Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GeForce GT 640m LE

Options
  • 10-12-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Looking for information on this particular graphics card. I'm very interested in an ultrabook that packs this sort of dedicated graphics along with the regular Intel 4000. I know very little about graphics but since I'm in the market for a new laptop, I figure I might as well buy one that can play games.... even if I do rarely play them. My question is what can I expect from this card? It has 1GB Vram btw.

The ultrabook in question is an Acer M5.. it has a dual core ivy bridge i5 3317U processor, 1.7 - 2.6 GHz. It also packs 6GB of RAM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FRiiZY

You should be able to play games like Battlefield 3 on Medium at 40-60fps. It really depends on what you want to play, but BF3 should be a nice example for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

FRiiZY wrote: »
    You should be able to play games like Battlefield 3 on Medium at 40-60fps. It really depends on what you want to play, but BF3 should be a nice example for you. :)

I don't know if that's actually true. It's not a 640M, it's a 640M LE (Light Edition).

This website isn't perfect for benchmarks, but give it a look (Ctrl-F: Battlefield 3):

640M LE: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-LE.72199.0.html

640M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M.71579.0.html

OP, if you want something with decent graphics power, I'd avoid an "LE" edition card. A 640M or 730M would do the job in my opinion.

I have an Acer Aspire M3 with a 730M and I'm happy with its performance considering the (relatively) cheap price tag.

A word of warning, those "U" processors are pretty poor performance-wise. The idea is that they use less power, thus extending your battery life. That said, it should be able to play most games just fine. You may struggle with BF4 online with 64 players though.

6GB of RAM should do you just fine.

If you search around the website above, you'll be able to compare different graphics cards. I found it very helpful when choosing my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, be careful with those ULV cpu's. I have a GT640 and i3 ULV, it's the most stupid match ever, whatever they were thinking, because the ULV bottlenecks the graphics card horrifically. I can play BF4 online, but it spikes CPU wise badly, all over the place with 15-60 fps.

Advertisement