Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick CC to cut rates by 16% in 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

7upfree wrote: »
    Sully, Sully. Where to start? He's describing Cities OUTSIDE Dublin. Will there ever come a day when you recognise your heroes for what they really are where Waterford is concerned. Ever? Are they that important to you? Really?

Did you even read Space2ground1's post?

Well said 7upfree and space2ground1..I'm in a similar boat to space, i can't get work in my profession in the city or county and have had to work abroad for a couple of years and in dublin for the past 2 and no have no idea if or when i might get employment back here. What has this government done for me..What jobs or investment have they made down here, what legacy have they left the people of this city, very little to none. When Talk Talk left their employee's went it on their own and generated jobs for themselves...but look at what else is leaving i.e. Citi - 50+ jobs gone and not being replaced...Bausch and Laumb, the Crystal Factory etc all jobs which have never been regenerated or replaced..This government has failed the people of this region and left it to rot whilst improving the cities of the hierarchical members of the Government...Noonan et al..

I'll be honest enough to admit I'm a Fine Gael supporter but it sickens me to see that our elected officials sit in the Dail on their hands and do nothing. I fervently believe that there is no alternative to the current government, i'd be loath to see FF back in power and see them fcuk it up again, SF are not even close to a viable option but if the 4 elected officials don't stand up and make there points heard, demand action and investment and get themselves air time then don't know if i could stand behind them at the next election..I would urge all people in the county to be asking these types of questions at your local elections next year and the next general election..

I love this city of ours and think everything that is being denied it is shambolic. We only recently got a motorway to Dublin (denied for too long by our KK cousins not willing to invest in it) but this is not enough. We need the rail link updated and expanded linking us to Cork. The airport needs to be expanded to bring tourism into the region. A major investment needs to be used on the Ferybank side of the quays which are an eyesore and make that a peoples park and get the bloody shopping centre over there opened. A major jobs initiative needs to be raised. We need a large Pharma or IT company to be brought down here with in excess of 1500 jobs. The skilled workforce is available or could be attracted to the area..We can no longer be viewed as a manufacturing town but should be aiming for a Knowledge City with the skills necessary to support many Multinational 's who could work together with the IT to help develop courses and bring it up to University status

I hope some of our learned TD's might see this and see what the people of Waterford want them to do....

I don't think even the most blinkered of Fine Gaeler could disagree with this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

brinty wrote: »
    Well said 7upfree and space2ground1..I'm in a similar boat to space, i can't get work in my profession in the city or county and have had to work abroad for a couple of years and in dublin for the past 2 and no have no idea if or when i might get employment back here. What has this government done for me..What jobs or investment have they made down here, what legacy have they left the people of this city, very little to none. When Talk Talk left their employee's went it on their own and generated jobs for themselves...but look at what else is leaving i.e. Citi - 50+ jobs gone and not being replaced...Bausch and Laumb, the Crystal Factory etc all jobs which have never been regenerated or replaced..This government has failed the people of this region and left it to rot whilst improving the cities of the hierarchical members of the Government...Noonan et al..

I'll be honest enough to admit I'm a Fine Gael supporter but it sickens me to see that our elected officials sit in the Dail on their hands and do nothing. I fervently believe that there is no alternative to the current government, i'd be loath to see FF back in power and see them fcuk it up again, SF are not even close to a viable option but if the 4 elected officials don't stand up and make there points heard, demand action and investment and get themselves air time then don't know if i could stand behind them at the next election..I would urge all people in the county to be asking these types of questions at your local elections next year and the next general election..

I love this city of ours and think everything that is being denied it is shambolic. We only recently got a motorway to Dublin (denied for too long by our KK cousins not willing to invest in it) but this is not enough. We need the rail link updated and expanded linking us to Cork. The airport needs to be expanded to bring tourism into the region. A major investment needs to be used on the Ferybank side of the quays which are an eyesore and make that a peoples park and get the bloody shopping centre over there opened. A major jobs initiative needs to be raised. We need a large Pharma or IT company to be brought down here with in excess of 1500 jobs. The skilled workforce is available or could be attracted to the area..We can no longer be viewed as a manufacturing town but should be aiming for a Knowledge City with the skills necessary to support many Multinational 's who could work together with the IT to help develop courses and bring it up to University status

I hope some of our learned TD's might see this and see what the people of Waterford want them to do....

