Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel charity direct debit.

Options
  • 10-12-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I just got bombarded into signing up for a charity direct debit. I felt like I couldn't say no and the person said to sign up for one month and then cancel. I felt like I couldn't say no. So I signed up like a wimp. Now I'm wondering how I would go about cancelling it. It's a lot of money to me and I probably couldn't afford it. How would I go about cancelling it? Can I contact my bank to cancel it or will I have to contact the charity itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Instruct the charity to cancel it. You're under no obligation to keep it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

This link should interest you...........I did that job for two weeks while in between jobs and it was soul destroying!! They are a pain to deal with so best to canel via your bank!! God luck...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515915/The-charity-cold-callers-preying-elderly.html

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Also go to your bank and cancel it in writing with signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It should show up on your online banking as a standing order which you can easily cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

It hasn't yet shown up on my online banking so I'll cancel it on that when it does and I'll go into the bank aswell. I don't particularly want to deal with the charity after my experience with the man at my door. It's actually quite intimidating to have a man put his foot in my doorway to stop me from saying no I'm not interested straightaway. I should have just said no and been firm but I'm fairly useless at that. I think I've learned a hard lesson today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Wellyd wrote: »
    It hasn't yet shown up on my online banking so I'll cancel it on that when it does and I'll go into the bank aswell. I don't particularly want to deal with the charity after my experience with the man at my door. It's actually quite intimidating to have a man put his foot in my doorway to stop me from saying no I'm not interested straightaway. I should have just said no and been firm but I'm fairly useless at that. I think I've learned a hard lesson today.

That's pretty bad, what charity was that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Some payment instructions dont show until after the first payment has been completed.
    I wouldn't be waiting for something to show on your online to be honest.
    I would contact the charity and the bank sooner rather than later if I were you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

you can cancel it before it shows up, you just give the bank a letter authorizing them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Name and shame the intimidators.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

just go in to your bank,

• Advertisement

If it's a direct debit write to the "charity" and ask them to cancel it. Send a copy to your bank.
    If it's a standing order write to the bank and ask them to cancel it.

Next time one of their members approaches you - tell them to go and f*ck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anglo Irish Bank has a better reputation than some Charity organisations at the way it's going with 'top-up' payments.

...which is absolutely irrelevant to the OP's question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Write to the charity immediately, stating that you wish to cancel the direct debit. Write to the bank, instructing them to stop the direct debit. There will possibly be a charge for stopping it, but that will be less than the amount you have signed up for, I presume. Don't wait for it to show up on your account, is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Write to the bank.

That's how I cancelled two of these direct debits after doing them for years.

Just tell the bank to cancel it, give the amount of the debit, the name of the charity as it appears on your account statement, and the last time it was debited. Just instruct them to cancel it.

Print it, and sign it as they require a signature in the bank to cancel it. Post it. Job done.

One of the charities wrote to me querying what happened, I just ignored them.

Obviously this only applies if they take a payment out, then you can move to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Write to the charity immediately, stating that you wish to cancel the direct debit. Write to the bank, instructing them to stop the direct debit. There will possibly be a charge for stopping it, but that will be less than the amount you have signed up for, I presume. Don't wait for it to show up on your account, is my advice.

Ive never been charged for cancelling a direct debit, is this a new thing ?
    What makes you say there is possibly a charge?

There may be a charge if it is presented and returned unpaid by the bank. They should refund the charge though - [once you pre-notified them that you wanted it cancelled].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

1. Inform the bank
    2. Contact the charity in question.

I dont give to charities much but when i do i make sure its not too big an amount and i only give to the franciscan order (eg penny dinners) there all over ireland.They are a trusted group of brothers,i know a lot of working class in dublin that say they have a good following and support by way of donations by the local people.

The monks running the place are not too concerned about their top ups and mercs or whatever they are a frugal living people they live on the bare means to get by,its refreshing to see after all the scandals with charities that broke,and those that are not publishing their top ups etc.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.ie/Contact%20Us/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You cancel a direct debit by informing your bank (preferably in writing).

Lots of information that people should know as a matter of course here:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebits

and for cancelling:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

also useful information which bank staff often don't know:
    You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account

I'd also add.

Watch your account every day [via internet / telephone banking]

If you see the direct debit going through it can be returned unpaid on the day of presentation once you notify the bank.

• Advertisement

It is also as well to remember that even when a dd is cancelled it can be presented again apparently simply by changing a number. Due to the disgraceful lack of supervision of the dd system this practice is far from rare.

dub45 wrote: »
    It is also as well to remember that even when a dd is cancelled it can be presented again apparently simply by changing a number. Due to the disgraceful lack of supervision of the dd system this practice is far from rare.

usually by changing the last digit on the reference number.

Gotta say that the primary blame for that trick lies with the perpetrators [the direct debit originator]

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    usually by changing the last digit on the reference number.

Gotta say that the primary blame for that trick lies with the perpetrators [the direct debit originator]

Its not a "trick" its a deliberate attempt to access the bank account of a person who has specifically withdrawn permission for that account to be accessed.

It is a scandal that there are no consequences for the companies who do this.

..which is moving off into an entire different area, yet again not entirely connected to the OP's simple question [see comment I made above for a hint, folks]

Anyway, OP - you've had about all the practical advice you need from a few of the posters here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement