Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick CC to cut rates by 16% in 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I expect that Waterford city and county will drop also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I expect that Waterford city and county will drop also
    Not unless Phil Hogan gives a similar €3.5m grant to Waterford City/County Council.

Tweet from Liz Reddy, WLR:
    Liz Reddy ‏@LilyReddy 11 Dec
    Minister Phil Hogan hints to @4_JohnDeasyTD that commercial rates may be harmonised down to Dungarvan levels after #Waterford amalgamation.

It's the least he could do seeing as he forced through the Waterford City & County Council amalgamation, but if this results in a significant decrease in rates for city centre businesses then the amalgamation could actually turn out to be a positive thing for Waterford.

I expect Minister Hogan to give in the region of an EXTRA 5 MILLION to the local authorites in Waterford, in order to allow for the harmonisation of the rates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I expect Minister Hogan to give in the region of an EXTRA 5 MILLION to the local authorites in Waterford, in order to allow for the harmonisation of the rates

I'll believe it when I see it. Which will probably be never.

• Advertisement

bingo---I was wrong ;)---big phil has given an extra 5.2 million :)....big cut in rates on the way....(don't choke on that humble pie!)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

WCCBG was informed by Paudie Coffey TD that our lobbying with Minister Phil Hogan TD over the past few months has paid dividends with the award of a €5.2M Grant to the new Waterford Amalgamated Authority which is intended to be used to reduce rates!
    https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordCityCentre?ref=hl

bingo---I was wrong ;)---big phil has given an extra 5.2 million :)....big cut in rates on the way....(don't choke on that humble pie!)

Eating it now.:p But I still can't stand that man and his attitude to Waterford City.

Or this "government". Never ceases to amaze me how people will still support a party before their home City. Takes all sorts I suppose.

The caveat is "which is intended to reduce our rates".

Like the property tax was "intended" to be distributed locally?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-city-council-plans-a-massive-cut-in-commercial-rates-1-5740447

I know it has nothing to do with Waterford but the principal of the article does, its needed here in the city, both Limerick and Waterford has suffered from the same problems with major companies pulling out over the last few years leading to high unemployment.

Only difference is a University (which FG promised - never delivered)……and that matter of a €100m being ploughed into it.

Measly droppings from the cabinet table for Waterford again. And people celebrate it? No wonder we're in the mess we're in.:mad:

the policy of with-holding the property tax for 2014 only is PRECISELY the policy that allowed minister Hogan allocate an additional 5.2 million to Waterford. If he persisted with this policy of returning 80%, Waterford would lose out and larger urban areas like Dublin and Cork would benefit disproportionately. I have to say that I am stunned at the amount of people who wanted phil Hogan to implement a policy that was detrimental to Waterford's well-being!!!! THIS 5.2 MILLION EXTRA IS THE PROPERTY TAX BEING DISTRIBUTED LOCALLY!!!
    "which is intended to reduce our rates"----This MEANS THAT THE LOCAL AUTHORITY HAS TO OFFSET THE ADDITIONAL FUNDS AGAINST RATES and cant spend the money elsewhere!! I expect to see a LARGE decrease in rates in forthcoming budget...GOOD NEWS FOR CITY AND COUNTY!!

P.S. this funding is ADDITIONAL funding....the local authorities in Waterford get approx. 35 million from government funds also!!....calculate how much is collected in property tax in Waterford and compare it to what is then given back by way of funding...SEE IF IT IS GREATER THAN OR LESS THAN 80%......YOU MIGHT GET A SHOCK!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

So, does this mean that commercial rates on premises around the city, which are due to be increased by up to 2-300% in some cases, will now actually drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Silverado wrote: »
    So, does this mean that commercial rates on premises around the city, which are due to be increased by up to 2-300% in some cases, will now actually drop?

thats what they are saying, bring them down to Dungarvan levels which on the face of it (dont know much about rates) is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Rates should be tied to turnover. The better the business does, the more they contribute.

This helps to ensure that the business gets a fair deal, and the council has an extra incentive to see the business perform well. E.g. investing in improved footpaths or street lighting in a more run down area may have a positive impact on business performance, council earns more rates, everyone is a winner.

the policy of with-holding the property tax for 2014 only is PRECISELY the policy that allowed minister Hogan allocate an additional 5.2 million to Waterford. If he persisted with this policy of returning 80%, Waterford would lose out and larger urban areas like Dublin and Cork would benefit disproportionately. I have to say that I am stunned at the amount of people who wanted phil Hogan to implement a policy that was detrimental to Waterford's well-being!!!! THIS 5.2 MILLION EXTRA IS THE PROPERTY TAX BEING DISTRIBUTED LOCALLY!!!
    "which is intended to reduce our rates"----This MEANS THAT THE LOCAL AUTHORITY HAS TO OFFSET THE ADDITIONAL FUNDS AGAINST RATES and cant spend the money elsewhere!! I expect to see a LARGE decrease in rates in forthcoming budget...GOOD NEWS FOR CITY AND COUNTY!!