I don't think even the most blinkered of Fine Gaeler could disagree with this....

In fairness that is the most accurate description of events affecting Waterford that I have seen in an awful long time. And is an indictment of this sham of a Government. And our "TDs". The silence of the cheerleaders is truly deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

In fairness that is the most accurate description of events affecting Waterford that I have seen in an awful long time. And is an indictment of this sham of a Government. And our "TDs". The silence of the cheerleaders is truly deafening.

fair enough comments from brinty alright, not to worry '2014 is going to be the year of jobs' according to the new plan:rolleyes:. I feel let down by FG/Lab, jobs is what matters here, there has been none forthcoming which have any significant look of govt influence. Some medium sized investment in infrastruture (flood protection, small bit in VT, fire station etc) is welcome but we need so much more. Eg. they say we dont have suitable spaces, why arent they helping us by building some, yes they applied and got PP but not a block on ground. Private enterprise is hopefully going to provide space for businesses in the old Crystal site. Increased visits from IDA are most welcome but even taking into account a time lag from visit to investment, you get the impression that they showed some prospective employers a half hearted attempt to locate in Waterford/SE.

Realistically, i cant see them dropping 5m to do runway properly. What they should do is an IDA SE director based in Waterford, proper investment in WIT/Uni, not just a name change and proper sites constructed and promoted in area. One of the challenges i think and i may be wrong is that 9/10 of the top pharma companies are here already, a lot of the big IT/tech companies are here (Dublin) already, is there new big employers out there? are the jobs for Waterford/SE gonna have to come from start-ups, smaller companies, Irish companies, in other sectors, etc?
    What can we do, support local shops, businesses, music and arts events and restaurants in city centre.

Max Powers wrote: »
    fair enough comments from brinty alright, not to worry '2014 is going to be the year of jobs' according to the new plan:rolleyes:. I feel let down by FG/Lab, jobs is what matters here, there has been none forthcoming which have any significant look of govt influence. Some medium sized investment in infrastruture (flood protection, small bit in VT, fire station etc) is welcome but we need so much more. Eg. they say we dont have suitable spaces, why arent they helping us by building some, yes they applied and got PP but not a block on ground. Private enterprise is hopefully going to provide space for businesses in the old Crystal site. Increased visits from IDA are most welcome but even taking into account a time lag from visit to investment, you get the impression that they showed some prospective employers a half hearted attempt to locate in Waterford/SE.

Realistically, i cant see them dropping 5m to do runway properly. What they should do is an IDA SE director based in Waterford, proper investment in WIT/Uni, not just a name change and proper sites constructed and promoted in area. One of the challenges i think and i may be wrong is that 9/10 of the top pharma companies are here already, a lot of the big IT/tech companies are here (Dublin) already, is there new big employers out there? are the jobs for Waterford/SE gonna have to come from start-ups, smaller companies, Irish companies, in other sectors, etc?
    What can we do, support local shops, businesses, music and arts events and restaurants in city centre.

I met a man in when out recently and got talking. Apparently he was some kind of statistical analyst on regions, how they're performing etc. While there is the tiniest of turnarounds, two of the most neglected and under-performing areas are Waterford and Wexford.

He quoted that some German industrialists were being brought to Waterford and were already fed up by the time they got to North KK. They couldn't understand why the Airport couldn't take jets so that they could fly directly in. Says it all really.

That airport - and a university - are the keys to our success. Which are being kept UNDER lock and key by FG……and their neighbouring "representatives".

I met a man in when out recently and got talking. Apparently he was some kind of statistical analyst on regions, how they're performing etc. While there is the tiniest of turnarounds, two of the most neglected and under-performing areas are Waterford and Wexford.

He quoted that some German industrialists were being brought to Waterford and were already fed up by the time they got to North KK. They couldn't understand why the Airport couldn't take jets so that they could fly directly in. Says it all really.

That airport - and a university - are the keys to our success. Which are being kept UNDER lock and key by FG……and their neighbouring "representatives".

Tut tut 7up...how can you say such a thing....sure this isn't the same beloved "representatives" who stood on the steps of the Tower and said when I'm in charge waterford will get nothing!!!!

