Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Cydectin? Or other product to PREVENT scab

Options
  • 10-12-2013 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Was asked to look into an injectable scab preventative. I see two injectable versions of cydectin for sale.

2% Moxidectin (LA version)
    http://www.animalfarmacy.ie/assets/products/pdf/488_cydectin%20LA%20for%20sheep.pdf

1% Moxidectin
    https://www.agridirect.ie/uploadedfiles/products/cydectin-injection-for-sheep/Cydectin-Injection.pdf

For lambs above 8 months of age, adult ewes and rams for scab prevention. Flock of around 150 animals in total.

From what I can gather (please correct me if I am wrong) to do the 150 animals the:

2% will be a 500ml bottle costing €320 and will have a persistent effect for 60 days.
    1% will be a 200ml bottle costing €100 and will have a persistent effect for 35 days.

Am I missing anything, which is best to go for? Or is it simply down to duration of persistence?

Apart from Cydectin, what other products (alternative doesn't specifically have to be injectable, but can be) are out there (excluding dip).

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Your right in your thoughts in terms of scab prevention. It would seem based on price that the 1% is the way to go unless you want to pay that much extra for the longer protection.
    The 2% is a slower acting longer lasting formulation. It also reaches higher plasma concentrations but if you just want scab prevention 1% is the way to go.
    I don't know what other products are available but perhaps some of the other avermectins may work such as doramectin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

bimectin @€;30 for 500ml will do the same job, two injections 10 day apart. its not licensed but has the same ingredients IMO

dont understand why you need persistant effect, once it gone its gone, you just need to make sure every animal gets done properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Don't want to give two injections, too much hassle on the ewes which are on rough fragmented places.

Persistence came into it as that's what was written on the leaflet, wasn't coming from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Don't want to give two injections, too much hassle on the ewes which are on rough fragmented places.

Persistence came into it as that's what was written on the leaflet, wasn't coming from me.

ok, sorry get ya know!

Are you trying to prevent or treat scab. If you are trying to prevent scab you will want some degree of persistence as I assume they dont have scab and you don't want them to get scab at all.
    If you are trying to treat scab you would simply want to clear it up and persistence becomes less important. Or have I missed what you want to do.

• Advertisement

I want to prevent it.

There is NO scab in the flock.

That's what I thought. In that case you will want persistence otherwise there would be no point in doing them.
    I still think 1% is the way to go unless the extra cost is worth not having to reinject for another 25 days.

Ok, 2% for treating scab, 2% only option IF using footrot vac.

1% will do the job for prevention.

Came from a vet associated with the product, so happy enough to go with the 1% for this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do the scab mites live on the hill ground

• Advertisement

Do the scab mites live on the hill ground

I don't know much about them Tabby. It said on SCOPS they can be on wool that's left on bushes etc. (cats can carry them too) so I imagine they will live on the hill as handy as they'll live on the lowland. On the hill there's the odd thorn bush and no shortage of rocks used as scratching posts.

Advertisement