P.S. this funding is ADDITIONAL funding....the local authorities in Waterford get approx. 35 million from government funds also!!....calculate how much is collected in property tax in Waterford and compare it to what is then given back by way of funding...SEE IF IT IS GREATER THAN OR LESS THAN 80%......YOU MIGHT GET A SHOCK!!!!;)

What I see is €100m in state grants, etc going to Limerick as opposed to these droppings for Waterford City. But hey - YOU GO RIGHT AHEAD AND CELEBRATE BUTTY - no wonder Waterford is indeed the forgotten city. Particularly by the current "Government".

I'm not celebrating anything, but can you show me where and when this govt gave 100 million to Limerick??.....p.s. I like the way you've moved the goalposts once it was pointed out to you that Hogan allocated an extra 5.2 million!!...yesterday you said it would never happen!!!

I'm not celebrating anything, but can you show me where and when this govt gave 100 million to Limerick??.....p.s. I like the way you've moved the goalposts once it was pointed out to you that Hogan allocated an extra 5.2 million!!...yesterday you said it would never happen!!!

Hands up to that! But seriously butty - look at Limerick. €100m of the €200m is made up of state grants and loans. It is absolutely sickening. While FG walk away from a PLEDGE (cudgels etc) to provide a University in Waterford. That is the reality.

They can't even provide funding for a runway extension at Waterford Airport. It would turn the airport around and gee the area an enormous boost.

Silverado wrote: »
    If the rates for some businesses do end up actually being raised by 2-300% then any decrease of say 15-20% at Council level won't result in a decrease overall, I think, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

To explain, the Council don't decide what the actual rates fee for each business is, they set a rates figure which is something like 66.22 for the city and that is multiplied by the valuation of the business premises (which is set by the Valuation Office and that was what happened earlier this year, all premises were revalued) which produces the rates fee.

the portion of a business' rates bill that is determined by the council is set to fall

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rumour has it that Phil is going to give a cheque that will bounce, leaving Waterford Council in a crisis and needing a bailout. No other county will bail us out only Kilkenny, you see, so Phil will save the day and bail us out. But Kilkenny will now own Waterford and we will be doomed for all eternity! Its all part of the cunning and clever plan!

Doomed I tell you, doomed!

But putting aside the nonsense and conspiracy theorists that are bound to be afloat here in Waterford, I think the announcement is great news for our great City & County, while directly benefiting local businesses. Businesses and vocal opposition have been shouting about the crisis in Waterford, the rates, the lack of support they feel they are getting and that Phil Hogan is out to get Waterford. That's fine, but I think this is the proof in the pudding people have been asking (and not in the least expecting) for. Welcome it with open arms folks and lets hope its the start of an upward curve, something we badly need.

Waterford Council can now cut rates and its another step to help struggling businesses and help potential new ones. I fully admit that I am biased in my opinion here, but at the same time I speak openly and honestly regardless of the 'line' people may expect you to follow. This news is thanks to not just Phil Hogan, the very man people think is out to get Waterford, but also our representatives who are heavily criticized for doing nothing - at least, that's what people think. I have been saying for a long time that a lot of government TDs across the country do a lot of work in the background that's simply not in the public eye. Opposition TDs are vocal - that's their job, they can do nothing else anyway.

I know that Mayor Cummins has been working very heavily on this and on the issue of jobs for sometime because I have personally mentioned it to him on a number of occasions. Paudie Coffey is another example, on the ground I often hear stories of work he has done (from people, not Paudie or anybody in government or associated with the government) but its things that can't be mentioned publicly. Credit to John Deasy and Ciara Conway too, because I know that all public representatives in government and in opposition have been lobbying hard to give Waterford a break and as much of a helping hand as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Sully wrote: »
    I fully admit that I am biased in my opinion here, but at the same time I speak openly and honestly regardless of the 'line' people may expect you to follow. This news is thanks to not just Phil Hogan, the very man people think is out to get Waterford, but also our representatives who are heavily criticized for doing nothing - at least, that's what people think.
    How dare anyone criticize our representatives for doing nothing!
    They are entitled to do nothing don't ya know.

