Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects for the leaving cert

Options
  • 10-12-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Well heres my story,

I have 7 subjects (all at higher level) for my leaving cert and LCVP, making it 8. I'm aiming for 465 in the leaving to go onto UCD.

I'm very seriously considering dropping higher level spanish as we have 6 classes a week in this and only 2 in LCVP, as i feel i could get a distinction in LCVP (70 points) if i put in the work and learn exam questions as i already have a pretty good portfolio done. Would it be worth my while dropping spanish and putting work into my other subjects, as LCVP would be finished with in May leaving me time to concentrate on the others (especially with higher level maths)???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I guess it depends on your level of Spanish. If you are going to get a D something in higher and know you won't end up counting it anyway then you have nothing to lose by dropping. You'll still have your language requirement and the time to focus on your higher subjects. It sounds like you can definitely afford one ordinary level subject at least, so I'd say have a chat with your parents/school or wherever and go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Leavingcert!!

I guess it depends on your level of Spanish. If you are going to get a D something in higher and know you won't end up counting it anyway then you have nothing to lose by dropping. You'll still have your language requirement and the time to focus on your higher subjects. It sounds like you can definitely afford one ordinary level subject at least, so I'd say have a chat with your parents/school or wherever and go for it :)

If I were to count Spanish then I would need a B3 at the least but to get that i would need to put in a lot of work and get grinds for my oral work!! It seems like a no brainier to me but others have me convinced to keep at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

If I were to count Spanish then I would need a B3 at the least but to get that i would need to put in a lot of work and get grinds for my oral work!! It seems like a no brainier to me but others have me convinced to keep at it

Consider it again after the mocks or even your Christmas exams. If you need to put a lot of work/time/money into it then you could be losing out points from other subjects, remember that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Alison55

well, personally I think if a subject is taking up too much time you should drop it and you can certainly afford to do one pass subject. For me, Irish was my big weakness so I have dropped for the leaving but I am good at French so it leaves me time to concentrate on getting my A1 and then I can also put in time for higher level Maths and English and all my other subjects.

Advertisement