Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi decision for Athy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I don't think that it's guaranteed to be a Tesco

you are correct.

the reason why I have said it is a tesco is based on the planning application file and the drawings and layout of the site.
    all of these say to me that it is a Tesco.

it could turn out to be something else.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Rock'n'joes diner was due to shut last sunday but has extended the closing date by one month!!

They must be hoping the dealz might bring more customers in.

I hope they stay...i may be in love with the red haired woman in there...damn my shyness!! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

They didn't do enough proper research tho. Can't have much sympathy when they open a fast food place charging those prices when every chipper is doing half price or €5 meal deals for over a year now. Chicken America was the same.

Yawns wrote: »
    They didn't do enough proper research tho. Can't have much sympathy when they open a fast food place charging those prices when every chipper is doing half price or €5 meal deals for over a year now. Chicken America was the same.

I Agree but chicken america was not the same that place was a rip off everything in rockin joes is quality... the chips let them down though,Id like one of the half price ones to take that place over and offer a family experience thus keeping the red haired one in the town. :D

• Advertisement

:)

Just go in now before it's too late :D

Yawns wrote: »

Just go in now before it's too late :D

You go in for me,haha

Aldi and now dealz i genuinely believe it all came together because of that FB page.

If we get a penny's too..we will then have a 'real' town.

''feeling adverturous try our € 13.
    ANY burger or Dog, ANY Side/ or fries and ANY drink/ or shake. all this for just €13
    your crazy not to try it.''

FB post from rock'n'joes athy....ok i think they deserve to go..... I can get a beef dinner and dessert in the silken thomas for that money....

Total cluster**** from them. A simple quick look at other fast food outlets around the town would have showed €5 deals and half price on almost entire menu etc. Chicken America didn't last with a more expensive menu and these guys are learning it the hard way too unfortunately. Feel sorry for the staff but this was a tactical blunder from the top.

Lidl Athy closing this Saturday for minimum of 3 months.
    for the rebuild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Things not looking good for Tesco coming to town.

http://www.newstalk.com/Tesco-Ireland-to-make-350-night-staff-redundant

Article States plans to open 49 new stores across the UK to be scrapped & they will close 43 stores.
    No mention of Irish stores opening/closing but they might be included in the quoted numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tescos store closures here to date (Ballymun, Mulhuddart, Dun Laoghaire SC and maybe others) have not as yet stopped them opening new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

L1011 wrote: »
    Tescos store closures here to date (Ballymun, Mulhuddart, Dun Laoghaire SC and maybe others) have not as yet stopped them opening new ones.

most closures in Ireland and UK will be the tesco express or metro stores. The new guy realises tesco are not convenience retailers and neither are they a film channel! I'd expect more non core stuff to be dropped.

On new stores, I'd reckon Athy simply does not need it and it will be shelved like every other new store.

The red haired one is gone forever....

Rock'n'joes was a rip off in fairness we dont need another food place what else could go in there?

no idea what could be suitable for it tbh

Looks like Tegral are looking to extend their Planning permission Application 141021.
    This maybe why some in the Town are looking for a Northern Distributor Road instead of a Southern Road In Athy.
    Original ref 08409.

rameire wrote: »
    This maybe why some in the Town are looking for a Northern Distributor Road instead of a Southern Road In Athy.
    Original ref 08409.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO:eek::eek::eek:

I remember being brought to the Peerless Factory on a school trip (The General manager's son was in same class) back around 1980 and I remember there was excitement about the long awaited by-pass for Athy finally going ahead after years of argument about south / north.

Looks like it will be 2080 before its actually built. - By that time we'll all be flying person drones and the road won;t be needed, but it will still get built! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

What is the route of the northern distributor road? Actually are there maps anywhere that outline the exact route of the southern road as well?

there is no route for the northern disti, its just a twinkle in some peoples eyes,
    if it were done, it would be longer and more expensive than the southern disti, and cross more private land so possible more troublesome and harder to get the planning approval.

as for the southern disti, I do not know of any plans online for it,
    but it will come off the new roundabout on the Dublin side of the town, from here it will pass the graveyard, over the active train line, and then along the disused train line all the way out to the kilkenny road to near loughmans garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riggersmark

They should open a kids adventure zone somewhere in Athy the place would make a fortune. To many chippers / cheap shops in the town.

• Advertisement

Ok, what is holding this up now? No notices posted outside the site to say planning was applied for. They should be up now? What has to happen next? An election or something to get the councillors to act and push this through? Or is that what is happening? They are hanging onto the 'good news' so everyone can say what a great job they've done at election time.

nothing is holding it up,
    it was all approved, it will be built, they are probably just doing the bat survey.
    nothing to do with politics or any conspiracy.

thats if you are talking about Aldi.

Ok, what is holding this up now? No notices posted outside the site to say planning was applied for. They should be up now? What has to happen next? An election or something to get the councillors to act and push this through? Or is that what is happening? They are hanging onto the 'good news' so everyone can say what a great job they've done at election time.

Aldi is a private compnay -politics just doesn't come into it.

Their Newbridge site is ready to be moved on too as is their Cahirciveen site and of course Athy.

But once they are on site, its a 16week build from start to finish.

rameire wrote: »
    nothing is holding it up,
    it was all approved, it will be built, they are probably just doing the bat survey.
    nothing to do with politics or any conspiracy.

thats if you are talking about Aldi.
    delahuntv wrote: »
    Aldi is a private compnay -politics just doesn't come into it.

Their Newbridge site is ready to be moved on too as is their Cahirciveen site and of course Athy.

But once they are on site, its a 16week build from start to finish.

Ok, looks like I jumped the gun and thought the worst. Now the question is, is that my fault or local politicians for not instilling a sense trust in their efforts ?? :)

Ok, looks like I jumped the gun and thought the worst. Now the question is, is that my fault or local politicians for not instilling a sense trust in their efforts ?? :)

Quote from 1973
    "the bypass is imminent"

delahuntv wrote: »
    Quote from 1973
    "the bypass is imminent"

And it'll be an Irish mile long !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Aldi actually named the Athy store as opening in 2015 just before Christmas, so it will definitely open. I reckon they are just waiting on Batman to transfer his minions to Gotham first.
    Once that's done it will be built fairly quickly like the bigger Lidl store in town, which is flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Neal Ireland Hello

None of the above, in this particular case! The delay was mainly caused by business interests bringing an appeal to Board Pleanala after the council had granted permission. Local politicians, as far as I have seen, have been positive and welcoming of the store, which to answer the other question, Aldi recently confirmed (to a local Customer enquiry over Twitter) will be open by the end of Sept 2015.

None of the above, in this particular case! The delay was mainly caused by business interests bringing an appeal to Board Pleanala after the council had granted permission. Local politicians, as far as I have seen, have been positive and welcoming of the store, which to answer the other question, Aldi recently confirmed (to a local Customer enquiry over Twitter) will be open by the end of Sept 2015.

If that's true then they should be starting work fairly soon so.

• Advertisement

If that's true then they should be starting work fairly soon so.

The esb were in at the substation the other day with heavy machinery,So hopefully thats the start,But they need to start soon that factory is full of asbestos each sheet will have to be removed one at a time by hand and then bagged for removal.

Advertisement