This is public representation in Ireland lest ye inferior beings forget!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I fully admit that I am biased in my opinion here, but at the same time I speak openly and honestly regardless of the 'line' people may expect you to follow.

Glad to see you admit it at last Sully. Biased towards what - FG? I'm biased towards Waterford City. Every time. As you know, I would be critical of people following a political party like sheep (particularly our alleged Government TDs), and I, and many others, see this for what it is. A sop to Waterford City and its people.

There is little to celebrate really. The money is "intended" to reduce rates. We'll watch that with interest.

In reality, it is crumbs. No two ways about it. Local and national FG representatives have watched Waterford city crash and burn - and done nothing. Their ongoing silence is testimony to this.

* An airport given, as someone said earlier, a crutch. It should be provided with the money for the extension.

* A halfway house of a "university" proposed. No doubt with its HQ in KK.

* A City council being dismantled.

* WRH being turned into a glorified A&E.

* VEC gone to Wexford.

You're probably right Sully. No conspiracy at all really.:) You do realise the straits that WRH is in - don't you?

There really is nothing to see here - except a pathetic attempt by a Government which has isolated & frustrated Waterford city at every turn. While people toed the party line and stood by & watched. And now cheerlead this "funding".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kuang1 wrote: »
    How dare anyone criticize our representatives for doing nothing!
    They are entitled to do nothing don't ya know.

This is public representation in Ireland lest ye inferior beings forget!
    :rolleyes:

You know full well what I meant.
    7upfree wrote: »
    Glad to see you admit it at last Sully. Biased towards what - FG? I'm biased towards Waterford City. Every time. As you know, I would be critical of people following a political party like sheep (particularly our alleged Government TDs), and I, and many others, see this for what it is. A sop to Waterford City and its people.

There is little to celebrate really. The money is "intended" to reduce rates. We'll watch that with interest.

In reality, it is crumbs. No two ways about it. Local and national FG representatives have watched Waterford city crash and burn - and done nothing. Their ongoing silence is testimony to this.

* An airport given, as someone said earlier, a crutch. It should be provided with the money for the extension.

* A halfway house of a "university" proposed. No doubt with its HQ in KK.

* A City council being dismantled.

* WRH being turned into a glorified A&E.

* VEC gone to Wexford.

You're probably right Sully. No conspiracy at all really.:) You do realise the straits that WRH is in - don't you?

There really is nothing to see here - except a pathetic attempt by a Government which has isolated & frustrated Waterford city at every turn. While people toed the party line and stood by & watched. And now cheerlead this "funding".

You never have anything positive to say anyway. I don't think anybody on this forum comes across like a 'sheep', most people have an opinion that's different to yours and then you just throw insults out at them and call them 'fanboys' and 'political sheep'. The fact remains is the vast majority of people who discuss politics on this forum will welcome positive news and slam negative news regardless of political opinion.

Its already been established that whatever is given to Waterford, its never going to be enough. There is a lot of positives to be taken, but you will put a dampener on it and insist its a negative. That's not a discussion, that's your own political sheep mentality that's blurring your view and not allowing for a decent genuine debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm more with 7up than you Sully, albeit in between the 2 of ye.
    This news would sit a lot better with me if there was an air of "This is good, but we have a ****load more that needs doing for the people of Waterford before we can pat ourselves on the back" about it.

I've said this before on a different thread;
    I'm all for positivity, I'm a glass half-full kind of guy about life in general. But NEVER, EVER at the expense of realism. And for me, you're guilty of this in this instance.

That's not a discussion, that's your own political sheep mentality that's blurring your view and not allowing for a decent genuine debate.

:D:D:D

Just read it back to yourself Sully. S L O W L Y!

What was that you posted about being "biased"?

ANYONE (not just you) that places a political party before this City is, truthfully, a sheep. No two ways about it. As Kuang says I am a realist. That is the difference between you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Anything positive about Waterford City in the past 12 months has come from things Waterford people have done.

Minister Noonan was on the radio the other morning and a mate told me to listen back to it. He was talking about other cities following on behind Dublin.. like Galway Limerick and Cork, and other big towns.

That shows me his mentality. It shows me that Waterford is not in his thoughts. It makes me think that Waterford is spoken about differently to the other cities behind closed doors in Dublin.

Ive 2 friends working in WRH and according to them they think they can see things dripping away from Waterford out there. As much as people who love FG talk about us getting a university, I think we'll never get one. There's too many FF/FG/Lab politicans in Cork, Wexford, KK etc that are more powerful than ours and they wouldn't let their bit of the cake be taken off them or reduced. Why would UCC be happy to see their potential Waterford based students with intelligence and drive stay at home in Waterford and not go there?

