Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House renovations?

Options
  • 10-12-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Going to be a bit lazy here just looking for ball part figures in relation to house renovations. Viewing houses and it's the scenario of buy a turn key at a high price or a doer upper at our budget. We have seen one at our budget but needs a few things done as well as cosmetic changes. Just wondering if anyone have a rough idea on price. I havent a clue of the following things. I am based in Dublin

Extension of kitchen with downstairs toilet (electrics, cupboard fittings, plumbing, labour) guessing 25k
    wallpaper stripping - hire? I could do it myself
    ripping up carpets ?? dont think it's a diy job
    double glaze 3 windows (dining room, guest and box bedroom), house we saw is partly glazed 1000? incd fitting & labour
    new fitted wardrobe doors in guest bedroom
    new fusebox guessing 300
    creaky floorboards in main bedroom under carpet dont know what is involved in fixing that.
    painting the house 3 bed semi 1000 sqft - would try and do some myself

Wonder could I get all that done for 30k wishful thinking maybe. I am guessing way more need to check my budget against work that would need to be done. Or stretching the budget with less work. I will try and check a bit more and see if I can get quotes just want to see if anyone would know rough figures for above would help a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

miss choc wrote: »
    Going to be a bit lazy here just looking for ball part figures in relation to house renovations. Viewing houses and it's the scenario of buy a turn key at a high price or a doer upper at our budget. We have seen one at our budget but needs a few things done as well as cosmetic changes. Just wondering if anyone have a rough idea on price. I havent a clue of the following things. I am based in Dublin

Extension of kitchen with downstairs toilet (electrics, cupboard fittings, plumbing, labour) guessing 25k
    wallpaper stripping - hire? I could do it myself
    ripping up carpets ?? dont think it's a diy job
    double glaze 3 windows (dining room, guest and box bedroom), house we saw is partly glazed 1000? incd fitting & labour
    new fitted wardrobe doors in guest bedroom
    new fusebox guessing 300
    creaky floorboards in main bedroom under carpet dont know what is involved in fixing that.
    painting the house 3 bed semi 1000 sqft - would try and do some myself

Wonder could I get all that done for 30k wishful thinking maybe. I am guessing way more need to check my budget against work that would need to be done. Or stretching the budget with less work. I will try and check a bit more and see if I can get quotes just want to see if anyone would know rough figures for above would help a lot.
    Allow 2.5k for windows. If you have 30 you will spend it, likewise with 50.
    What your asking is doable. What size extension where you hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Hmm good question :) Kitchen/dining room is kinda like a galley style 3.838m x 2.713m.
    Dining/family room to left (that we want as a study/office) and sitting room to front.
    Would like to extend the kitchen it will fall within the pp boundaries as just want the kitchen extended with toilet. Will be single storey, new kitchen, tiling, plumbing, lighting appliances, window plus two velux in roof (not a flat one). Downstairs toilet attached. Viewing it again tomorrow will take a measurement
    Something a bit like the following link (image middle bottom of page) minus the windows on the side and just a back door instead of a sliding door.
    http://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/ljhbuidingservices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We took out the carpets in our house just after buying it, it's definitely something you can do yourself with a friend or family member. :) You'll probably need a skip or something to get rid of them though. Stripping the wallpaper is usually easy enough as well. If you also want to buy and fit new flooring and decorate your inside walls with your 30k then I'd say it might be a bit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Advertisement