Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Primary School Interview

Options
  • 10-12-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks
    I'm going to an interview for the upcoming intake of primary teaching (18 month course) and not really sure what to expect from the interview. I've been getting different feedback from different people. I was wondering if there was anyone who has gone through this process who could advise me on how to prepare what questions I am likely to be asked.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

hi Jammers197 im doing the interview myself next week. Would also love if anyone can give feedback on the interview who has done it in the last few years.
    My Irish is ok, I got a C1 in the LC in June but its not great. Im extremely nervous and panicking now. (Took me 2 years to get this, got a D2 last year)

I work full time so have no experience of working in a school, I tried to volunteer but kept being told by different schools they didn't need more in the classroom as they had SNAs and also placement from colleges.

Im really scared about what questions they could ask :/
    All help is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 becm

Hi guys,

How did ye get on in the interviews? I had one too for Pat's and playing the waiting game now - very nerve racking even though I don't fancy my chances too much! Found the Irish part of the interview ok but I really don't know what to make of the English part...the sooner we find out the better!

I thought the English went ok but the Irish was horrible :( very disappointing, I got so nervous my hands were shaking and I kept saying Tá..... Bhí. I had put a lot of study in and grinds but my nerves got the better of me.

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to know how they are marking though so don't be too down on yourself just yet. :)
    I know from listening to people around me speaking Irish before I went in that I thought everyone's Irish was much better than mine but it's hard to know!

When do you think we will find out? I didn't think to ask the day of it - too flustered after the English! I think usually the turn-around is very fast but it doesn't feel very fast now when you're waiting on it!

thanks, ah sure iv only myself to blame. Not much I can do, I tried to calm down but just one of those things.

I'll give you a laugh though, my friend did the interview and in the English they said "well we're nearly finished and she said "GREAT", I couldn't stop laughing when she told me can you imagine ;)

I was told around the 6th Jan we'd hear.

• Advertisement

It's hard when you're in the situation though - ya never know what might happen!

Haha, I don't blame her, that's how I felt with it too! Funny though - I bet they will remember her :)

Ok cool, I guess that's not too much more waiting. I was hoping we would find out by that week alright but I thought it would be very quick. Going to be checking my emails and watching the postman like a mad thing now!!

Yeah me too, well fingers crossed ;)

Hope it goes well for you

Thanks and you too - fingers and toes crossed at this stage! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sonshine

Hi folks! I did the interview in December too, I thought Irish was just ok. Thought they'd ask more general questions like family etc but I think I answered most and managed to understand them! The English went well I thought but it's just so hard to know what they're looking for. I keep thinking did I say all I had to say etc but sure it really is just a waiting game!
    Oh god jan 6th?! I'm dying to get the letter but dreading it at the same time :-/ not getting my hopes up as I know there's so few spaces! Does anyone know the figures actually for each colleges candidate allowance??

I put the number of places from last year in another post :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87601532

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was speaking with someone the day of the interview who said that apparently (for Pat's anyways) it's about a one in four/five chance based on the numbers who applied. :eek:

Yeah theres definitely a lot of interest, I really hope I get it! Good luck too ;)

Good luck to everyone.

Guys would ye mind letting know when ye get word? I'm fairly cracking up with the waiting - and I don't know if everyone gets the news, whether good or bad, the same day...I just don't want to be waiting until this time next week and thinking it's a possibility if it's not!

Thanks for that shellita! Typical that I picked the lowest chance first with froebel but it's the one I feel appeals to me the most! I'll let you know either way :-) good luck everyone fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is holding up ok, I think I'm cracking up, checking my emails every few minutes even though I know it's too early!

ha im in work all week so too busy to think about it ;)

I am trying to be positive, I answered all their questions and talked in both interviews if its not enough then I'll try again, but really want it !

Haha I'm in work too and even that can't make me stop thinking about it!

Have you looked at Hibernia if you don't? I have but I don't know that the structure of it would suit me. Was thinking of the UK too as I know someone doing it there....all so up in the air til I find out about this though - ah!!!

I looked into the UK about 3 years ago and then was looking at college and hibernia but decided I want college

Yeah I'm the same re: Hibernia. Might give the UK a try though I know it's not ideal.

Good luck anyways (I'm going to try and forget about it for a while...)

;)

I think it's by post we find out not email, that's just going on what people who did the course in the past have told me! This is going to be the longest weekend ever :-( I'm going to apply to Hibernia but UK isn't an option for me unfortunately! It's such a weird feeling this waiting....nervous, excited and dread all rolled into one! Ughhhh!

• Advertisement

Has the postman brought news for anyone yet this morning?! Longest weekend of my life!

Haha! Same! Nope mine doesn't tend to arrive till nearly noon :-( I'm wondering now though will it only be today that they're posting them out, most people are only back in work today :-/

Yeah I thought that too....that it might be some day this week. The waiting is killing me, I need to know at this stage because I can't let myself think about it either way - ahhhhh!!!

Pats will contact us by email tomorrow, my friend just rang them

Thanks Shellita for that - I had emailed them but they said they didn't know...

:eek:

I know I'm the same everything is all up in the air until I know the outcome. Stress!

Post came.....no letter :,-(

Sonshine wrote: »
    Post came.....no letter :,-(

Ugh so annoying!! But I was onto them this morning and they said that they are aiming to get the letters out this week...so we will know by email first, and potentially by the log on page first too cause that seems to be down at the minute which could mean it's being updated?! Sorry I'm being such a speculator but I really, really want it and really want to know now so if I don't I can start making alternative plans!!

I wonder if that's only for those that applied with pats as no1? I put froebel down first :-(

• Advertisement

I did too Sonshine, I feel sick thinking about having to apply again if I don't get a place.

I really fell apart in the Irish :( but I did talk when they let me!

I heard it was 4/5 ppl interviewed for every place being offered.

Advertisement