Theres a reality that I rarely see on this forum from my time having a read and its that people who complain about the peanuts Waterford people get are considered negative and should be happy, while pointing out the obvious that the other 4 cities are running ahead of us in support and every other way is looked down on.

Waterford is a great place. Winterval is magical. Its people for the most part are friendly and decent. We've everything going for us. But if all the other cities are being supported more than us, and it seems to me that they are, the death by a thousand cuts approach will hurt us.

People will say I'm being negative but my family's income is halved now since 2007-8 ish. We're looking at all the jobs available in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway. I've no political links or bother to support anyone but I can't bring myself to celebrate anything this crowd do. If other cities get massive input and we get a few crumbs, I'm not going to celebrate that.

Sad to see us being fed a diet of positive news all week. Apart from home grown positivity, I see nothin to be positive about how we're being treated here.

No university, no runway, no sign of positive news from WRH in comparison to others, no proper investment in jobs here that are suited to graduates..

Bah humbug n all but all the cheerleading around the tele and social media / newspapers these days from the lads who get comfort from being part of the groups in charge wont pay my mortgage.

Hopin for a great 2014 for Waterford and everyone in it. Just hope its not scuppered by people who want a great 2014 for everywhere bar us, and people who's loyalty is to them before their own city.

Anything positive about Waterford City in the past 12 months has come from things Waterford people have done.

Minister Noonan was on the radio the other morning and a mate told me to listen back to it. He was talking about other cities following on behind Dublin.. like Galway Limerick and Cork, and other big towns.

That shows me his mentality. It shows me that Waterford is not in his thoughts. It makes me think that Waterford is spoken about differently to the other cities behind closed doors in Dublin.

Ive 2 friends working in WRH and according to them they think they can see things dripping away from Waterford out there. As much as people who love FG talk about us getting a university, I think we'll never get one. There's too many FF/FG/Lab politicans in Cork, Wexford, KK etc that are more powerful than ours and they wouldn't let their bit of the cake be taken off them or reduced. Why would UCC be happy to see their potential Waterford based students with intelligence and drive stay at home in Waterford and not go there?

Theres a reality that I rarely see on this forum from my time having a read and its that people who complain about the peanuts Waterford people get are considered negative and should be happy, while pointing out the obvious that the other 4 cities are running ahead of us in support and every other way is looked down on.

Waterford is a great place. Winterval is magical. Its people for the most part are friendly and decent. We've everything going for us. But if all the other cities are being supported more than us, and it seems to me that they are, the death by a thousand cuts approach will hurt us.

People will say I'm being negative but my family's income is halved now since 2007-8 ish. We're looking at all the jobs available in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway. I've no political links or bother to support anyone but I can't bring myself to celebrate anything this crowd do. If other cities get massive input and we get a few crumbs, I'm not going to celebrate that.

Sad to see us being fed a diet of positive news all week. Apart from home grown positivity, I see nothin to be positive about how we're being treated here.

No university, no runway, no sign of positive news from WRH in comparison to others, no proper investment in jobs here that are suited to graduates..

Bah humbug n all but all the cheerleading around the tele and social media / newspapers these days from the lads who get comfort from being part of the groups in charge wont pay my mortgage.

Hopin for a great 2014 for Waterford and everyone in it. Just hope its not scuppered by people who want a great 2014 for everywhere bar us, and people who's loyalty is to them before their own city.

Well said. I am truly sort to hear of the position you are in. Unfortunately, people like yourself don't always post on message boards, so the reality of the situation is diluted.

"Galway, Limerick, Cork - and other big towns". Doesn't it really say it all about this Government? And those who cheerlead them? Where can you listen to this BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭space2ground1

"Galway, Limerick, Cork - and other big towns". Doesn't it really say it all about this Government? And those who cheerlead them? Where can you listen to this BTW?

Newstalk Breakfast

About 12:10 in..

Newstalk Breakfast

About 12:10 in..

Well, that just says it all really about this Government and how they view Waterford city. If ever proof was needed……

Well, that just says it all really about this Government and how they view Waterford city. If ever proof was needed……

And to cap it all off, he considers Dublin just a big awl town.

Definitely something suspicious here.

• Advertisement

And to cap it all off, he considers Dublin just a big awl town.

Definitely something suspicious here.

Sully, Sully. Where to start? He's describing Cities OUTSIDE Dublin. Will there ever come a day when you recognise your heroes for what they really are where Waterford is concerned. Ever? Are they that important to you? Really?

Did you even read Space2ground1's post?

Advertisement