Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon extra charges?

• 10-12-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was looking at phones on amazon.co.uk and .de and was wondering if i bought a €300 phone would there be any extra charges like vat charges or is it only going to cost me 300 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have an account I recommend just going to the checkout page to see if you can even buy it in the first place. This will show any extra vat too.

Amazon charge UK vat on the UK site, so if an item is £120 (which includes 20% uk vat) then it will increase to £123 to here, they remove uk vat and add irish. Some items can have different vat rates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

rubadub wrote: »
    If you have an account I recommend just going to the checkout page to see if you can even buy it in the first place. This will show any extra vat too.

Amazon charge UK vat on the UK site, so if an item is £120 (which includes 20% uk vat) then it will increase to £123 to here, they remove uk vat and add irish. Some items can have different vat rates though.

so when i log on to amazon and it shows the currency conversion at the side at the phone im looking at, it has included the VAT for ireland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hococop wrote: »
    so when i log on to amazon and it shows the currency conversion at the side at the phone im looking at, it has included the VAT for ireland?

Only after you select Ireland as a delivery address during checkout will Irish vat be included in the price,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Only after you select Ireland as a delivery address during checkout will Irish vat be included in the price,

ah i follow now, thanks very much

Also at checkout you get the option to pay in euro or sterling. I have kept record a few times and it always ended up cheaper to pay in sterling and use the banks conversion rates, this was compared to my credit card statement with all cross border fees etc accounted for.

Several other posters have done the same, I have never heard of a single instance when it was cheaper to pay in euro using amazons rate.

I often view it in euro to get a rough idea rather than using google or XE.

• Advertisement

Also at checkout you get the option to pay in euro or sterling. I have kept record a few times and it always ended up cheaper to pay in sterling and use the banks conversion rates, this was compared to my credit card statement with all cross border fees etc accounted for.

Several other posters have done the same, I have never heard of a single instance when it was cheaper to pay in euro using amazons rate.

I often view it in euro to get a rough idea rather than using google or XE.

yeah ive noticed that when i did the currency conversion in google there was around €15 difference in conversion,

and just did a quick check there:

there is a phone for £259 and my card conversion rate is 2.75% so that makes it £266, when i converted the price on google its €316 and when i checked amazons conversion its €321.50 so its a fiver in the difference

You will never get XE or googles conversion rate though, so don't expect to save that much. Then banks rate will be worse, and then there are usually fees.

You can check visa & mastercard rates

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

note mastercard does not have the additional fees option for the bank. You have to know these for a proper comparison.

From 2010...
    I ordered some items on amazon on 30 april. Came to

-Order Total: GBP 93.48

using their currency converter it was

-Payment Total: EUR 112,43

I checked on XE at the time and it was

93.48 GBP=107.672 EUR

Of course nobody gets this and it is usually 2-3% more than this using CC or paypal so I chose to pay in sterling via CC.

My BOI mastercard statement was
    93.48GBP RATE 0.8549 €109.34

So mastercard was only 1.5% more than XE
    Amazon was 4.4% more
    And I saved €3.09 by choosing to pay in sterling rather than use amazons converter.

My statement shows the payment on 4 May, so I wonder if it is taken on that date and if the XE rate would have been the usual 2-3% I would expect.

Advertisement