And who'd blame said Germans industrialists!! Bloody KK.....I feel violated coming into North KK myself!!!!

Re Max, I know what your saying re the Pharma's and IT multinationals but the point i'd make is surely the government could try to incentivise them down to here. I'm not talking manufacturing, i'd be talking more in terms of shared service centres etc.. Novartis have bought a huge building in Dublin to house 600+ in a shared service centre, Dundalk got 400+ new jobs with Ebay/ Paypal during the year i think!!! And these are only some of the announcements made in this year. Imagine what that could do for Waterford getting like something those figures. We have the talent pool and facilities to accommadate something like that in the industrial estates. CitiBank will be unoccupied next year, Mcinerney's is going unoccupied, B&Q is unoccupied..off the top of my head. We just need to attract 1 or 2 of these large companies to get things going and we could hope to attract more thereafter by developing the airport and ugrading the WIT. There are new shared service centres opening in Dublin on a regular basis so even if we couldn't get the above large ones 10 smaller centres with 50+ jobs each would be great.

I also agree with your point re spending in the city centre , this needs to be encouraged and the city council shopping centres need to be made aware of the numbers going elsewhere (Cork, Dublin and KK) because of high parking rates, continuous road works etc etc..

We should be looking at utilising the Waterford 1100 celebrations, these should be balsted out nationwide and making people aware that we are the oldest city in the country, and show them the Viking Triangle. I'm sick of hearing about Limerick being the "Capital of Culture 2014" blah blah....

We have a great wee spot for foodies and this should be encouraged, try and make Waterford a centre for food excellence and get tourism trips coming this way. Food tourism is becoming a bit of a boom industry and how many different craft breweries do we have going that could be used as a day trip.

All these things would help get money into the city and county coffers. As the old saying goes You need to spend a little to make a lot and these are just some of hthe things that could be done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

a\irport is in wrong location in my opinion...location between Waterford and new ross would be ideal location...cork airport is seen as the most viable option for those living in west Waterford...

a\irport is in wrong location in my opinion...location between Waterford and new ross would be ideal location...cork airport is seen as the most viable option for those living in west Waterford...

Yes - and Waterford is the most viable for those stretching from mid-Waterford to South Tipp, South KK, and South Wexford.

I see Minister Noonan has managed to wangle 300 new pharma jobs down to Limerick with 600 construction jobs to set it up.
    Do our representatives Deasy, Coffey, Conway and Halligan raise their voices at all...
    God forgive me for saying but at least Cullen raised his voice...

I see Minister Noonan has managed to wangle 300 new pharma jobs down to Limerick with 600 construction jobs to set it up.
    Do our representatives Deasy, Coffey, Conway and Halligan raise their voices at all...
    God forgive me for saying but at least Cullen raised his voice...

Just as a point of clarification...Martin Cullen sat at the cabinet table and implemented policies that cost thousands of jobs in wateford and the south east...He was part of a government that destroyed our economy with unsustainable policies...He was a great friend of the developers too...sure, didn't they finance his campaigns....How are fixed now after Cullen and co????

Just as a point of clarification...Martin Cullen sat at the cabinet table and implemented policies that cost thousands of jobs in wateford and the south east...He was part of a government that destroyed our economy with unsustainable policies...He was a great friend of the developers too...sure, didn't they finance his campaigns....How are fixed now after Cullen and co????

Smiley, i don't disagree with a word of what you said and i did say i was loath to say anything good about him but the thing was at least he was at the cabinet table, pushing the Waterford agenda and getting air time and facial recognition...our 3 gov't td's are not...when's the last time you saw any of them getting airtime...could anyone even identify them by name??? i doubt it

• Advertisement

what policies did he implement that cost us thousands of jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A tad general Smiley, only for Cullen the bridge , motorway and outer ring road would have gone elsewhere no doubt, your comments about his donations is pure speculation on your part as regards the rest no arguments

As opposed to the current economic parasites? And subservients of the Troika????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

what policies did he implement that cost us thousands of jobs?

