Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick CC to cut rates by 16% in 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

What difference does any of this make to the point that Waterford is being left behind today.. 2013..

While we argue over Cullen, Cork Airport got an extra 50000 seats and 2 new aircraft based there. Limerick got 300 third level qualified jobs and 600 construction jobs to put them there. Dublin has new high level jobs every day.

Fianna Fáil led the country into a heap. This crowd have tried to lead everyone out of it, but it looks to me like they've consciously decided to leave Waterford drop. Conspiracy theory? Get back to me when theres 1000 more third level jobs within 20 miles of Waterford City and then I'll believe it was all a coincidence.

pretty much how i feel about FG/lab over the last few years, talk, plans, some small gestures and more talk about doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There will always be some political influence in where funding goes, e.g. the Irish Water jobs going to Kilkenny, Wexford Hospital getting funds where it mightn't have otherwise etc.

However, the jobs that went to Limerick earlier in the week would have had feck all to do with Noonan. Limerick has a transatlantic airport for the US execs to get to, and a University providing graduates.

We can crib and moan about not having a better airport or a University, but those things won't be coming, the funds just won't be there for the forseeable future.

As a result, all Waterford will probably get are bits and pieces. Translantic companies don't want to locate too far away from an airport. IT companies (which are in a bubble which will probably soon burst) won't locate outside of Dublin because of the huge hub of talent there. So, Waterford is just a very difficult sell at the moment, and will be for the considerable future.

Some people might find my outlook overly negative, but this is just how I see it. The national economy will improve gradually over the next couple of years, but Waterford will lag behind as the policy will be to back easier wins in the form of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

hardybuck wrote: »
    We can crib and moan about not having a better airport or a University, but those things won't be coming, the funds just won't be there for the forseeable future.

The unfortunate thing is that we are perceived to be "cribbing and moaning" when we seek parity with others. This should be a given.

Advertisement