Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing for Dummies! (US - Ireland)

Options
  • 10-12-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, just wondering if anyone would be as kind as to help me out if possible :)

I've a 40' container full of gym equipment due to arrive at Dublin port on the 27th of December. It's my first time importing on such a scale but I'm clueless on what the next step is and/or if I should/need to seek the assistance of a customs clearance agent? All I have is the bill of laden/lading which was emailed to me by the agent I had been dealing with over in the US.

Also on the subject of VAT & customs, will I be charged on purchase price alone or is it on the combined total of what's been paid for the goods plus their shipping? Or other??!! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

pedronomix wrote: »
    Q

Not much of post there!,

Anyway this is the go to guy on this forum for importing/clearance and the like. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=222187. PM me if you want his direct contact. Details.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _UTG_

Not much of post there!,

Anyway this is the go to guy on this forum for importing/clearance and the like. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=222187. PM me if you want his direct contact. Details.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, I'll check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

_UTG_ wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone would be as kind as to help me out if possible :)

I've a 40' container full of gym equipment due to arrive at Dublin port on the 27th of December. It's my first time importing on such a scale but I'm clueless on what the next step is and/or if I should/need to seek the assistance of a customs clearance agent? All I have is the bill of laden/lading which was emailed to me by the agent I had been dealing with over in the US.

Also on the subject of VAT & customs, will I be charged on purchase price alone or is it on the combined total of what's been paid for the goods plus their shipping? Or other??!! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Hello UTG_

I would be happy to assist you with the importation of your container.

First of all, gym equipment, in chapter 9506 of the Customs Tariff generally attracts an import duty of 2.7%. That is calculated over the cost of the product (purchase price) plus the freight cost.

VAT will apply @ 23% over the combined total of cost + freight + duty.

I will send you a PM with some additional details.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement