Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi decision for Athy

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Cork Skate wrote: »
    Jebus, that is bad, real small time mentality. There more business the business the town can draw in the better it will be for everyone. Short sighted.

True its border line evil for such an under employed developed town, lets lose 50 to 100 guaranteed jobs just because the arrival of these shops ''may'' cause the loss of 6 jobs. madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

I contacted Aldi regarding the Athy store,
    They hope to have the premises Open for business in Summer 2015.

woo hoo.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    I contacted Aldi regarding the Athy store,
    They hope to have the premises Open for business in Summer 2015.

woo hoo.

They usually throw them up,Why the wait....I assume the pea factory contains asbestos or something. :pac:

The Supervalu opposite the post office in Athy is closing for good.
    It will close its doors at 6pm on monday for good.

I never ever shop there but thats a shame about the jobs. Fair play to perry's though they have done a good job staying open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Pocoyo wrote: »
    I never ever shop there but thats a shame about the jobs. Fair play to perry's though they have done a good job staying open.

I'd nearly have preferred Supervalu to stay open to be honest, they have a better range than Perrys. Perrys always strikes me as a shop from the 80's. No choice, just the bare essentials.

I'd nearly have preferred Supervalu to stay open to be honest, they have a better range than Perrys. Perrys always strikes me as a shop from the 80's. No choice, just the bare essentials.

Hold on a minute now...perrys is amazeballs. ;)

Next time your in have a good look at the freezer section,Oh and heres a tip there is a brand of fish fingers call xsell you get like 30 for 2e try them they are like fresh cod out of the chippy,pure flakey fish in batter,best quality fish fingers i have ever had.

Buy anything from that range that company buys excess production from youngs/birds eye etc and sells it on very cheap.

Next time your in have a good look at the freezer section,Oh and heres a tip there is a brand of fish fingers call xsell you get like 30 for 2e try them they are like fresh cod out of the chippy,pure flakey fish in batter,best quality fish fingers i have ever had.

Buy anything from that range that company buys excess production from youngs/birds eye etc and sells it on very cheap.

Well I'll just have to go check it out now so !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Aengus O'Snodaigh would love it so :D

Athy people are any of you aware of the existence of a snooker hall or arcade that also contains a table tennis table?

• Advertisement

RGDATA,
    appealed again, in relation to the size, the location, the fact that it will cause traffic, also the road layout, also the bats, and that the site should be for neighbourhood use, and its too boxy.

Aldi
    have also appealed against condition 26 the amount of car parking spaces, 41 traffic signals, 42 the traffic junction and layout.

decision to be made I believe in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its amazing how concerned people become about bats when there's a chance they might have to cut their profit margins in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Athy people are any of you aware of the existence of a snooker hall or arcade that also contains a table tennis table?

Only one that I know of is in Carlow, next to Dunnes Stores, across from the Dome. Has Table Tennis, Snooker and Pool.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Its amazing how concerned people become about bats when there's a chance they might have to cut their profit margins in this country...

Ridiculous in the extreme being honest. Bats, in all fairness they are clutching at straws if that's what they are coming out with. Can people counter that objection? There has to be something the other 98% of people in the town who want it can do?

Can people counter that objection?
    12. Can I make my views known to the Board without appealing?
    Where an appeal has already been made, any person other than a party to the appeal can become an “observer” and make submissions or observations on the appeal. A copy of the appeal can be seen at the planning authority’s office. The time limit for such submissions or observations is- (a) four weeks beginning on the day of receipt of the appeal by the Board (or the last appeal where more than one is made) or, (b) in a case where an Environmental Impact Statement has been requested and received by the Board, four weeks beginning on the date of publication of notice of same or, (c) where the Board requested the applicant to publish a further site or newspaper notice, four weeks beginning on the date of publication of same. So, in the case of (a) above, if an appeal is received on Wednesday 2nd of a month, the last day for receipt of submissions or observations on the appeal by an “observer” is Tuesday 29th (not Wednesday 30th) of the same month. The Board’s website has a calendar facility to assist in calculating the last day for making a submission / observation.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm

By my calculations (and I may very well be wrong) the last date for submissions is 17th July 2014

brian_t wrote: »
    http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm

By my calculations (and I may very well be wrong) the last date for submissions is 17th July 2014

So can we see if there are objections in this time round? Obviously there needs to be an objection in to be able to appeal against something. Or can we just appeal expressing the need for the development?

So can we see if there are objections in this time round? Obviously there needs to be an objection in to be able to appeal against something. Or can we just appeal expressing the need for the development?

Go to http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/

search for file number - 13300025

Click on the 'Documents' tab

You can then read the 'Appeal Details' at the bottom of the list of documents.

Those are the appeal details that An Bord Pleanála are acting upon.

The An Bord Pleanala page for this case is here http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243512.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Only appeal is from RGDATA (who appeal every aldi/lidl application) and Martin McEvoy who is the promoter of the supermarket site on the Kilkenny side of the town.

Hi guys it seems we are not the only ones disgusted by this a facebook page has been started!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bringing-New-Business-To-Athy/731364280262787?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

Hi guys it seems we are not the only ones disgusted by this a facebook page has been started!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bringing-New-Business-To-Athy/731364280262787?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

Absolutely love this, need to spread the word around though and get people liking and more importantly get active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Perry's supermarket is closing in one week. ;( I loved that little place they adapted the best they could of with the funds available to them....shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Perry's supermarket is closing in one week. ;( I loved that little place they adapted the best they could of with the funds available to them....shame!!

No way, was a great little shop always had some good deals - that's the new improved Petits appears to be soaking up a lot of the business now place is always packed

Pablod wrote: »
    No way, was a great little shop always had some good deals - that's the new improved Petits appears to be soaking up a lot of the business now place is always packed

Agreed while pettits deserves its dues its getting out of hand with its prices,I simply cant afford to buy decent meat there,I go to the butchers across from perrys.

I will really miss perrys never did a full weeks shop there but it was handy for some things and it stocked brands that i thought were defunct years ago i really feel sorry for the staff too great bunch. will miss my weekly wonder around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I asked a member of staff in Perry's, he says it's only a rumour

I asked a member of staff in Perry's, he says it's only a rumour

Same here,I was delighted it was nonsense.

Lidl Decision, made on 31/7/14
    ref 13/300011

it looks like it has been granted again, with some conditions removed.
    so lets hope they will start to make a move and the rebuild soon.

Lidl Decision, made on 31/7/14
    ref 13/300011

it looks like it has been granted again, with some conditions removed.
    so lets hope they will start to make a move and the rebuild soon.

It would be good if Tesco or Aldi were built before this actually happens. Unlikely though at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-warns-against-out-of-town-store-outlets-1.1898543

“Our planners have to look seriously at the effect of putting these large supermarkets on the edge of towns,” she said. “They certainly have done damage. Can we undo that? There are still some villages and towns that don’t have them, so we should protect what is there. Our local development plans should protect the high street.”

Have these people seen the Athy high street recently? I find it frightening walking up the high street in the middle of the day. O'Connell Street at midnight is more welcoming.

Here is another interesting article in today's Irish Times - We Need A Marshall Plan for Rural Ireland:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/we-need-a-marshall-plan-for-rural-ireland-1.1898263

• Advertisement

Looks like both Aldi and Tesco decisions delayed until mid November.
    nothing strange here, decisions do get delayed depending on if information is missing or being waited on,
    its not stopping some people going hysterical on facemuck.

in other news, supposedly a new pound shop / euro shop is opening beside Xtra Vision.

also looks like Dealz is coming to Athy, there is a store manager job opportunity up online for Athy Dealz.

Advertisement