Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Winter Sun with Baby

Options
  • 10-12-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hoping to go to Tenerife or Dubai with 7 month old baby in Jan but terrified of sun and mossies!! looking for advice ......are we mad? what do we need to bring to make life easier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

mac2012 wrote: »
    Hoping to go to Tenerife or Dubai with 7 month old baby in Jan but terrified of sun and mossies!! looking for advice ......are we mad? what do we need to bring to make life easier?

I brought my then 13 month old to tenerife last October, it was great! Hotter then than it would be in January. If I was going again, jan/ feb would be perfect.
    They're easy pleased at that age. Bring sun block, hats, and a parasol if you use a stroller or buggy. I found it too hot to use my sling.

• Administrators Posts: 14,042 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Apparently Aloe Vera keeps the mosquitos away. I got the Vaseline Cumcumber & Aloe Vera body lotion and put it on everyday when I was in Greece - along with suncream! One night I forgot to put it on and woke up the next morning with lumps on my ankles!

I brought a 6 month old to Florida in June! Bring a buggy liner, or Moses basket sheet with holes cut out to line the carseat/buggy. They get VERY sweaty otherwise.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I grew up in a country with very warm summers. Trust me your child will be fine. There is absolutely no reason to be worried about sun or Mosquitos- both are very normal things to probably 85-90 percent of the worlds population!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We took our Son to Lanzarote when he was 6 months and it was fine, and that was peak season.

It's just a case of keeping the parasol on them all the time, making sure they're always creamed up even if in the shade.. and plenty of water.

Milton tablets are great for sterilising and nice and light to carry.

Nestlé seem to be the big baby food supplier in the Canaries.. you'll find a good range of baby meals in any of the decent supermarkets.. but you won't get SMA or Aptamil, so you might want to bring your own tins of formula, unless you don't mind switching brands.

I don't see any reason not to bring babies away on sun holidays tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I brought my sun to Madeira when he was 4 months old. We had the loveliest week together. There's no reason to be concerned about taking your baby away! The weather was hot but we just had sun cream and a hat on him and sat him in his buggy in the shade. We had no issue with insects.

The pool was far too cold but the hotel had a warm indoor pool so we took him swimming loads. There was even a class of locals doing aqua babies one day and they invited us to join in. I really recommend finding somewhere with so etching similar.

Madeira was lovely for a baby. It's very quiet and relaxing but with lots of stuff to do (like a hop on hop off tourist bus and cable car) There were quite a few other families with young babies there. I wouldn't recommend it for older kids at all though. The holidaymakers tended to be older with newlywed sand families with one young baby thrown in.

Oh and we got Aptamil formula etc really easily there as we ran out of what we had brought. We brought sterilising tablets but the hotel had facilities for sterilising too. Otherwise there wasn't anything special we brought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mac2012

Thanks everyone . Much happier now ;) . Happy Christmas !

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

xzanti wrote:
    you won't get SMA or Aptamil, so you might want to bring your own tins of formula, unless you don't mind switching brands.

Of course if you are breastfeeding then that won't be an issue anyway.

I live in a hot country, don't stress about taking a baby to somewhere warm, just keep them hydrated and in the shade as much as possible.

Enjoy your holiday. It will probably be the most relaxing one you have over the next few years, they get harder to "control" as they get older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Yes, it is so much easier if you're breastfeeding. I was in the process of weaning our baby onto bottle so fed him half myself and half with formula. It was great being able to do both depending on where we were/what we were up to.

I hope you got something nice booked anyway. I'd love another holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We went to Tenerife in February a couple of years ago when our son was 13 months. In lots of ways it's much easier with a smaller baby as they're happy to be in a buggy. Our sin was crawling so it was quite hard to entertain him at times.

It wasn't too hot although it was mid to high 20's for a few hours in the afternoon. There were no mossies where we were. I used to fill two sippy cups with water so I'd know how much he'd drank each day. He was on cows milk at that stage so that was easier.

I brought our son to south of France in August when he was 6 months. He was breastfed at the time so that was easy enough but the heat had no affect on him and he didn't get one mossie bite.

Our daughter was 5 months when we went to Italy this summer. It was up to 30oc some days but she was fine. My husband and I got badly bitten but both kids were fine. I bought some mossie cream for kids but we rarely used it. I used to put her baby gro on in the evening if we were eating our dinner outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Btw we totally enjoyed all our holidays with the kids. It's hard work at times and it's a different kind of holiday to the ones we had before as a couple but no less enjoyable. The first one is a bit daunting but after that you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement