you write to them and tell them you got rid of it and will be moving out in 2 weeks they will probably drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Sure if he is moving home and they don't know his new address how can they catch him?

I'm sure there will be a summons issued and will catch up with me at some stage.

Another thing I might throw in here is that I have a years contract for the broadband with UPC which I wont need either after a week or two. Anyone had any experience cancelling and coming to a deal with them for early cancellation?

Thanks for the input to all btw.

• Advertisement

so basically you dont want to pay any of the responsibilities you took on 3 months ago? I know times are tough Did you not plan ahead at all? They can chase you for early cancellation also...

Advertisement