I think the poster meant that as a member of cabinet from 2002 to 2010 he would have shared some of their collective responsibility for some of the horrendus policy implemented during that period, which cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the poster meant that as a member of cabinet from 2002 to 2010 he would have shared some of their collective responsibility for some of the horrendus policy implemented during that period, which cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

well if that is the case then the original poster should re-write up/clarify his comments because the original posting was erroneous. Martin Cullen was hardly a driving force behind those failed policies by Bertie et al, just look at today, outside of Kenny, Noonan and Gilmore there aint many people being asked what they think of govt policy, yeah, sure they are all a party to it but blaming one man (if that man isnt one of our former taoiseachs or min of finance) is just misleading, like the original post. When he was a minister, he didnt implement any policies that cost Waterford 000's of jobs. Im no defender of former public (self) servants but lets try and keep it reasonably close to reality.

well if that is the case then the original poster should re-write up/clarify his comments because the original posting was erroneous. Martin Cullen was hardly a driving force behind those failed policies by Bertie et al, just look at today, outside of Kenny, Noonan and Gilmore there aint many people being asked what they think of govt policy, yeah, sure they are all a party to it but blaming one man (if that man isnt one of our former taoiseachs or min of finance) is just misleading, like the original post. When he was a minister, he didnt implement any policies that cost Waterford 000's of jobs. Im no defender of former public (self) servants but lets try and keep it reasonably close to reality.

Things are quite different in the current structure. Most of the major economic policy is driven from two Departments - The Department of Public Expenditure & Reform and the Dept. of Finance.

The Ministers of those two Departments, along with the Tanaiste and the Taoiseach, as well as their senior officials, will have membership of the Economic Management Council. People like Joan Burton would be furious not to have to membership of bodies such as this.

This is only a new thing. While Finance always made a lot of policy decisions, and still do, the members of Cabinet must be in agreement before any decisions are rubber stamped. Cullen would have had an armchair view of everything from policies which fueled property speculation to those which agreed to the bailout.

But if we think that all the decisions in the country are made by such a small handful of people, we shouldn't really be bashing our individual TDs at all for their lack of influence.

Things are quite different in the current structure. Most of the major economic policy is driven from two Departments - The Department of Public Expenditure & Reform and the Dept. of Finance.

The Ministers of those two Departments, along with the Tanaiste and the Taoiseach, as well as their senior officials, will have membership of the Economic Management Council. People like Joan Burton would be furious not to have to membership of bodies such as this.

This is only a new thing. While Finance always made a lot of policy decisions, and still do, the members of Cabinet must be in agreement before any decisions are rubber stamped. Cullen would have had an armchair view of everything from policies which fueled property speculation to those which agreed to the bailout.

But if we think that all the decisions in the country are made by such a small handful of people, we shouldn't really be bashing our individual TDs at all for their lack of influence.

Yes Hardy we should be hammering them..they are our voice in government and should push our agenda..look at Lucinda Creighton on the abortion issues..put her self out there and got exposure...when's the last time any 1 of our 3 did something like that (other than Deasy and the stupid smoking in the Dail bar after the smoking ban was introduced when FF were in Gov't...says it all really)

I wish people would stop using 'says it all really' when it doesnt say it all really. im not directing this at last poster/post, it seems to be used a lot on here like it is the final rebuttal in an argument.

I wish people would stop using 'says it all really' when it doesnt say it all really. im not directing this at last poster/post, it seems to be used a lot on here like it is the final rebuttal in an argument.

Not intended in that way at all Max :rolleyes:

Yes Hardy we should be hammering them..they are our voice in government and should push our agenda..look at Lucinda Creighton on the abortion issues..put her self out there and got exposure...when's the last time any 1 of our 3 did something like that (other than Deasy and the stupid smoking in the Dail bar after the smoking ban was introduced when FF were in Gov't...says it all really)

Lucinda as a result was kicked out of her party, has lost her job (as Minister for European Affairs as opposed to a TD), and the legislation she objected to went through anyway.

She is now outside the tent in terms of influncing policy, and her constituents will suffer as a result. Terrific exposure.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    A tad general Smiley, only for Cullen the bridge , motorway and outer ring road would have gone elsewhere no doubt, your comments about his donations is pure speculation on your part as regards the rest no arguments

read the declared donations to martin Cullen in 2002 and then come back and tell me it is "pure speculation" on my part!!!

http://m.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Annual-Disclosures/Disclosure-by-TDs,-Senators-and-MEPs/2002-Donations-disclosed/Table-1.html

Lucinda as a result was kicked out of her party, has lost her job (as Minister for European Affairs as opposed to a TD), and the legislation she objected to went through anyway.

