Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi decision for Athy

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Didn't think there was enough traffic to warrant the two 2 euro shops, always thought one of them was bound to close but surprised at news of a Dealz opening. Surely if it does, it'll be the end of the other two.

With a bit of luck the Aldi gets the go ahead for the old peas factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I'd say Dealz is probably replacing one of the current stores as the baronessa shop is too small.

But in many cases a new entrant increase the business for the others (some retailers never understand this and try to block additional retailers).

The more variety in the town, the more people will shop local. They'll still go elsewhere, but nowhere near as often.

If/when Athy have an Aldi & medium size Tesco (aka Kildare Town), other business in the town would see a lift fairly quickly. The addition of Dealz too, would mean Athy being attractive for grocery shopping - then some of those shoppers will por into Shaws, have a look in the jewellers, have lunch in a cafe etc and once they get into a routine, you see the benefits fairly quickly in new jobs, new retailers, upgrade shopfronts etc..

Not denying that happens delahuntv but I think it's just a Tesco express that's supposed to be coming. They are usually not as good as they are more of a convenience store rather than a supermarket. Usually more expensive and a smaller range of stock. We do need an Aldi. I myself will shop more in the town with just the addition of an Aldi.

delahuntv wrote: »
    I'd say Dealz is probably replacing one of the current stores as the baronessa shop is too small.

Id say it could be going in the old perrys shop that would be the rights size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Yawns wrote: »
    Not denying that happens delahuntv but I think it's just a Tesco express that's supposed to be coming. They are usually not as good as they are more of a convenience store rather than a supermarket. Usually more expensive and a smaller range of stock. We do need an Aldi. I myself will shop more in the town with just the addition of an Aldi.

its bigger than an express, its about 200 meters smaller than Carlow Tesco.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Dealz are (supposedly) opening in the old Super Valu.

rameire wrote: »
    its bigger than an express, its about 200 meters smaller than Carlow Tesco.

+1 for that, check the planning application to confirm size. I doubt a Tesco Express would have parking for 200 odd cars!

Oooh that's interesting!

I could have sworn it was an express going in. Now that is really great to hear. Just hope they get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Anybody see the new shop opened this week, Rockfrocks, beside the off licence near the courthouse? Its a clothes boutique. The town is looking up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Decision on aldi due tomorrow according to facebook page with Tesco by end of month, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Decision on aldi due tomorrow according to facebook page with Tesco by end of month, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

If it doesn't go through then I'll boycott those businesses that objected, and all of theirs stores in other towns as well. I know I'm only one but I'll gladly do it.

Aldi is Approved.

Can it be appealed again? God I hope that's it now and it can't get done quick enough. Myself and I am sure many others won't need to be driving to Carlow or Portlaoise to do some shopping which in turn means the smaller shops will likely get more of a visit.

Yawns wrote: »
    Can it be appealed again? God I hope that's it now and it can't get done quick enough. Myself and I am sure many others won't need to be driving to Carlow or Portlaoise to do some shopping which in turn means the smaller shops will likely get more of a visit.

Short answer is no - technically someone can take a high court action, but that is very very costly and even then they would have to have a phenomenal reason to succeed.

Dunnes are doing that regarding the extension of The Square in Tallaght - but its against conditions rather than the permission itself.

sweet. thx mate.

Link to An Bord Pleanala decision. Very relieved to see that the bats will be looked after:P

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243521.htm

Was the last appeal rejected??

I dont get why every ones so sure about it this time?

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Was the last appeal rejected??

I dont get why every ones so sure about it this time?

An Bord Pleanala are the final appeal that anyone can take - once they have given the green light work can start immediately.

There is no further anyone can take it unless they can find a very serious legal error in the findings (very very very rare).

Where you may be mixing it up is that the person with the permission could change their mind and want a different size building - then they simply reapply as a totally new project. Sometimes someone who gets permission for one detached house may try to get new permission for 2 semi detached houses but considering Aldi do their planning very well, they won;t be wanting to change anything and could star work on the site today if they wished.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    Where you may be mixing it up is that the person with the permission could change their mind and want a different size building - then they simply reapply as a totally new project. Sometimes someone who gets permission for one detached house may try to get new permission for 2 semi detached houses but considering Aldi do their planning very well, they won;t be wanting to change anything and could star work on the site today if they wished.

They will also know its best to build the first plan, and look for anything afterwards.

Anyone know what is happening to the Dominican church in Athy? It would be great if it could be turned into a theatre/cinema/community centre.

says in the article:
    It is not clear if this will result in these churches having to close.

However a local cinema would be a nice addition to the town, but would it be profitable.

the "Tesco" has been approved Planning permission.

Nice. ANyone know the planning number for the Tesco one?

I see Dealz has the old Super Value unit, great big unit there for them and they have the signage done. They shouldn't be long about opening to the public. 4 discount stores now with the new one just opened beside Xtra-Vision. Nice to see shops opening at last rather than closing down.

13300018 tesco plan

Thx, I had a wrong number completly for it and couldn't find it. I hear Ulster Bank is closing their branch in Athy. Even tho I only seemed to have trouble when dealing with them, it's a shame to see them close.

Dealz is opening on the 11th of December

Nice, caught a glimpse inside today and it has so much work to do, but they seem to be flying through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

rameire wrote: »
    the "Tesco" has been approved Planning permission.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I don't think that it's guaranteed to be a Tesco

Advertisement