She is now outside the tent in terms of influncing policy, and her constituents will suffer as a result. Terrific exposure.

True she might be outside the tent for now but she'll be back in the fold before the next general election or supporting FG/Lab as an independent. And how much air time and column inches did she get for her objections. More than our 3 in their whole term in office. And wasn't she a minister too despite being in her first term in office..has Deasy ever had a ministerial position (i ask becasue i don't know) She'll be voted back in by her constituents because they know who she is, what she has done and what she's willing to do.

read the declared donations to martin Cullen in 2002 and then come back and tell me it is "pure speculation" on my part!!!

http://m.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Annual-Disclosures/Disclosure-by-TDs,-Senators-and-MEPs/2002-Donations-disclosed/Table-1.html

He's hardly the only one. Smiley, I might have asked you before, but are you a sitting Councillor of member of the FG party?

Not really. There are times when a statement really does say it all (encompasses) something about a point or individual.

Agree 100%. These people are aware of this when they run for office. FFS if you don't perform in ANY job people will get onto you.

True she might be outside the tent for now but she'll be back in the fold before the next general election or supporting FG/Lab as an independent. And how much air time and column inches did she get for her objections. More than our 3 in their whole term in office. And wasn't she a minister too despite being in her first term in office..has Deasy ever had a ministerial position (i ask becasue i don't know) She'll be voted back in by her constituents because they know who she is, what she has done and what she's willing to do.

She's in her second term - was first elected in 2007 at the age of 27.

No doubting she is a top performer, I'd have a lot of respect for her. That's why she was given an important role at such a young age, despite making a move against Kenny with Deasy & co. She hasn't committed to run in next election as she's recently become pregnant, and has hinted at spending more time with her family.

Her rebellion was brought about by a topic which a) she believed she was lied to about by her party, and b) was something that was extremely close to her personal beliefs. It's probably a bad example in contrast to something like lack of a University in Waterford for example.

Deasy - who knows. I don't know if he's up to much. Bar the occasional statement he doesn't pop up much. He made a couple of poor judgement choices which didn't paint him in the best of light. On the surface he looks like a lad who has more in him but couldn't be bothered/realises he's an outsider and won't have much impact.

Agree 100%. These people are aware of this when they run for office. FFS if you don't perform in ANY job people will get onto you.

Also, when I was making that point, I was referring to a post where it was suggested that only four ministers made policy decisions in this country, i.e. Cullen wasn't culpable for FF policies in the 00's.

I would definitely agree that people should be held accountable for their performance, but we must have clearer criteria from which we base our performance assessment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭space2ground1

What difference does any of this make to the point that Waterford is being left behind today.. 2013..

While we argue over Cullen, Cork Airport got an extra 50000 seats and 2 new aircraft based there. Limerick got 300 third level qualified jobs and 600 construction jobs to put them there. Dublin has new high level jobs every day.

Fianna Fáil led the country into a heap. This crowd have tried to lead everyone out of it, but it looks to me like they've consciously decided to leave Waterford drop. Conspiracy theory? Get back to me when theres 1000 more third level jobs within 20 miles of Waterford City and then I'll believe it was all a coincidence.

What difference does any of this make to the point that Waterford is being left behind today.. 2013..

While we argue over Cullen, Cork Airport got an extra 50000 seats and 2 new aircraft based there. Limerick got 300 third level qualified jobs and 600 construction jobs to put them there. Dublin has new high level jobs every day.

Fianna Fáil led the country into a heap. This crowd have tried to lead everyone out of it, but it looks to me like they've consciously decided to leave Waterford drop. Conspiracy theory? Get back to me when theres 1000 more third level jobs within 20 miles of Waterford City and then I'll believe it was all a coincidence.

In a nutshell really. The FG cheerleaders are eerily quiet.

• Advertisement

+1 on this but if there were the 1000 positions created you can be sure our friend from from the north will ensure they are in his constituency...

Unless there's positions created by the thousands in waterford city and county i'll continue to be dissatisfied.

Also on 7-ups point the FG backers have gone to ground because they have no come back on any of this...

Advertisement